Removing inside rear view mirror

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I need to replace the headliner in my Bavaria. The rear view mirror needs to be removed in order to do this. How is it done? (maybe the same for an E9?)

dspoljaric

Site Donor
Reaction score
Left/Right horizontal spring loaded pins. You pull either hard left or right towards the center to disengage. To reinstall, position the mirror back up against the bracket with either the left or right pin already seated in the hole, and then using the handle of a rubber or wooden mallet placed up against the non-seated side, slapped hard the head of the hammer driving the impact upwards, forcing the unseated pin to "snap" into position via the internal spring. I would strongly recommend having an assistant for the reinstall process.

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Thanks, guys! :)

IMG_4241.jpeg

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Would that dicey process benefit from squirting some penetrant in there first to loosen things up and reduce some friction? Yikes.

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
That would mess up the headliner though.
...and (at least on mine) there is no room between the headliner and the mirror base even if you didn't mind messing up the headliner.

Mine actually came out relatively easy. Mine was a SoCal car most of its life, but you can still see some corrosion on the pins and spring. A rusty car might be more of a problem...especially if the pin is frozen into the housing.