Repair shop in Boise Idaho for engine work any advice is appreciated

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
My 1974 BMW 3.0 CS needs engine work. I am trying to find a reputable shop that can repair the rings and do whatever's necessary to make sure that it is running properly. I have been told by various different people different advice ranging from replace the entire engine for a cost of up to $10,000 to a simple rebuilding rings and valves or something like that for about $2000. I would prefer to keep the original engine if it all possible. The engine has about 186,000 miles on it but I believe is otherwise worth salvaging. It really runs very strong. Feels almost as fast as my 1990 Porsche 911 see you too. I do love the classics.

The car generally runs great but the phones about a quarter of oil every 400 or so miles and goes through coolant fairly erratically and rapidly. It smokes a little when you start but otherwise runs like a champ and probably would continue doing so for many years to come. Any advice on how to go about selecting the best shop to do this would be greatly appreciated.

classic bmw engine repair boise - Google Search http://buff.ly/H5m0Ex

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
It might be due for a more thorough rebuild if you are going to do rings. At this point, you should really examine what is what once inside. Does it need cam chains, Oil Pump, water pump, head rebuilt, camshaft, etc.
Maybe it would be better to buy an engine from a reputable E9 source (Such as SF Don or other) and have it trucked up for installation.

x_atlas0

Reaction score
Given it is the original engine in original specification, I would be more inclined to rebuild what is there. The M30 is a dead-simple engine, so a rebuild should not be crazy money.

Machining- $500
Pistons- Custom- ~$1000
Oil pump- $150
Water pump- $150
Rings- $?
Main caps/crank bearings- $?
Gaskets- $200
Rear main seal- $100
Timing chain/guides/tensioner-$100

Labor- $?

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
A few thoughts for you....
Only a machine shop with the correct tools and good sense can determine whether your engine can be rebuilt.
You need to measure the thickness of the head and have it pressure tested.
You need to test for flatness with a machinists straight edge.
You need to measure the bores for size and shape and the same for the pistons.
If you are leaking water into your bore you may have eaten the wall up and might need to walk away any way.
M30 cranks crack all the time at the flywheel bolt holes. You need to take a look.
At 200,000 miles you may find you need rockers, shafts and guides. Cost is about 400.
Cam is a few hundred more. Rings and bearings are 250 more. Cam and crank gears are another 100. Chains another hundred. All seals and gaskets 200 more. Pistons or bores worn- add another 1000 bucks.
Leave oil pumps alone. You want to replace the gear and chain. Leave the pump alone.
Machine shop cost for complete engine labor is 900 bucks if pistons and bores ok.
As a good rule of thumb- avoid any engine with 200k on it.
Avoid any head dated before 1982.
Avoid any head with more than 10 thousandths machined off of it.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
very good advices here from very knowledgeable friends, i will accomodate my own thoughts on them if they do not mind...:grin:

as i have fresh all this information after ordering the rebuild of three engines i can give you an accurate estimation

Given it is the original engine in original specification, I would be more inclined to rebuild what is there. The M30 is a dead-simple engine, so a rebuild should not be crazy money. agree, unless you find cracks on the head or warped surfaces on the block, or too much corrosion and deposits inside it, or ..., generally speaking maintaining your engine is possible, on the other hand finding a good replacement engine is not easy

you might not need to do all of the following, it depends on what the engine needs, but, a complete job will be:

checking flatness, cracks, and tightness - 100 euro
Machining- $500
Pistons- Custom- ~$1000
Oil pump- $150 / actual price at BMW is 400 euro (i had to replace 3/3 of the oil pumps in the three rebuild engines)
Water pump- $150
Rings- $? / they are included in the MAHLE pistons if you buy them from BMW dealer
Main caps/crank bearings- $? around 200 euro
Gaskets- $200 / for a walloth kit yes, if you go for higher quality head gasket and/or original BMW gaskets, this will be around 350 euro
Rear main seal- $100
Timing chain/guides/tensioner-$100
oil pump chain 40 euro
valve guides 200 euro
head bolts 40 euro
valves complete (set of 12) - 600 euro
all the bits for valve adjustment, eccentric, bolts, nut, springs, clips, ..., set - 60 euro
new bolts for rear flywheel and front damper - 40 euro
rockers: 36x12 units
shafts: 56x4 units
cam: 300 euro

Labor- $? in my experience a complete rebuild in a good shop is around 2500 euro

roughly speaking a complete rebuild of an M30 engine can go between 2000euro up to 6000euro (i have the three invoices with me)
[/QUOTE]

Only a machine shop with the correct tools and good sense can determine whether your engine can be rebuilt. very important, first let them check and advise, unfortunately the engine can not be checked without splitting it into parts

Leave oil pumps alone. You want to replace the gear and chain. Leave the pump alone. not in my experience of three M30 engines, but is easy, let them check the play and function of your existing pump and then decide, good news, the pump is available

As a good rule of thumb- avoid any engine with 200k on it. if you are able to know the mileage, and if you have an alternative engine, good advice,...but sometimes you have what you have

Avoid any head dated before 1982. good advice, in most cases that means a hunt for a head, it is doable, many available here and there...not extremely expensive (around 300 euro), problem the shipment costs, they are heavy !

Avoid any head with more than 10 thousandths machined off of it. right !

x_atlas0

Reaction score
deQuincy-

Thank you for the updated prices! I put those together a long time ago, (~2005) so updated pricing is good.

M5dCS

Reaction score
engine rebuild

I am in Japan at present, and will be returning to Idaho in Dec, I can build you about any configuration of engine you would like. I have built a lot of BMW engines from F2 4 cylinders to S38s. If you are interested you can reach me at 208 347 3309 after about the 10th of Dec. Thanks, Leroy

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Sorry

I am very sorry for my lack of prompt replies. Unfortunately, one of my dogs became extremely ill and I've had to take her back-and-forth to the hospital in Boise over the last several days. I do appreciate everyone's comments here. I think I am going to delay this by a year since the car is running fine just smells a bit. Thank you very much.

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Just revisiting this thread now. Thank you very much. My dog is doing OK by the way although it has been a very rough ride. Had to remove both of her eyes less than a year ago but she is doing amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk