Recommendations for Parts?

Heather E. Miller

Reaction score
Hi All,

Has anyone used CSI Inc (www.bmwclassicparts.com), for parts for a '72 3.0 CS? If so, would you recommend? I'm in Canada, and although I've found some guys that are reasonable in Germany, California is a lot closer. Also, if anyone can recommend anyone else that's somewhat close, I'd be eternally grateful. Currently I'm looking for door skins, but this is just the beginning...

Thanks!
H.

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Stan is correct those are the go-to sources for many parts. For sheet metal/body parts, you probably want to spend some time doing some searches in the upper right hand box, there are threads with detailed recommendations on which available parts from which vendors are best.

You might also search for particular vendors you come across to identify others' experience with them. Some really don't have in stock what they identify or have insane mark-ups.

Unless you can find a part's car or someone has a particular used part for sale, some new body parts will likely have to be sourced overseas. You can always post a WTB inquiry in the Parts classified threads. Many have parts they've forgotten they have or picked up and decided they didn't need them.

While not really close to you, this guy in Quebec makes a few sheet metal parts (not doorskins) and might give you some hints for Canadian sources. http://www.alfaparts.net/bmwcs.htm

Doorskins are available from W&N in Germany, as you've probably seen. https://www.wallothnesch.com/en/karosserie-blechteile/bmw-2-5-cs-3-0-csl-e9/katalogbild-41-11.html Shipping is more reasonable than you'd think but you might get hit with duty on bulky orders. The restoration threads are filled with examples of installations of their body parts.

You will see reference to "the Polish" guy or parts, which is here (English toggle on the site): http://sklep.manufaktura-workshop.pl/index.php/czesci/bmw/

UK folks reference Jaymic quite a bit: https://www.jaymic.com/

CoupeKing are really busy and probably won't have any to part with, but they've courteously responded to even dumb questions from me. http://www.coupeking.com/shop/product/sheet-metal/

Good luck!

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi heather,

I would put together a massive order from W&N since their shipping is fixed. I have one of those unfortunate orders in my future for sheetmetal and rubber.

Jaymic also has door skins. Also, @Bejoe16 has some new W&N aluminum (csl style) skins available. He ships stuff frequently but the bill to Canada likely won’t be less than the massive W&N order.

Don’t forget to check the BMW dealer for small stuff. You may pay slight more but the shipping is on them. Also, check for club discounts.

Heather E. Miller

Reaction score
Stan is correct those are the go-to sources for many parts. For sheet metal/body parts, you probably want to spend some time doing some searches in the upper right hand box, there are threads with detailed recommendations on which available parts from which vendors are best.

You might also search for particular vendors you come across to identify others' experience with them. Some really don't have in stock what they identify or have insane mark-ups.

Unless you can find a part's car or someone has a particular used part for sale, some new body parts will likely have to be sourced overseas. You can always post a WTB inquiry in the Parts classified threads. Many have parts they've forgotten they have or picked up and decided they didn't need them.

While not really close to you, this guy in Quebec makes a few sheet metal parts (not doorskins) and might give you some hints for Canadian sources. http://www.alfaparts.net/bmwcs.htm

Doorskins are available from W&N in Germany, as you've probably seen. https://www.wallothnesch.com/en/karosserie-blechteile/bmw-2-5-cs-3-0-csl-e9/katalogbild-41-11.html Shipping is more reasonable than you'd think but you might get hit with duty on bulky orders. The restoration threads are filled with examples of installations of their body parts.

You will see reference to "the Polish" guy or parts, which is here (English toggle on the site): http://sklep.manufaktura-workshop.pl/index.php/czesci/bmw/

UK folks reference Jaymic quite a bit: https://www.jaymic.com/

CoupeKing are really busy and probably won't have any to part with, but they've courteously responded to even dumb questions from me. http://www.coupeking.com/shop/product/sheet-metal/

Good luck!

Thanks, Jay! I've already been in contact with Albrecht from W&N, and the people from Jaymic. Both were super helpful, but because CSi was closer, I was hopeful that they would be a good source. I'm always the one to check these things out, and I'm glad I have. Since my post I've had some similar comments from others, so I think I'll probably stick with W&N for as many things as I can. :)

Heather E. Miller

Reaction score
Hi heather,

I would put together a massive order from W&N since their shipping is fixed. I have one of those unfortunate orders in my future for sheetmetal and rubber.

Jaymic also has door skins. Also, @Bejoe16 has some new W&N aluminum (csl style) skins available. He ships stuff frequently but the bill to Canada likely won’t be less than the massive W&N order.

Don’t forget to check the BMW dealer for small stuff. You may pay slight more but the shipping is on them. Also, check for club discounts.

Markos,

Thanks for the heads up about the fixed shipping from W&N. I have quite a few sheet metal items that I'll need, and fixed shipping will certainly help! I have a good personal relationship with both of my local BMW dealers, so I'll be sure to be in contact with them for any small items I might be able to source locally.

stphers

Reaction score
Quite honestly, ordering from W & N will be quicker than ordering out of the US I put in orders every couple of months for customers cars as well as my own. Stuff usually gets here in a week or less. The flat 49 euro shipping is pretty good, especially if you can find someone to go in with you and split it, also if they have a discount on, I apply it to the shipping. Check prices with the dealer as well, no shipping charges

In Canada, we are pretty much screwed for finding parts here, maybe from time to time, used ones.

