Pros and Cons for removal of the Shock spacers for bumper height 1973 E9

pickman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I noticed that my front end is a bit higher than the rear end in discussion with a couple forum members it is clear that there is an aluminum spacer 31331113721 on each side to meet the FMVSS bumper height requirements. It was recommended to remove this which would level front to rear. It looks very straight forward just remove the three nuts and jack the front end to lower the strut assy.

Are there pros and cons to removing this?

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
All pro, no con. You'll have to trim the bolts to compensate for the missing spacer, no big deal. Or you could put the spacer on top of the fender and not trim the bolts, but not a good look imho.

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
If you're going to go through all that trouble to pop those out, might as well replace all the springs w/some CN springs.

Stance makes the car.
Dave Kindig says 3 things his cars that go through his shop get--Stance, Color & Performance. And Coupe owners can add--Design/style.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Yes, by all means remove the spacers. When I discovered them I was so amazed that BMW would install something so clunky in their cars that I posted here to ask why.

If you find the rear is a little high after removing the front spacers, BMW used a thicker rear spring perch to level the car with the front spacers. So even with the stock springs, you can get a little lower stance by changing the spring perch. Then, as noted, you can go to the Carl Nelson springs to go even lower.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Interesting, my 72 E3 never had them. I did the above cause I bought new strut bearings that had the longer studs.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Parts book say 20mm spacer added for US late in 2500/2800 series and a 12mm spacer was used on 3.0Bav, following cars had 20mm again for some reason.

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
My 72 MY, 7/71 production 3.0S Bavaria has 20mm spacers.

If I measure from my garage floor to the belt line molding, the front is 3/4" higher than the rear...that's just about 20mm. Either the rear springs have sagged out 3/4" or for some reason BMW wanted a nose high stance :( . According to what I learned here, it wasn't to satisfy a US bumper height requirement.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Pretty sure the e3 had the same change as the e9. When BMW added the front spacer, they created a US specific rear spring perch that was thicker than the Euro version (I don't have the data on the amount difference handy) so as to maintain the original rake at a higher ride height.

This was done to meet US DOT headlight height requirements.

Your car may have had the rear spring perch replaced with a Euro perch somewhere along the line which would explain why it sits funny now.

pickman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
These are 20 mm thick as installed the top of the strut was level with the shock tower once removed the black rubber strut sits proud of the shock tower hole by about 20 mm. My front end measures a good inch lower and I don't have the feeling the front end is higher than the rear. As advertised it is a very simple process to remove. Thanks all for the advice!

Attachments

• Spacers.jpg
    Spacers.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 115