Repaint and windshield removal

Laldog

Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm almost ready to repaint my coupe and am strongly considering going from red to that bluish-gray color (whose name escapes me at this point).

I know that a windshield removal is advised, but hearing stories about cracked windshields and tempermental trim really makes me hesitate.

Can you guys with experience please weigh in with the pros and cons?

Thanks in advance.

Bill Riblett

(deceased)
Reaction score
Pro:
1) You won't know if the windshield opening is rusty or not if you don't remove the windshields
2) The windshield rubber seals seem to shrink over time, so old paint may show through.

In my opinion, you need an experienced pro to do the re-installation. I do not see how one could install the aluminum trim except to have it in place in the rubber seal when the windshield is installed.

If you decide to remove the windshields yourself, do not try to remove the aluminum trim first. Cut the rubber away from both the trim and when you remove the glass from the car.

Be especially carefully with the rear aluminum trim, it costs about 3 times what the front costs.

nealf

Reaction score
Aluminum window trim (front & rear)

FYI, The trim is easily bent back into shape and easy as well to install into the rubber front and rear windscreen gaskets. After getting the hang of the install of the trim, it just kind of fell into place. This was on my Bavaria but I think the E9 should be just the same.

p.s My trim was really bent and resembled a roller coaster and now you cannot tell when it is installed.

jmackro

Reaction score
Maybe I'm just echoing what others have said, but...

1) Ya gotta take out the glass. It would be silly to spend the $$$ on paint and body, without addressing rust in the windshield area, and then have the finished job look like Earl Scheib did it.

2) Just have a pro remove the glass. Ask around to locate a glass installer who is at least as old as your coupe. Make sure they have worked with gasketed windshields before (this is 20+ year old technology).

3) The trim can not be removed from the gasket until the glass + gasket + trim have been separated from the body. That's the only trick. Re-assembly is the reverse of assembly: press the trim into the gasket after the gasket has been wrapped around the glass. Then install all three parts into the body as an assembly.

Laldog

Site Donor
Reaction score
Windshield removal (Thank you)

OK, OK, OK.

You guys are right. It's no time to go half way, and removing the widshield makes so much sense for the reasons you have pointed out.

I'm really reluctant to embark on another project that will push this 2 year "restoration" project closer to 3 years, but something tells me I'd be kicking myself for a long time if I don't do it now. It's all dried up and cracked, looks like hell and I should get a look at the surrounding metal.
Thanks for the advice and the reality slap.

Now that I know that its coming out and the seal will be replaced, any tips to make this very scary endeavor more easy, quicker and successful??

Thanks in advance.