possible gem

Brlazar

Reaction score
73 CSI 4 spd, chamonix white, black leather, sunroof, a/c , all original. Was parked approx 23 yrs ago and covered up and left sitting since. I'm ready to start a refurbishment or entertaining selling. Car was near mint when parked. slight bubbling above drivers rocker panel and black rocker itself showing some rust. trunk lid edge bubbled but very minor. lots of rust proofing in engine bay, which seems to have worked!, full toolkit, Interior- black leather, drivers seat, headliner need attention. csl sway bar was added by Bavarian Specialties in King of Prussia Pa when engine was rebuilt , brakes redone, a/c redone and windows attended too just prior to car being parked. I have receipts , but its long time since that work was done....no more than 1000 mile put on it since that work was done. While car has sat, a bad thing for these coupes, It still seems like a refurbishment rather than restoration is all thats needed to bring it back to excellent condition. never hit, all orig, low rust from initial investigation. I know what she'll be worth when done, Have good idea what shes worth currently and open to entertain offers. Plan on taking on refurbishment in October/November unless I sell 1st.
Perfect "buy the best you can" candidate in my honest opinion. 100% intact, all trim, everything.....

Michael Kaye

Site Donor
Reaction score
Any pictures? Before storage and now?

just interested- I’m not in the market as I bought my own unrestored/original Chamonix last year.

Good luck though.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
By parked 23 years ago you mean parked on the street? In a garage?

Brlazar

Reaction score
to all....... I am out of town until 9/15, will take picsafter I bring her out of storage and wash her up....... plan on starting refreshment in October if I dont get a reasonable offer.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
If you can get it running reasonably well, it'll add greatly to selling price you'll get.

Sunroof/AC CSi's are rare. Definitely desirable IMHO (lotsa folks shy away from sunroof cars; not me!).

I'd get it running and all the bugs worked out and drive it. You may just keep it unless someone offers you stupid money for it.

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
im out of town but started digging her out last week
besides dirty and mouse droppings, and some dry rot to drivers seat, steering wheel and headliner starting to sag, not bad at all

Oh no! Mouse droppings also means urine & nests. I purchased a 1968 BMW 1600 Cabriolet that fit this description in September 2019. $25K later & the stench is gone. Took care of all desiccated rubber meaning all the rubber, new clutch, new brakes, water pump, radiator, general cleaning & disinfecting, new interior & top.

IMG_3514.jpeg

Brlazar

Reaction score
If you can get it running reasonably well, it'll add greatly to selling price you'll get.

Sunroof/AC CSi's are rare. Definitely desirable IMHO (lotsa folks shy away from sunroof cars; not me!).

I'd get it running and all the bugs worked out and drive it. You may just keep it unless someone offers you stupid money for it.

big decisions coming up....... work the bugs out, put new front seat covers, headliner, steering wheel, only minor , very minor surface rust and no real issues of rust apparent at all..based on inspection of exterior, trunk and hood search, and behind glove box all look good. strut towers are in excellent shape.... paint pretty good but deserves attention , needs new rubber seals, tires and call it a day and have a sweet ride, worth some coin.......... or send out for higher level refurbishment but full restoration not needed ( from my point of view) when done, shed be up there with the real high end cars as all orig , low mileage csi sunroof/air, pre big bumpers, all power windows are certainly bring big bucks these days.

loved driving it back in the day, like a swiss watch on wheels...... life got in the way one year and after it sat for a year, the cover went on, junk in the garage started sealing her off from view and 22 yrs later....... life allows her resurrection.

Last edited:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
@Brlazar,

If you aren’t sure how to post pictures, you can text them to me. I can send you my cell (or email).

I have to admit, I’m having a hard time
wrapping my brain around parking a running car with negligible issues for 20 years. Everyone has their priorities, but it seems most project cars “ran when parked”.

My advice for anyone selling a car that is a project or one that doesn’t run. Don’t start from the top of the market and use derivative logic to arrive at a price for your vehicle.

For instance, if I was to value my project, I would start with a comp that was a running car with significant rust issues, and arrive at an adjacent estimate, or start tacking on bonus items such as rare parts, features, color, etc. If the car doesn’t run, it is a project car, and should use a project car baseline.

Motors take on moisture, and water can bore a hole through your cylinder wall. One can tack on a $10K price tag just to get a nothing-special drivetrain installed and the brakes rebuilt.

What I see now is the coupe at the top of the market, and individuals immediately assuming that their car is worth quite a bit. BaT is still producing vehicles hitting reserve-not-met in the $30K range. Impulse buying at the top of the market does not relfect what it takes to get a (running) driver-grade coupe roadworthy. All new rubber costs $2K for example.

I’m not trying to downplay your vehicle. I think for anyone to seriously jump on it, they will need a VIN and a photo album. Either that or a site visit. Possible gem’s and barn finds are out there. The coupe that @OCCoupe picked up is a great example. Need more info!

FYI - This is advice for sellers. Buyers on the other hand come in all flavors. The prices I mentioned are seller considerations. The $10K motor concession and $2K rubber concession is something a buyer can throw at a seller, even if they plan to do the work themselves. Sellers do not have the advantage of minimizing the amount of effort it takes to make a vehicle great.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I am confused.

Low mileage yet the engine was rebuilt.
Parked in owners garage but has mice droppings. If I had mice in my garage I would fix that first.
Excited to start refurbishing unless he gets an offer.
Covering a near mint coupe in a garage kills the visual enjoyment of seeing it every time you walk by.
Unless you live in the Persian Gulf and you need to protect the seats from the hot sun there should be a law against seat covers on coupes.

All in all reads like a teaser to generate interest ahead of pictures. In that sense it worked :).

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The owner seems to have divided wishes. Not easily resolved. My advice keep it, restore it to some level that satisfies you and drive the devil out it. All of us can tell you about the literally hundreds, I do mean hundreds, of previous owners who come up to us at shows, in parking lots, gas stations, or even at red lights and tell the same story, like the Ancient Mariner(look it up you non-English majors).

The last time that happened to me I stopped the guy in the giant SUV who started to tell me his sad story of woe and regret and said I know what you are going to say, gave him the six point story and he laughed and shook his head.

Don't be one of those guys.

That said, I have just sold my coupe to a new steward. But I am 79, done everything including track my coupe, not driving it enough and it needs work and $$$s I can't put into it. Oh and in Jan. I bought a cherry 76 2002 with 78,000 on the clock. So I did not go cold turkey.

Steve