The end is near....SCOTTeVEST's Baby

Status
Not open for further replies.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Stephen, i don't think it will change my thoughts on the wood veneer because i think it is tied to the interior color more than the paint color. ceylon + black interior work. i also think the orange / brown color of etimoe will work great with ceylon.

Scott, i don't think my thread would be as entertaining as yours ... we have already done the exploratory work ... we are already primed and sanded with front fender lips rolled. i have brand new windshields and gaskets, polished belt trims with new BMW T bolts and rubber nuts and spacers shims from laJolla. i have very good chrome bumpers. its now all about getting the correct color of ceylon and HBChris has made a great suggestion on how to do that ... and we are working on that. biggest question that i have - do i do amber turn signals, or do i go with reds. i will wait until the car is painted to make that decision. i have newly chromed frames with Stan's lenses with red turns in the car right now. i can easily change those to amber if need be.

Last edited:

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
well, i came up with 2 more questions
- chrome wipers to go with the new chrome fender + hood grilles or satin wipers (i have both so that's easy)

- which wheels - originals w/ cn-36 ... 15" alpina style ... 16" coupeking alpinas ... 16" bbs rs ... or find some real alpinas. (i have original wheels, the 15" alpina style + the coupeking 16" as well as the bbs rs centers (would just have to get Ehrlich to put them together)

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Well, Ceylon wasn’t a 2800 color I don’t think so go amber for rear turns.
excellent point since i don't think ceylon came into being until '72. maybe i will rebadge mine as a 3.5 csi

okay, back to scottevest's thread. sorry for the slight detour

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Stephen, i don't think it will change my thoughts on the wood veneer because i think it is tied to the interior color more than the paint color. ceylon + black interior work. i also think the orange / brown color of etimoe will work great with ceylon.

Scott, i don't think my thread would be as entertaining as yours ... we have already done the exploratory work ... we are already primed and sanded with front fender lips rolled. i have brand new windshields and gaskets, polished belt trims with new BMW T bolts and rubber nuts and spacers shims from laJolla. i have very good chrome bumpers. its now all about getting the correct color of ceylon and HBChris has made a great suggestion on how to do that ... and we are working on that. biggest question that i have - do i do amber turn signals, or do i go with reds. i will wait until the car is painted to make that decision. i have newly chromed frames with Stan's lenses with red turns in the car right now. i can easily change those to amber if need be.

I didn’t realize how much planning was required in order to do this. I feel like I have essentially done a three-quarter‘s restoration of the exterior and a few touches to the interior all with some rust repair and remediation done properly along the way and replacement of the suspension lights etc. all in the course of six weeks or so. I imagine it’s a lot easier if you plan out well in advance. I can’t wait to see the results of your car.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
14's or 15's Alpina with Cinturatos!

well, i came up with 2 more questions
- chrome wipers to go with the new chrome fender + hood grilles or satin wipers (i have both so that's easy)

- which wheels - originals w/ cn-36 ... 15" alpina style ... 16" coupeking alpinas ... 16" bbs rs ... or find some real alpinas. (i have original wheels, the 15" alpina style + the coupeking 16" as well as the bbs rs centers (would just have to get Ehrlich to put them together)

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
there is a difference... i like the big side wall tires on 14" rims.... on a OEM coupe.
But if you go stiffer springs, lowering, stiffer shocks etc... you still loose much of the more "sportscar" feel with those "balloon" tires....

DWMBMW

Site Donor
Reaction score
That could also be considered a benefit. I am about to downsize to 14 “ Alpinas and am contemplating also getting some lowering springs. The springs would improve the stance but wouln’t the 14 “ tires offset the stiffer ride a bit keeping it more of the intended grand tourer vs sports car?

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Yes, I have lowering springs and Bilsteins (which also add stifness) and the ride on the 14's is much improved over bumps than larger rims. I don't corner my car aggressively so the added cushion is great around town.

That could also be considered a benefit. I am about to downsize to 14 “ Alpinas and am contemplating also getting some lowering springs. The springs would improve the stance but wouln’t the 14 “ tires offset the stiffer ride a bit keeping it more of the intended grand tourer vs sports car?

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Honestly this is one that you may want to make a visit on for a couple of reasons: You may not have had a distinct character line there before (from the previous paint job), so for them, there is nothing out of the ordinary or that they feel they have done to remove this line in the first place. Also, with black and other dark colors it is more difficult to see the line so I imagine it makes it harder for the body guys to get correct if the paint is not totally removed.

I would maybe save some pictures from the internet that clearly shows this line on the coupe and take it to your shop to show the body guy and then walk over to the car and feel that area with him. There are not many lines on the coupe, so this is one area you don't want goobered up.

I owe you big time. See below response from Benny
4cb15d4fae503aa2573e872f2f1c3687.jpg

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Big update today.

See the video here, and my apologies it is is 18 min long.

Big take-aways:
  • distinctive creases in body were not there and need to be recreated. Thanks to this forum for pointing this out. Thanks VERY much Walter. I wonder how many e9s are missing this distinctive feature.
  • end of april at earliest to be done, but could not get a commitment from Benny
  • bbs wheels look great.
  • need new defroster vents. where is best place to get
  • will need all new engine stickers. where should i source these?
  • got wood out of dash. Now need to find a place to get done. I have a couple of options based upon suggestions, but time is of the essence to get done when car is done.
  • need to send clock to get fixed: The cost to install a new VDO quartz movement into your E9 clock is $398.00 + shipping, and the turn around time is about 3 weeks.
    Palo Alto Speedometer, Inc.
  • Found some more rust in front passenger wheel well that we are fixing.
  • Trip Odometer is not working. Not sure if there is any easy fix.
  • Need to order the stickers for engine compartment.
  • Benny is keeping track of extra costs. Any guess?
Thanks so much!

Last edited:

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
defroster vents...Ebay.com, ebay.de, ebay.uk, etc.

You might as well get new rotors and pads now. Pads are cheap, labor isn't. Not sure how much rotors are, but you'll need to get them eventually.

Last edited:

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
hahhhaaha, great change ... first a "discussed" quote of 8k for repaint... now , 1k for more visible line, yeah ok, we must do it !
Scott , did you rob a bank in the meantime ? :D

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Take photos of existing stickers, send pics to Carl Nelson. US 74 has a few unique stickers like tires (195/70-14) and emissions stickers. Ask here first before applying.

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Take photos of existing stickers, send pics to Carl Nelson. US 74 has a few unique stickers like tires (195/70-14) and emissions stickers. Ask here first before applying.
Thanks! I searched Google for US 74, but no luck. Is that a user name here? I have pictures, and will email Carl after dm'ing him here. What is his un?

BTW, am I the only one that HATES the steering feel in their coupe? It feels like a Cadillac from the 70's. Hoping the changes I am making to tires and suspension will make the steering feel firmer, but doubt it.

Status
Not open for further replies.