Re. Bilstein sport vs Bilstein HD, please advice

gjensson

Reaction score
Hi there,

Since I am located i Europe, I prefer to source my parts within the EU due to tax and shipping reasons.

Regarding the Bilsteins however, I was originally planning on going with Carl Nelsons HD shocks and lowering springs.

Now W&N however, have a great weekly offer on the Bilstein B6 Sport shocks.

As far as I can see, from this thread for instance, http://www.e9coupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11601&page=2&highlight=bilstein they seem to be more or less the same shock so I´d be OK with purchasing the B6 from W&N.

Would any of you know if I´d run into any problems fitting the B6 sports with Carl Nelsons lowering springs.

Or are the B6 Sports harder as mentioned in the linked thread or am I just making things up?

Thanks and happy holidays!

G

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Sports springs are harder than HDs, many recommend not using them, especially in the rear where some have experienced failure of the wheel well spring top.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Call Bilstein tech support. As far as I know, there is no difference in the valving of the sport and HD. For my e3, they are one and the same. I called Bilstein to ask why only a sport was avail for the rear of my car but both sport and HD were avail for the front. They said the rear sport is close in dimension to the original HD, same shock and you can turn the sport into an HD by setting on a higher perch.

TodB

Reaction score
Billies

As far as I know, there is no difference in the valving of the sport and HD.

This is what I've been told as well and that Sports are made for lowering springs and this, have a shorter "stroke".

That said, I've got HDs and Carl Springs and like the combination. Firm, but not teeth rattling.

Stefan

Reaction score
I bought Bilstein front shocks from W&N a few month ago. Bilstein nr 34-000243 (P36-0024).

When google the part.nr you really get confused about what's Sport or/and HD.

I'm running the above W&N Bilsteins with stock springs in the front and that combo works absolutely fine. That also matches the answer I got from W&N when asking the same question.

It's a really great weekly offer from W&N. Actually nothing to think about gjensson.
Together with the exchange rate Euro vs. SEK it becomes a bargain for you gjensson :)

//Stefan

Last edited:

gjensson

Reaction score
Thanks guys,

It is a bit difficult to see what´s what in the Bilstein world...

I have however bought the fronts from W&N, great offer indeed, €80:- saving. I´ll buy the rears later and see if I end up going with the Nelson lower springs or buy new from W&N.

Thanks again and happy holidays!

G

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
i asked walloth about some special springs that they have for other cars but not for the e9

progressive springs !

they still say that they are not yet in production

anyone knows sth. about progressive springs for e9 ?

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i asked walloth about some special springs that they have for other cars but not for the e9

progressive springs !

they still say that they are not yet in production

anyone knows sth. about progressive springs for e9 ?

If they have progressive springs with the stock length I may go to Bilbao to pick them up.

Mich

Reaction score
I also bought the Bilsteins from W&N a few weeks ago. They feel good under the car.

Now the spring issue: I want to lower the front with +/- 3cm. I didn't find the right springs so far. Jaymic (UK) sells some progressive lowering springs (front and rear). Does one of you have any experience with those springs in reality? Jaymic says the will lower the car by 3 cm, I doubt it because I think the Bilsteins will push them en bit up again.

What are alternative springs?

Did anybody of you build coilovers for the front in combination with Bilsteins.

Stefan

Reaction score
Hi Mich,

I'm starting to say that your new Bilsteins from W&N would NOT rise your front at all.

Secondly, US imported E9 car was raised in the front due to national regulations.

E9 (EU) cars got the standard front ride due to the perfect design dated late 1960.

That means, all other rides would match in "pimp my ride" or similar :)

Honolulu

Reaction score
Stefan wrote: "I'm starting to say that your new Bilsteins from W&N would NOT rise your front at all"

Actually I think there will be some initial front rise until the strut cartridges "wear in". This is anecdotal, I don't have those on my car (yet) but have read of it elsewhere.

Stefan again: "Secondly, US imported E9 car was raised in the front due to national regulations:

True. The front of USA coupes was raised using aluminum rings on the top of the front strut bearings. Many of us have taken those out which ought to make our USA coupes the same ride height as Euro coupes, IF ALL OTHER THINGS ARE EQUAL. There are also different thickness rubber bushings that receive the springs, and different stock springs, which may have sagged over time. Ride height is not a simple subject. Each car is likely a little different and needs to be addressed on an individual basis.

Mich

Reaction score
Too, the front will rise some. There is no space at my car and I've drivin it.......

Anybody has some experience with Bilsteins and Jaymic lowering springs?

Carmine

Reaction score
Hello to everyone. I'm trying to catch the best topic about the Bilstein B6 install and I found this one.
I'm now almost ready to install the front cartridge into the original strut suspension.
Reading the Bilstein manual instruction they say that I have to install a plastic ring, under the dust cover, for the BMW assembly but into the box it's missing....
It's necessary? if it's needed were I can buy It?
Thank's in advance and sorry for my not perfect English

DSC_0002.JPG DSC_0001.JPG

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
yes Carmine, that ring was for the oem dust cover to seal" perfect"... not needed with Bilstein's ….it doesn't even fit if i remember correctly.

Carmine

Reaction score
yes Carmine, that ring was for the oem dust cover to seal" perfect"... not needed with Bilstein's ….it doesn't even fit if i remember correctly.
Thank you! And another question. Whit the new Bilstein it's necessary or not put the oil into the suspension strut in order to dissipate the calor?
Thank you in advance!

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
if necessary , i don't know… but it sure can do no harm ! i always put oil in the struts to help cooling effect to the outer tube. I even fill it up till overflow.... so contact is 100 %.

Carmine

Reaction score
Good Afternoon to all of you. In order to lock the nut on the Bilstein strut there are need a special tool with a proper torque value. Do you use this tool attached? Where I can buy it on the "net"? Thank you!

Attachments

• images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    6.4 KB · Views: 90

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Carmine, I have never used that tool. Just use a large plumber's wrench. I usually tighten after the strut assembly is put back on the car but not yet weight bearing. There is enough room between the spring coils to fit a wrench and the housing is held fixed in place to allow some torque.

WRT oil in the housing. I put some copper grease on the strut so it will come out easily if I ever want to change it. The oil-heat dissipation theory just doesn't make sense. The conduction coefficient of the strut, the heat capacity of the oil used are just some of the unknowns. I stopped being an engineer decades ago but these things come to mind for starters.