Lan-rear windows, motors, and trim panels - regrease and renewal

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
so Bwana, did you ever get this fixed? i am facing the same thing. i measured my passenger side, it is 80 degrees from the horizontal trim. this is the same angle as the back of the front window. on my drivers side, the angle of the front window is also 80 degrees, but the angle of the back window is only 77 degrees ... and it is all the way up to the end of the upper track. i tried adjusting the rubber bolts as well with no effect.

my guess is that i could rotate the back window with all of the bolts and change the angle ... but i'm afraid that there will still be a gap between the front + rear. curious how you resolved your situation.

Outstanding write up, thanks!!!

However, I didn't see a place where you discribe how to adjust the rear window position. On the right side, I've got a good fit. On the left side, The window appears that it needs to rotate forward about an inch. I saw the seven bolts that secure the window assembly tot he car, how do you adjust the position with all these bolts?

Left side (driver) bad fit

P8030005.jpg

Right side good fit (how to do this?). Note: the front window is slightly down in this picture

P8030013.jpg

Bwana

Reaction score
I think I replaced the felt/gasket in the upper channel. I'm pretty sure the old felt was preventing the window from going all the way up.. But I'm not certain. I do remember the adjustment bumper had little effect.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
who knows the easy secret to opening the gearbox? i tried to get it to pop open ... but no luck so far. i want to open it - clean + regrease. i've already taken apart, cleaned + lightly regreased the tracks. and so far the window mechanism is moving much easier already.
motor mechanics update

201120073845.jpg

201120073847.jpg

201120073844.jpg

/QUOTE]

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
who knows the easy secret to opening the gearbox? i tried to get it to pop open ... but no luck so far. i want to open it - clean + regrease. i've already taken apart, cleaned + lightly regreased the tracks. and so far the window mechanism is moving much easier already.

I use a small jeweler type screwdriver to remove that transmission cover.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i guess i will try a smaller one ... i used a jewelers screwdriver ... but not the smallest one - thanks!

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I hate Photobucket more every single day...

Doing the e28 motor swap on my car these days and trying to guess what dQ's otherwise excellent pictures are trying to show...

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
I hate Photobucket more every single day...

Doing the e28 motor swap on my car these days and trying to guess what dQ's otherwise excellent pictures are trying to show...

I was wondering if it was me! I can't see a thing with those pictures. Bummer

Peter A.

Reaction score
I saved the original posting up to 2/20/17, including the 100+ un-blurred pictures,
as a Word document. I am posting a few of the pictures from that document.
If one of the forum’s computer gurus is willing, I can forward it (149 pages/
almost 11MB) to him and he can post it to the forum.

de Quincey, it's your work; if you would like to have a copy, I can send it directly to you.

Attachments

• 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 194
  • 21.jpg
    21.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 192
  • 37.jpg
    37.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 215

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I saved the original posting up to 2/20/17, including the 100+ un-blurred pictures,
as a Word document. I am posting a few of the pictures from that document.

de Quincey, it's your work; if you would like to have a copy, I can send it directly to you.

well done !
hope you aknowledge the owner of the intellectual property of the work that is contained in that word document

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
deleted.

Yes, I can actually delete posts, I just want you to feel my struggle.

well done !
hope you aknowledge the owner of the intellectual property of the work that is contained in that word document

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
de Quincey, does this mean it's OK to request the original? I would appreciate to see the pictures!

yes of course,
my comment was about the document
i wonder if the person who kindly produced it (@Peter A. ) have had the idea of including the name of the person that did the job
but he has not responded, so unfortunately i do not know

Willem Tell

Site Donor $
Reaction score
dang, or markos, deQuincey's work is a great technical treatise on window maintenance and improvement. Can you post it as a technical article?

@ Peter, or can you forward it to a private email?

Peter A.

Reaction score
@ Peter, or can you forward it to a private email?

I have been told that large Word documents are occasionally unstable during transmission.
I converted the document to a PDF file and sent it to you. Let me know if there are any issues.

All credit for the creation of the document belongs to deQuincey; I have done nothing with it other
than save it and offer it to the forum and its members.

I may have similarly saved other postings by deQuincey. If there is any interest, I will check my old
hard drives.

Willem Tell

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Many thanks Peter and deQuincey. This is really helpful for my rear window projects.
I collect all kinds of threads in Word and pdf, so I'd be happy with any that you can add to my library!