Pulled my 3.5 5 speed Bavaria out of storage today.....

Gpdenver

Reaction score
After 2 years of collecting dust, the Bavaria is out of storage and back at my house!!!

D2sSpxO.jpg

RDKR6IO.jpg

Adding new street tires, Momo steering wheel, Weber carbs, new fuel lines, new fuel pump, ignition switch, tubular exhaust manifold, stainless custom exhaust.......

Trying to keep this simple as I have a major build in progress on another car.

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I was admiring this car yesterday. Are those Gotti wheels? What are the specs on those wheels when you get a sec? I'm curious because I'm widening a set of steelies. Fitment looks good. They don't look staggered correct? And was that antennae placement the way it came from factory? Never seen that but like it back there.

Can't wait to see some more pics. I like that you are keeping it simple which translates to me as keeping it mostly stock. Why not? It is a great looking E3! Glad it's finally seeing the light after a couple years......How's the interior, body, etc. Keep us posted....

kwyjibo

Site Donor
Reaction score
I picked up your car's slightly younger sibling about a month ago. And, it looks like we're probably not far from each other - do you ever make it out to the Saturday morning C&Cs? BMWCCA events?

Gpdenver

Reaction score
I picked up your car's slightly younger sibling about a month ago. And, it looks like we're probably not far from each other - do you ever make it out to the Saturday morning C&Cs? BMWCCA events?

Love the e12! A future classic.

I'm not a bmwcca member, and have only been to cars and coffee once, but never in the Bavaria. I unfortunately have been stuck at work and have had minimal time to mess with the cars. I'm also right in the middle of a major build of our Alfa Romeo right now, and that is sucking up all the free time. Hopefully I'll have the Bavaria back on the road in a few weeks.

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The car looks great. I saw your thread on Stanceworks after you first posted on here. That's crazy you caught someone trying to steal it. Glad you thwarted that!

Much prefer the stock wheels on this particular car. I like Gotti's, especially on 02's and it has to be the right color car with the gold. Everyone has their opinions but Gold wheels with silver never did it for me. This look is much cleaner. Glad it is all dusted off and ready to drive. Keep her safe!

Oh.... was wondering if the car was originally Polaris?

Last edited:

Gpdenver

Reaction score
This is the original color combo, however its not the original paint job. The car was fully restored and repainted when the engine/trans swap was done in the early 90's.

Starting to go through the car again as the restoration is starting to show its age. The car has covered about 30k miles since the restoration. 1500 miles a year....

Starting to bring it back to its former glory this summer. Just picked up a new steering wheel, Weber carbs, exhaust manifold. Also going to build a stainless exhaust and redo the stereo that hasn't worked in a couple years.

Gpdenver

Reaction score
tnap5Nt.jpg

Momo Prototipo going in with a BMW horn button. Always hated the rubber e21 steering wheel the car currently has in it. I needed a leather wheel.

rbmacp

Reaction score
Nice wheel! The right grip makes all the difference in driving feel. If you want to offset the cost a bit, your E21 wheel would be a big improvement over what I have now!

kwyjibo

Site Donor
Reaction score
Did you just pick up an ignition harness and tumbler parts this morning from Michael?
That was my car sharing the garage with his part-out car. I'm helping him disassemble the car so he's letting me store mine there temporarily.

Gpdenver

Reaction score
Did you just pick up an ignition harness and tumbler parts this morning from Michael?
That was my car sharing the garage with his part-out car. I'm helping him disassemble the car so he's letting me store mine there temporarily.

I did, and I spent the day cannibalizing 2 steering columns to get it all back together. The e12 had a few differences in the wiring, and I had to modify a few things. Also had to re-pin the ignition cylinder harness. All back together and fired up first turn. While I was at it I threw the new steering wheel on it.

A6hvL4V.png

Still have a long way to go before it's back to it's former glory.

kwyjibo

Site Donor
Reaction score
Good job! Sorry, I was the one who took the dismantling a bit too far on the steering column because I thought that someone would only want the tumbler/key and few other parts but not the whole thing.

Gpdenver

Reaction score
It was actually broken down exactly where I needed it to be. Didn't use most of the e12 column parts, but just poached what I needed.

Glad enthusiasts are taking the time to save parts that are becoming very hard to source....

Back on the gold wheels, just with a street tire. Put about 100 miles on the car, I had forgotten how fun it is to drive!

Someone asked a question about offset. The wheels are 16x9 with a 225/50 16 tire. The fronts are et+8 the backs +13. The rear fenders needed to be modified to fit the Hoosier slicks, but there is room to run a slightly less aggressive offset in the rear. On the street tire 225/50 16, I would guess they would have fit with no fender modification

Gpdenver

Reaction score
After looking the old wheel is off an e24. The new wheel is a Momo 350 mm with an e3/39 specific adapter.

chope97

Reaction score
Nice very nice

paint looks good and I like the color. Mine is a slick top too. Would you be interested in getting rid of the e24 steering wheel? Let me know. You got yours back on the road in a couple of weeks for me it is taking a couple of years. Too many other projects