Thanks, Rick

Heather E. Miller

Reaction score
Quite honestly, ordering from W & N will be quicker than ordering out of the US I put in orders every couple of months for customers cars as well as my own. Stuff usually gets here in a week or less. The flat 49 euro shipping is pretty good, especially if you can find someone to go in with you and split it, also if they have a discount on, I apply it to the shipping. Check prices with the dealer as well, no shipping charges

In Canada, we are pretty much screwed for finding parts here, maybe from time to time, used ones.

Thanks, Rick

Rick,

I appreciate your input! I've got a large order to place today and the info comes in handy. Thank you so much!

H.

JetDexter

Site Donor
Reaction score
Has anyone used CSI Inc (www.bmwclassicparts.com), for parts for a '72 3.0 CS? If so, would you recommend? I'm in Canada, and although I've found some guys that are reasonable in Germany, California is a lot closer. Also, if anyone can recommend anyone else that's somewhat close, I'd be eternally grateful. Currently I'm looking for door skins, but this is just the beginning...

Heather,

I have a good relationship with Ben at CSI. Well, to be honest, the relationship is: I pay him money and he ships me parts. But seriously, I understand how folks here are dubious of them. They are very eccentric (they have a 2002 pickup truck in their shop for crying out loud- it's AWESOME actually). They are extremely old school, and the place is messy. Compared to Coupe King which looks like a hipster version of the BMW Classic Museum, CSI is more like Sanford and Sons.

BUT, Ben seems to be an honest guy. He has taken back metal that I bought that I just didn't think fit right. Best of all, he had a secret stash of 2 new front fenders that I was able to talk him out of (by giving him half my kid's college fund). I bought ALL of my front inner fender parts from him. He tends to curate each piece based on his opinion of that supplier for each piece. So some W&N, and some BMW, etc. I have to say, I couldn't be happier with the steel I got from him up there. It fits perfectly. Floors on the other hand, not so much. Rears are perfect, but fronts look like I got a "floor pan that fits any 62-72 muscle car". I still used them, but have a lot of time cutting and splicing.

I generally don't recommend people, and I certainly won't go on the limb to say that they are better than anywhere else, but I think the criticism of them may be overplayed. To be honest, I have kept it a secret that I have bought much from them because of the strange feeling about them here.

So take that for what it's worth!

Paul

FuelMan

Reaction score
I understand this is a very old forum, but in case anyone looks at it later as I did. Regardless, I would highly recommend Ben at CSI. He has treated me fair for years and is normally my first "go to" guy when I need help getting a part. In my 20+ years of working with E9's Ben has never let me down. Frankly, the only company mentioned on this forum that I've had a bad experience with is La Jolla. Everyone has a bad day, but I got a lot of snobbish attitude from multiple people there. I don't need to give my money to people like that. They are far from the only game in town. I'd also like to throw in a name I didn't see/catch from other people above and that is Korman BMW. They aren't as focused on the classics, but if they have what you are looking for my experience has been extremely good service. In tha past they have also had some "aftermarket" parts that I haven't seen others carry for E9's. I've also had very good luck with Korman on some N.O.S. parts that haven't been produced in years and years.
Anyway, again, sorry for the late 2-cents on this one, but in case it is visited again down the road.
Cheers!

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
First message ever is to promote Ben... Ok.
I like them all, we need parts.
La Jolla has done great things for me, advice, weird parts, repairs, sold me a car. Great to have Carl.

FuelMan

Reaction score
Hi Arde,
Maybe it is, but he has always been great with me as I'm sure others are with other people. That is a wonderful thing I think and what "makes the world go round" (as they say).
And you are certainly right about the parts. It is getting down right depressing trying to find even some of the most basic of parts to keep these wonderful machines on the road.
Continuing on this topic, shortly after I posted that first message on this topic I was reminded of another guy/shop in the more traditional sense, called Mesa Performance. I feel a bit bad that I haven't done business with him lately as he always treated me well and his vehicle knowledge was quite impressive. I'm typing in the past tense here because I'm not sure if the shop is still in business. The website is still there, but I think it's been the same since the beginning of the "interweb" (lol). Anyway, again like earlier, maybe Mesa can be an additional source of parts/help in the future for anyone that might come across this post.

Dave G

Reaction score
polite reminder for anybody looking for parts - check the FAQ - Top Sources ... there is a link in my signature below. there are a lot of proven sources for many things that you might be looking for.

cheers
scott
This is it I believe, thanks for pointing it out, nice resource!

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
This is it I believe, thanks for pointing it out, nice resource!
yes, that is the correct thread. while you are in the FAQ, check out all the other excellent information created by our friends @HB Chris and @Markos ... and a few by me. EVERYBODY needs to do some significant reading in the FAQ.

Wobdog

a.k.a Mike
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have purchased parts from both Ben and Carl and have had good experiences with both of them. I actually purchased my car from Ben and he has always been knowledgeable and good to deal with