Recommend Up grades on restoration ??

sandhu

Site Donor $
Reaction score
hi lads

Friend is having his RHD Csl restored from bare shell up wards ...

Car is back from the body shop, tomorrow, all freshly painted
He would like to know what discreet modern up grades he should put on the car, to make it drive , performe better etc etc

All advice much appreciated
Thxs
Sandhu

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Some thoughts:

An Optima battery
Change to the later, smaller BMW starter motor
Install a larger amperage alternator
Install additional ground straps (alternator to oil filter housing; oil filter housing to battery ground on fender; across motor mounts, etc.)
Aluminum radiator
The Paul Cain ebrake upgrade
Convert to a modern air conditioning compressor
Parallel flow condenser
Spal pusher fan in front of condenser w/add'l 85 C switch
Headlight relay
Window relays
4w dash lights

jmackro

Reaction score
A "larger amperage alternator" doesn't buy you much - it isn't as if an e9 draws that much current. But an internally-regulated alternator (which probably has a higher amperage rating) does. These more modern alternators are more reliable.

I would add e28 window motors to the list.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Most of the upgrades above are hidden, for that reason I wouldn’t go with an Optima battery but that’s me.
I have trouble disagreeing with that, Chris. If the battery is under the hood, a stock BMW battery is in the foreground (if they still existed). Though with the rear shock tower upgrade, a trunk mounted battery becomes an option. Definitely not stock in appearance, but a perfect place for that Optima.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
If this is a CSL then he can afford to do it right.

(1) keep the original motor but stroke it to 3.2 and do a stage 2 performance rebuild.

(2) period correct ZF 5spd CR gearbox to deal with the lack of VANOS.

(3) 1-2-3 distributor

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have trouble disagreeing with that, Chris. If the battery is under the hood, a stock BMW battery is in the foreground (if they still existed). Though with the rear shock tower upgrade, a trunk mounted battery becomes an option. Definitely not stock in appearance, but a perfect place for that Optima.
If one is going to move the battery, I like putting it under the rear seat far better than in the trunk. I think it really ruins the trunk practicality (not to mention looks) to put the battery there.

sandhu

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Thxs to everyone who has given their ideas and opinions to this post !!!

Much appreciated!!!!

I am going to print all these great ideas off and let my mate and his restoration guy decide which up grades to go with !!!

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
A "larger amperage alternator" doesn't buy you much - it isn't as if an e9 draws that much current. But an internally-regulated alternator (which probably has a higher amperage rating) does. These more modern alternators are more reliable.

Yes, I should have been more specific on the alternator. The greater benefit is from the elimination of the external regulator.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
If one is going to move the battery, I like putting it under the rear seat far better than in the trunk. I think it really ruins the trunk practicality (not to mention looks) to put the battery there.
i hate the idea of going through the interior to get to a battery. if i was going to put my battery in the trunk, i would create an elephant skin (wrapped) panel to cover up the battery ... and if you have the rear shock brace, cover that up too. the trunk is large, you can make it a little smaller and look finished.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
i hate the idea of going through the interior to get to a battery. if i was going to put my battery in the trunk, i would create an elephant skin (wrapped) panel to cover up the battery ... and if you have the rear shock brace, cover that up too. the trunk is large, you can make it a little smaller and look finished.

Yeah, but if you own an e34 you get used to it.