Question about 3.0 CS original wheels - alloy vs. coated

Aspen2007

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
Can someone tell me if the original wheels on the 74' CS are true alloys or are they coated/painted with a grey metal paint? I currently have an old scuffed up set of four. My mechanic told me that they could be painted, but I cannot imagine that this is how the originals would look if they were in good condition today. Any/all feedback would be appreciated.

Honolulu

Reaction score
paint your rims

I don't know specifically if the OE wheels were painted ex-factory but...

Budget approach: Most people report good results using Krylon Dull Aluminum, with or without several coats of Krylon clear. Lasts for years. Inside tip is when spraying the clear, back off so the spray "dries" a little bit, and you will not get a glossy finish. The non-glossy is more appropriate, although not as easy to clean.

Upscale approach: Bead blast to clean, then have wheels painted with appropriate 2-pack urethane. Mercedes has a good silver to use, but you'll have to go to a painter who knows Benz colors, or get the correct color from your paint retailer.

NOTE! Urethane paints are extremely toxic, and anyone using these should be working in a properly ventilated booth with a supplied air (hood) system. Typical charcoal filtered respirators are NOT SUFFICIENT for urethane paints. You might do it and think you've gotten away with it but the cumulative damage will get you later.

Bill Riblett

(deceased)
Reaction score
The original wheels were all aluminum and were all painted silver.

Wurth and Griot's Garage sell paint that is if not the same as original, very close. Or as Charlie mentioned, Kryon dull aluminum is popular too.

lip277

Site Donor $
Reaction score
G-Man said:
I know, you are in shock that an E3 owner will spend some money on their cars.

G-Man

I wish there were more E3 and E12 folks that would. I hardly ever see any - even when I lived in California....