Quick question about rear seat in 2800

americium

Reaction score
I have been pulling out the old seat covers and the blue vinyl under it is near perfect. It was a great surprise. Even the driver seat is great. The carpet is great too. Looks original. The doors also look great, except for the drivers side door pull. It’s broken at the top. Here’s pics.
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

which brings me to my question. I pulled the rear seat bottom out easy enough but what hold the upper section in? I pulled a bit on it and it seems solid. Are there screws in the trunk? I have all the original elephant skin so can’t see behind unless I remove the center section.
image.jpg

Last edited:

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
There is (or should be) a screw on each side near the bottom of the back cushion that is exposed when you get the bottom cushion out. Then it lifts up and out.

dp

Site Donor
Reaction score
What Dick said, lower left/right corner phillips head screw, remove those and slide the seat up and off. Do not pull the bottom out too far before you slide it up

duct-tape

Site Donor
Reaction score
for cleaning and restoring the vinyl, get a bristle brush, like a shaving brush or a fat paint brush, 50/50 diluted simple green. swirl/scrub the simple simple green to lift the dirt out. rinse and maybe wash rinse twice.
once it's clean as heck, use mineral oil. the cheapest I've found is at CVS. use something like terry cloth, get it good and wet and massage the oil in, let it soak for a bit (10-30 minutes) and then use a clean towel to wipe off any excess.

ALSO, dont use any silicate based vinyl restorer products. they actually dry out the vinyl and make it crack unless you want to reapply it weekly. Armorall and Son of a Gun are the worst. just use mineral oil.

americium

Reaction score
I had heard that Armorall type stuff could be doing the opposite of preserving, you confirm it. I definitely don’t want to damage these seats after all the years they have survived. Thanks for the advice, I will be starting the process soon.

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I had heard that Armorall type stuff could be doing the opposite of preserving, you confirm it. I definitely don’t want to damage these seats after all the years they have survived. Thanks for the advice, I will be starting the process soon.
I wouldn't put Armorall on vinyl seats. You'll slide right off of them :oops:

americium

Reaction score
Ok, here are pictures of the 3 screws holding the upper rear seat in place.

this one is a little difficult to see because of the sagging seat cover
9643DD88-A70C-47D4-8D2E-960B7B9E2838.jpeg

here’s the middle
0EF3C70A-4CF7-4A5F-93E8-A376FD8EF196.jpeg

And here is the opposite side
632C6C7E-B0AC-491F-8253-FF5955C6E42B.jpeg

americium

Reaction score
And here are what the seats look like after cleaning and mineral oiling. Thanks for the advice on that, it worked well.

862973FF-40DE-4F25-A5BF-9304DBC89359.jpeg

A2C8A510-8FCD-4F18-995D-07660D85F7C9.jpeg

Baikallackierung

Reaction score
Pinnacle vinyl and rubber conditioner is awesome. I just clean with Bronner's liquid soap unless soil is heavy and then apply coats of Pinnacle vinyl and rubber conditioner until there are no dry spots anymore. Buff after the vinyl is nourished.

Baikallackierung

Reaction score
As long as the rubber or vinyl is not completely dry rotted, the product will bring it back. I have used it for years on E30 dashes and the un-cracked dashes are my proof. Initially, the vinyl will soak it up but upon consistent saturation the finish will level out. Buff and the original finish will be restored.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Do you recommend using their cleaner first to get out previous treatments of other brands (Vinylex)?

As long as the rubber or vinyl is not completely dry rotted, the product will bring it back. I have used it for years on E30 dashes and the un-cracked dashes are my proof. Initially, the vinyl will soak it up but upon consistent saturation the finish will level out. Buff and the original finish will be restored.