Power steering pump wailing

billpatterson

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi there

During reassembly, I used 'power steering pump' fluid with new return and pressure hoses. It worked fine for a bit then the pump began to 'wail'. I had only driven the car after reassemble a few times; maybe 2 hours. So checking into the forum and the web I changed the fluid to (Lucas) ATF, as recommended. After the changing the fluid, the pump did not wail, the steering was smooooth, and the fluid circulated clear. After about 30 minutes, the fluid began to circulate with these micro bubbles and the pump began to wail again.

Any thoughts insight Forum members!?

I have no issues with rebuilding or getting the pump rebuilt. Though I'm hopeful it is something else.

Thanks again!

-Bill

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
What about the filter?

Attachments

• 82903AC7-A6D6-4F19-B66F-EBFD2E3E9803.png
    82903AC7-A6D6-4F19-B66F-EBFD2E3E9803.png
    196.4 KB · Views: 120

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
Check that you have hooked up the hose supplying the pump to the nipple on the bottom of the reservoir and the return from the steering box to the curved one that comes up into the side of the reservoir. If your fluid level goes low (keep the lid off and visually check as the steering is owrked side to side) and you have the hoses reversed it could be sucking air in the reservoir.

billpatterson

Site Donor
Reaction score
UPDATE

Thanks for the advice to check hoses/fittings, sfdon!

So the other night I drained the system, removed all hoses, and reinstalled them. When reinstalling I applied blue Hylomar to the crush washers and threads on the high pressure hose and between the low pressure fittings and hoses of the fluid canister and the pump fitting before reclamping. I noticed a few of my clamps were striped/would only tighten so much before skipping. I also noticed that the low pressure fitting for the pump would slip into or out of the hose depending on the position of the clamp; basically a single clamp would squeeze in to or out of the hose (!?); this was so frustrating. So... I 'captured' the fitting between 2 hose clamps; the 1st keeps the fitting from going too far into the hose and the 2nd tightens the hose around the fitting. I refilled the system; followed protocol of turning the steering wheel left and right for several times, with the coil lead detached, while turning over engine/spinning pump. I then topped up the fluid by running the car for a bit. I let the car sit overnight and last night ran the car after installing the correct Pertronix ignition (that's another story) :) and the system runs smooth and does not produce a wailing sound or those microbubbles (from sucking in air from somewhere and cavitating the pump and frothing the ATF).

It is important to note that at no time were there any fluid leaks. The air could be sucked in but fluid could not leak out. I think this indicates that the air leak was on the low pressure side of the system.

Regards,
Bill

Attachments

• PS reservoir.jpg
    PS reservoir.jpg
    222.2 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Glad to hear.
I had the return hose on my M5 (low pressure) collapse partially, would cause this problem.
Gary

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
UPDATE

Thanks for the advice to check hoses/fittings, sfdon!

So the other night I drained the system, removed all hoses, and reinstalled them. When reinstalling I applied blue Hylomar to the crush washers and threads on the high pressure hose and between the low pressure fittings and hoses of the fluid canister and the pump fitting before reclamping. I noticed a few of my clamps were striped/would only tighten so much before skipping. I also noticed that the low pressure fitting for the pump would slip into or out of the hose depending on the position of the clamp; basically a single clamp would squeeze in to or out of the hose (!?); this was so frustrating. So... I 'captured' the fitting between 2 hose clamps; the 1st keeps the fitting from going too far into the hose and the 2nd tightens the hose around the fitting. I refilled the system; followed protocol of turning the steering wheel left and right for several times, with the coil lead detached, while turning over engine/spinning pump. I then topped up the fluid by running the car for a bit. I let the car sit overnight and last night ran the car after installing the correct Pertronix ignition (that's another story) :) and the system runs smooth and does not produce a wailing sound or those microbubbles (from sucking in air from somewhere and cavitating the pump and frothing the ATF).

It is important to note that at no time were there any fluid leaks. The air could be sucked in but fluid could not leak out. I think this indicates that the air leak was on the low pressure side of the system.

Regards,
Bill

Bill, yes, been there, done that...

https://e9coupe.com/forum/threads/m...cesses-tips-and-faqs.35635/page-2#post-310614

post #39