Prices of 72 csl

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score

Nash

Reaction score
Valuing this car without seeing it is tough.

But, using a bit of common sense dictates this is valued by the company a rather large discount to what they normally value a decent car at.

Saying a car has never been restored, does not mean it has never had paint, certainly the vinyl roof is a worry. Did this car have a sunroof fitted in the 80s? Just a guess.

Condition is the most important, it might be a good car, I will let somebody else make that decision, but we saw what looked like a decent RHD Tiaga CSL sell in a day or two last year for 35k GBP asking price.

The difference in price between a good CSL and a bad one is rightly significant, every guy who has restored a E9 will tell you the costs are larger than even that difference.

if somebody goes to look at it, I might recommend a paint reader or magnet.

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
My guess is 50-60k, if it is reasonably devoid of rust (a tall order).

This car is the most common variant of CSL--injected RHD. Injected LHD, non BAT were more rare. BATs and carburated cars are rare still.

The asking price is intriguing, for sure.

Scott

barely03

Reaction score
I talked to the seller and it was factory ordered vinyl roof and sunroof. He thinks the hood and trunk might have been painted but is mostly original paint, with very little rust, just a couple of paint bubbles.

Barely03

30csl

Site Donor
Reaction score
Vinyl roof was a BMw GB option. A few csls even had sunroofs and consensus is that was at the factory.

I imagine if you are thinking of buying this car to send to the US and make a profut on it you will be disappointed - not only will it always be a rhd car but as pointed out it is the most common variant and if it hasnt been restored it will have rust.

There is a rhd chassis number car in the US and Cam Holliday had one in Canada too.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
LHD conversions

A few years ago there was a nicely restored RHD CSL w LHD conversion for sale in OZ.
The car had gotten a proper bare-metal, panels-off redo in fjord, plus the addition of a full roll
cage and safety equipment for vintage racing. Overall, I think this was a great car, and an ideal situation for justifying a RHD to LHD conversion Assuming the sanctioning bodies accept the car.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Rust

I talked to the seller and it was factory ordered vinyl roof and sunroof. He thinks the hood and trunk might have been painted but is mostly original paint, with very little rust, just a couple of paint bubbles.

Barely03

" just a couple of paint bubbles"
That's what they all say, but remember that these rust from the inside out. When you see a few bubbles, it typically means there is a lot more underneath.

jvrenaudon

Reaction score
RHD to LHD

I beg to differ from what 3.0csl says about a sunshine roof being available as a factory option. That was not the case in 1972 when my 2285295 was built. I coveted the sunshine roof on my friend's CSI at the time but was informed that the same was not, repeat not, available on the CSL. I was warned off having a "roof" retro-fitted, thankfully. Whether I am right or 3.0csl is right matters little. Quite apart from the cost/reward of converting from RHD to LHD you have to consider how easy it will be to persuade a prospective purchaser of the originality of the "roof" when you come to dispose of the car. If you can't then I reckon you will probably have the same difficulty presently being experienced by the current seller.

Nash

Reaction score
I tend to agree with jvrenauden on a RHD CSL. I will allow others more informed to comment on LHD cars. But my understanding in CSLs is fairly simple.

Five groups of CSLs, Carb cars, LHD, RHD and series one and series two BATs

Of these five groups only two groups left the factory in an almost identical manor. These two groups were the 169 Carb cars and the 500 RHD.

The 429 LHD CSLs, people were allowed to have some influence on orders. Series one BATs, less of an influence, only Polaris or Chamonix etc, series two BATs, anything you want sir.

I think the idea of a RHD CSL being original with a vinyl roof and sunroof is a stretch to far for me.

Happy to be proved wrong.

barely03

Reaction score
I have found out that the owner had the sunroof and vinyl roof put on by the dealer when he initially bought the car. Do you think this is an advantage or a deterrent?

Barely03

Lorenzo

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have found out that the owner had the sunroof and vinyl roof put on by the dealer when he initially bought the car. Do you think this is an advantage or a deterrent?

Barely03

Deterrent

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score

Barely03

What if you remove the vinyl? You should have a freshly painted roof under it and no need to tell anybody the dealer ever installed it. I will not tell.

Or is the glue messing up the works?

Tom2240

Reaction score
It defiantly mattered to me,
I have viewed this car and the sunroof/vinyl roof, Non matching numbers and the fact it needs restoring make it over priced in my opinion which is why it is hanging around.
£30k for a car that will cost at least the Same again to restore but will still have an undesirable sunroof and non original engine ?
As to then converting to LHD and shipping to the states I can't see it would add up, how much does a CSL fetch in America ?
Tom

jvrenaudon

Reaction score
RHD to LHD

I am rather surprised to learn that the "roof" and vinyl on this car were fitted by the original dealer. In my case I was warned off from having a "roof" fitted by the original BMW dealer - George Oakley's in Shrewsbury. It should have occured to the dealer that BMW had good reasons why a "roof" should not be introduced in the case of a lightweight body in my view.