Radiator drain plug

BarnE9

Reaction score
Doing a radiator flush yesterday I managed to lose the drain plug:rolleyes: Quick call to Jaymic the part is NLA so while I track one down (or spend a weekend searching garage for the missing one) anyone know what thread / pitch bolt I could use pro tem? I think it might be M8. Have 73 CSA if that makes a difference
Cheers
Simon

dj_efk

Reaction score
Simon,

I tried to look the part up on realoem for you but couldn't find it - In fact it seems to suggest that your car shouldn't have a drain plug!

I am assuming a build date of June 73 so maybe that could have something to do with it - Or else the rad is not the original one for your car?

Sorry I can't be more help!

Dave.

BarnE9

Reaction score
Simon,

I tried to look the part up on realoem for you but couldn't find it - In fact it seems to suggest that your car shouldn't have a drain plug!

I am assuming a build date of June 73 so maybe that could have something to do with it - Or else the rad is not the original one for your car?

Sorry I can't be more help!

Dave.
Thanks Dave not impossible it's not the original rad but my autobooks manual shows exactly what I have (or rather had!)
IMG_20200125_151358.jpg

No worries I'll figure sthg out. Cheers simon

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Simon - I installed a Fumoto drain valve in my car. I have an aftermarket radiator, which had a stopcock valve that directed antifreeze onto my a/c compressor and then all over the garage floor. The Fumoto valve turns the drainage 90 degrees from the radiator, and also allows you to attach a hose and control where the anti-freeze goes when you change your fluid. Obviously, because this fits an aftermarket radiator, you will need to check to see if a M14 x 1.5 will fit into your stock radiator, but you should be able to test this with an M14 x 1.5 bolt.

BarnE9

Reaction score
Simon - I installed a Fumoto drain valve in my car. I have an aftermarket radiator, which had a stopcock valve that directed antifreeze onto my a/c compressor and then all over the garage floor. The Fumoto valve turns the drainage 90 degrees from the radiator, and also allows you to attach a hose and control where the anti-freeze goes when you change your fluid. Obviously, because this fits an aftermarket radiator, you will need to check to see if a M14 x 1.5 will fit into your stock radiator, but you should be able to test this with an M14 x 1.5 bolt.

I'll look into that - looks a neat upgrade - but pretty sure it's M8. Thanks

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Yeah, those valves are expensive, but I like supporting companies that come up with really well engineered things like this, particularly since I do my own work.

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
@Ohmess Chris did you also install a fumoto valve on the block coolant drain hole? I tried to do that but you need to use their extension because there is a “rib” on the block that keeps you from screwing the valve in.
Luckily they have an extension just for that reason

F9997580-EB51-4105-AE85-4ED132D0E0D2.jpeg

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have a cheap metric tap and die set which has bailed me out many times. I also use it to size a missing bolt/nut etc. Takes the guessing out of the equation.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
@Ohmess Chris did you also install a fumoto valve on the block coolant drain hole? I tried to do that but you need to use their extension because there is a “rib” on the block that keeps you from screwing the valve in.
Luckily they have an extension just for that reason

View attachment 141390
Hi Bo - No, I just did the radiator. But now that you mention it...