Rack & pinion steering

mane

Reaction score
I need to convert my steering to rack & pinion to make more clearance (for Tesla batteries that I put to front of the car) and of course for better steering feel.

Searched the forums to find out that with stock subframe it's pretty much impossible, due some strange setup that E9 has compared to other cars.

So, what's the recommended plan B? Subframe from E30 or some other car? Then fit rack & pinion from car x?

Many has been asking this question, but there seems to be no real answer anywhere. Hopefully someone has done this and could help?

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
If I’m not mistaken, @bdigel has used E28 subframes in the past. He will surely have good advise for you, as creative as he is.

Last edited:

WALTER

Site Donor
Reaction score
I need to convert my steering to rack & pinion to make more clearance (for Tesla batteries that I put to front of the car) and of course for better steering feel.

Searched the forums to find out that with stock subframe it's pretty much impossible, due some strange setup that E9 has compared to other cars.

So, what's the recommended plan B? Subframe from E30 or some other car? Then fit rack & pinion from car x?

Many has been asking this question, but there seems to be no real answer anywhere. Hopefully someone has done this and could help?

The shop that is fixing my coupe (Axiom Restoration) will be attempting an R&P system. I say attempting because I, like you, have not heard or seen any final results. Kyle at Axiom plans to use the stock subframe, but use non-BMW parts from there. Please feel free to call him: (757) 805-3129 and ask him specifics. As I mention in my restoration thread, I am a bit skeptical that he can do it with the stock subframe, but I think he sees it as a challenge and will do it at a price that if it doesn’t work, I haven’t spent a fortune.

mane

Reaction score
Thanks @WALTER. Would be awesome if you could post the progress how it goes. Maybe post a message on this thread when there are some conclusions on your project.

Reading that mad max thread, he used E36 front subframe with some heavy modifications and E46 rack & pinion. To me it sounds like he made it work, but maybe not the easiest way. He also used CSL type wide wheel arches, so not sure if that would work with standard setup. E36 might be wider than E9.

Read on some post that using stock subframe, it could work if firewall was moved bit back (to make space for the arm) and some modifications to steering arms and subframe. Maybe that's the easiest way..?

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
the only way i have seen is on race E9's were they weld the firewall "20 cm" more back . OEM, the angle is to great between steering rod and R&P rod.
And of course flip a RHD R&P as we have the arms on the struts to the rear instead of in front .
Also , i remember from our test view , E9 arms are very long for use with R&P , so indeed to modify…

we stayed with the steering box and forgot the R&P dream …. :)

frogisland

Reaction score
R&P mentioned several times on the forum, some of the race cars have it. e21 R&P (they are rear mounted on the e21), bracket welded to rear of subframe to mount.