Resurrecting 2265631....

rudeuk2

Reaction score
OK, I feel sorry for it... It's been used as a parts car and the good bits have been swapped out and replaced with some not so good bits and only half of those have gone back in.... badly! It's had a moody overhaul sometime years ago where the door posts were mullered by someone and those patches have even rotted out now and the passenger A post filled with lead. The respray is blistered all over and the wiring is a nest of mess. To add to it, someone else has checked for rot all over it with a big hammer and cut out vital panel parts with a spoon. BUT.... it starts on the key, runs (at 3000rpm tickover) goes forwards, backwards, left and right so it's telling me that there is at least a 19% chance that it could be a car again.... Heres some first look pics, big ones too.....

WP_002446.jpg

WP_002471.jpg

WP_002539.jpg

WP_002538.jpg

WP_002469.jpg

WP_002470.jpg

I have codenamed it 'christine 2' (my 635 was 1 ) and ever the optimist I have decided to make it that car again. 8)
It's going to be made into a tough everyday daily driver that is not scared of the rain.... so purists be warned! :mrgreen:
I have most of the panels covered for it but I still need some of the shiney bits that are missing and interior bits, so if you have anything hiding about then let me know (UK) Cheers fellas.

Ed G

Site Donor
Reaction score
E9 Disease strikes again

Many have scrapped much better rides. You'll be my hero if it get's MOT'd in 3 years!

Best of Luck!

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
this task is NOT for the faint of heart. i hope it works out well for you and you are able to take it to completion. please keep us apprised of the progress with a photo essay.

all the best
scott

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Make sure your Tetanus shot is up to date. You Brits take on the toughest assignments.

rudeuk2

Reaction score
Well, this is a couple of shades worse than my 635 which I got MOT'D within 4 months and that had no corners left on it, and you can buy repair panels for this... in this country too, which makes life a little easier. I am a little shocked at the state of it, but enjoy motors enough to see past all that. I would have started it this week, it's was heavily stripped and had a cold shower last week but someone in my family just 'left the building' so its postponed for a few days to get all that out of the way...
These old motors have a bad time in the UK, we are surrounded by sea water after all.... ;)

David

Site Donor
Reaction score
I seem to recall another member,"Malc", that took on something like this. I haven't seen a post from him in quite awhile. You might do a search on his posts to get a sense of what's ahead. I think he may have been in the UK too.

rudeuk2

Reaction score
Still going...... On the o/s/f wing. Here's a boot/ trunk pic but I have about 90,000 pictures of everything.

boot5jpg_zps60bcf998.jpg

WP_004371_zpsf7a82fc0.jpg

And there's no filler in that!!!

I've already got a massive build thread running on another forum. Everything, and I mean everything on this car was rotten.

Worst bit to repair had to be the damage to the INSIDE of the rear post next to the rear screen down into the boot itself. Above the boot lid hinge if you like..... shocking. Also a bit shocking was that the sponge above the roof lining had absorbed a lot of moisture... like a sponge does, and all the adhesive on the roof to fix this sponge, had turned to rot.

The only bit of brown crust left on the shell now is the radiator support box section. I'm serious when I write that because every bit of dead metal has been cut out of it and remade or repaired, even in the bits you can't see. In fact, I've enjoyed doing this E9 so much, I've just took on 2265938 which, as far as everyone who has been or is associated with it reckons... it is the only RHD GOLF yellow CSi left.
Really trying to find another so any info will help.

Last edited:

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Looking good. Can you post a link to your build thread on the other forum?
I would love to see more of the gory details and what you have done.
Thanks

rudeuk2

Reaction score
Cheers! Yeah, sure and here is the link, but bare in mind you'll need to sign up to see the pictures and an hour and a half to read it. It's a good site anyway and one I have spent much time on.

Project E9... Resurrecting the dead...

Apologies mods if you don't allow links to other forums but I refuse to post the thread twice.... It's massive!

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Just signed up on BMWForums. Looked at a couple of photos. As Tiny Tim(not the American twit) said, "God bless us one and all." Your Charles Dickens.
Steve

rudeuk2

Reaction score
White one is now waiting for a nsf wing, some tidying and then paint. In the meantime...

2265938 is being bought up to speed which has just had the boot/trunk floor replaced, and rear panels made good. A lot of filler on this car, some 15mm thick in places... not cool....

More info...

rudeuk2

Reaction score
Yellow one is now rot free. Although there was not as much crusty bits as the white one, people had been everywhere before... And not made it much better, in fact worse in some cases. Still, there's a little way to go yet on both cars to get them ready for paint but the finish line is much closer :p