Power to tail light - Short found THANKS!!

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Now I know the fuse is the culprit. Each time I change it the new fuse blows.

I just had the car out to look at the lights at night. When I turn on the LEFT turn signal everylight on the tail flashes except the RIGHT turn signal and the aforementioned n
tail light with the blown fuse.

HELP :roll:

blumax

(deceased)
Reaction score
No light on one side

be sure the ground wire in the assembly is clean and attached--easy to forget if you had it all apart--if connected bsck track with your tester and find out where there is power--checking where the wiring is split off from the left rear--also if there is corrosion build up at the rivet holding your passenger side assembly together there may be enough resistance to prevent current flowing to the individual sockets and may require drilling out the old rivet--then thorughly cleaning the contact surfaces--then re-riveting with a fresh rivet--

when doing mine I did both sides and used copper rivets to give it the best ground potential--all now work fine--Rakearch on this board tipped me off to this fix and indeed it did correct all erratic lighting that I had thought to be socket related--if this also works for you plan to do the driver side and you will be good for another 30+ years.

CookeD

Reaction score
Stan,

This may sound simple, but make sure the fuse for that side is good, and that the contacts at the fuse panel are a-ok.

When I first went through my car after purchase, I had a taillight that would not illuminate, and the fuse was the last thing I checked. All is now well.

Good luck,

John

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Tail lights

I think the fuse is good because the back up light, brake light and turn signal all work. Just the 5W wo't light.

Looking closely at the female end of the wire I see were the wires are thin from wiggling the spade back and forth in an effort to keep the light on. I guess I could keep cutting back the wire until I get to a point where the fresh end is live?

OR, I could unwrap the electrical tape and look for any other obvious breaks in the wire.

Suggestions?

jhjacobs

Reaction score
The left and right tail lights are supposed to be on separate fuses (right is #1, left is #3). If the front running lights come on the switch and fuses are good. More than likely you have a problem with a broken wire; the most common place for a break is right at the connector. It is pretty easy to crimp on a new connector. The common problem, and actually more likely, is that the socket is corroded and not letting current flow. Under the bulb there is a springy brass-like connector lead that is supposed to touch the bottom of the bulb. Sometimes these can fixed just by bending them back up a bit. Another problem is the socket seat. Sometimes simple several repeated install / uninstalls will clean it up enough to work.

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I just had the car out to look at the lights at night. When I turn on the LEFT turn signal everylight on the tail flashes except the RIGHT turn signal and the aforementioned tail light with the blown fuse.

Thoughts?

jhjacobs

Reaction score
A few questions:

1. Are they flashing dimly?
2. Are they flashing oppositely from the left signal (single on, all light out and vice versa)?

My first instinct is that you have a strange ground loop. Are you sure you haven't reversed some wires in the back? Alternately you could have some shorts. The most vulnerable spot is where the wires run up under the jack and lug wrench; the jack could easily rub through the wires with time if it was placed on directly on them.

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Results!

OK, I checked out the L tail light assembly and found a loose ground wire. I used a needle nose pliers to gently tighten that contact and the problem of all lights flash is resolved.

I am still having a booger of a time trying to find the short that is causing the #3 fuse to burn out.

Same problem with #5 fuse, cigar lighter

I have never chased down a short before, any tips?