RHD CSL Stripes

Bloodnut

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have been reading and absorbing information from the forum for some time now and am posting for the first time.
A big thank you to all the members who have been such a great help to me in the restoration of my Chamonix RHD CSL.
I have a question regarding the correct coloured CSL stripes for my car.
DId the RHD CSL's all have Black stripes, or did some RHD Chamonix cars have the tri-colour stripes?
Thanks in anticipation and thanks again to all members, for all the wonderful information available on this forum.
Couldn't do it without you.

Tom.

wage73

Reaction score
You will find most CSLs have black side stripes, but Ive seen them in other colours on cars. Mine has dark green for example. I imagine when new you could choose what you wanted?

Marco 54

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hi Tom

I understand that RHD cars in white came with black stripes but the 'Martini' tri-colour stripes were available as an official BMW after market option.
I think the tri-colour stripes look best on white cars. I am less sure about them on silver - even the batmobiles.

Marco

Drew20

Site Donor
Reaction score
My car currently has black stripes, following a reasonably recent resto, but looking through the car's history it used to have the Motorsport stripes, right up until its restoration. Obviously that does not mean that it came from the dealer with the multi-coloured stripes, but I think the photos date from the early 80s, so when the car was ~10 year old.

I like the Motorsport stripes and if I was restoring it now, I would (probably) plump for those, that is on a Chamonix CSL. Agree that they might not work so well on an Inca or a Taiga car, for example!

Mal CSL 3.0

Site Donor
Reaction score
You might find this useful. Read pg 2.

If is from an official BMW UK CSL brochure that came with RHD CSLs. Therefore there were 3 single colour stripe options and the Motorsport stripes at no extra charge available on Chamonix and Polaris.

e9_1974_en_14.JPG

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
You might find this useful. Read pg 2.

If is from an official BMW UK CSL brochure that came with RHD CSLs. Therefore there were 3 single colour stripe options and the Motorsport stripes at no extra charge available on Chamonix and Polaris.

View attachment 31720

But it specifically states that the three color option is for Bats.

Mal CSL 3.0

Site Donor
Reaction score
But it specifically states that the three color option is for Bats.

Although I think if you asked BMW UK at the time they may have been willing to do Motorsport stripes for a Polaris or Chamonix RHD CSL . They apparently had to work hard to sell these 500 RHD CSLs so were quite accommodating (who knows for sure, but I have seen a few UK CSLs with MS stripes)

I have an origional UK sales brochure and all photos are LHD European cars, as they didn't create a UK specific version. They just translated the German one.

e9_1974_en_01.JPG

coalboy

Reaction score
Thanks for the thread guys, I'm reading with interest as I'm just coming to the end of a RHD Polaris CSL "major" rebuild. It had black stripes when I bought it but I'm drawn to the tri colours! Does anyone know where to buy a good set? Reading Yannicks note I like the sound of the original colours of orange, blue and purple rather than the modern colours.

All help gratefully received.

Marco 54

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Good evening Coalboy

Coupeguy (https:coupeguy.com) sells tri-colour stripes for $675 for 8 (including 2 on the front spoiler). The stripes appear to be the red/purple/blue ones, and not the orange version described by Yannick.

I am not sure whether the orange stripes were an option on CSLs. Were they were used on earlier competition models? Perhaps Yannick can clarify.

I have the same booklet as Mal (above) and the stripes in that booklet are distinctly red. The booklet is dated 2/74. The paragraph highlighted by Mal reads -‘A further external feature of the BMW 3.0 CSL is a narrow stripe at the level of the waistline, colour matched to the basic paintwork in black, dark blue or dark green. With the colours Polaris (silver metallic) or Chamonix (white) the BMW 3.0 CSL can be supplied as a special version at no extra cost with a three-coloured stripe.’

I therefore agree with Mal’s interpretation that tri-colour stripes were an option on standard CSLs. I have never seen a Batmobile without tri-colour stripes and therefore there would be no point in making them an option.

Those of us based in UK find imports from USA expensive, as we pay VAT of 20% on the combined value of the item AND the shipping cost. There is also an element of import duty and a handling fee of £10 or thereabouts levied by the carrier.

If anyone can identify good quality tri-colour stripes for less within Europe I am also interested!!!

Good luck, Coalboy.

Marco54

afishe

Site Donor
Reaction score
just to tag onto the thread - I am assuming black strips would be correct for fijord blue CSL rather than the dark blue option?

Marco 54

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hi afishe

TBH I don't know!!! However I can say that I have owned a fjord blue CSL since 1982. When I bought it the stripes were black and I think they were original. Many years ago I did see a silver CSL with blue stripes but my understanding was that blue stripes were primarily intended for the blue cars. The extract I quote above suggests that both blue and black might be considered 'original'.

Others may have more precise recollections, or a deeper understanding and I would be interested to know.

Best wishes.

Marco54

Mal CSL 3.0

Site Donor
Reaction score
Back to the original post from Bloodnut. In my opinion I think a Chamonix CSL looks unbeatable with the tri colored Motorsport stripes.

michelk

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks for the thread guys, I'm reading with interest as I'm just coming to the end of a RHD Polaris CSL "major" rebuild. It had black stripes when I bought it but I'm drawn to the tri colours! Does anyone know where to buy a good set? Reading Yannicks note I like the sound of the original colours of orange, blue and purple rather than the modern colours.

All help gratefully received.
hello
www.bmwclassiccar.com