REUSING MY RUBBER!

StephenZ

Site Donor
Reaction score
Minds out of the gutter, please....I mean my windshield rubber...:) So I finally sat and looked at the rubber gasket and found that it was very easy to remove the windshield and gasket without damaging either one. If your gasket is in good shape, go for it. Yay!
Looking at the pics, I just folded the rubber lip edge around the metal frame on the inside top and sides...after that the windshield just leaned right out...no trouble whatsoever...so glad...with the stupid NLA gasket drama behind me, I can move forward on body work..Happy day..
-Stephen Z

IMG_9610.jpg
IMG_9609.jpg
IMG_9606.jpg

dp

Site Donor
Reaction score
Good for you Stephen, while it is out, coat it with a film of this product right here put it in a plastic trash bag and tie wrap the bag closed until you are ready for your reinstall, then a few days before the reinstall, take it out, coat another film onto it and let it sit for a day then wipe it clean, thoroughly clean including all the nooks and crannys. I don't use the soap method for reinstall, because it is hard keeping the soap from staining the edge of the headliner, a loop of 1/8" nylon sash cord in the outer groove will help that lip you pried back to flip right over the sheetmetal lip...like buttah...but w/o buttah!
61Qj6gFaHHL._SL1000_.jpg

StephenZ

Site Donor
Reaction score
Good for you Stephen, while it is out, coat it with a film of this product right here put it in a plastic trash bag and tie wrap the bag closed until you are ready for your reinstall, then a few days before the reinstall, take it out, coat another film onto it and let it sit for a day then wipe it clean, thoroughly clean including all the nooks and crannys. I don't use the soap method for reinstall, because it is hard keeping the soap from staining the edge of the headliner, a loop of 1/8" nylon sash cord in the outer groove will help that lip you pried back to flip right over the sheetmetal lip...like buttah...but w/o buttah!
61Qj6gFaHHL._SL1000_.jpg

Awesome, I'll check it out! Yeah, I cleaned it immediately with some good rubber conditioner...it's not flawless, but close enough, considering the options. Install is super easy. I've done a bunch of them...just never had to try and save an old rubber seal before...glad it worked. Phew!

Reactions: dp