Rear tail light ground connection

mr bump

Reaction score
Merry Xmas E3 and 9 owners and friends, as I'm sure you chaps are, I'm in the lab and finishing my partial resto/improvements on my e9.
But, my memory is getting worse, reason being, I'm now re-fitting my refurbed tail lights, but cannot for the life of me can remember where the earth/ground/brown cable connection goes to! Have I removed something?
Please help, otherwise il have to do jobs around the house!

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
This is the center support, front to back in the trunk.
This is looking at it from the rear window i.e. upside down.
Brown wire to metal support.
IMG_6399.JPG

Mo Brighta

Reaction score
The terminal end connects to the light ground terminal under the hole in the brake reflector - the big, funky molded reflector with the Fresnel rings.
There is a rectangle opening near the middle of the light that you probably will not be able to reach to connect the fitting without needle nose pliers.
PC261715.JPG
There's a hole in the shell that the wire goes through, right between the brake and tail light connectors next to the gasket.

Last edited:

mr bump

Reaction score
The terminal end connects to the light ground terminal under the hole in the brake reflector - the big, funky molded reflector with the Fresnel rings.
There is a rectangle opening near the middle of the light that you probably will not be able to reach to connect the fitting without needle nose pliers.View attachment 57394There's a hole in the shell that the wire goes through, right between the brake and tail light connectors next to the gasket.
That's where it bloody is!! I've had a propper Csi crime session looking for it, then it pops up in the light unit itself!
Thank you chaps for the replies, NO garden centre for me!! LOL