RHD CSL with mods..

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Mods aren’t bad but quality of the seat retrim and dash looks a bit off. What do you think of asking price? Seller states one of 200 RHD CSL!

afishe

Site Donor
Reaction score
Mods aren’t bad but quality of the seat retrim and dash looks a bit off. What do you think of asking price? Seller states one of 200 RHD CSL!
They actually say one of 200 UK RHD CSL - but I am pretty sure all 500 made were sent to the UK importer anyway? Dash looks about right - seat trim is a bit odd. I quite like the engine on carbs - might do that to mine if it doesnt get too much hate - as the seller says - the D-jet stuff is included and it could be swapped back. I do think the colour is great. Price seems pretty 'optimistic' but then again - there are not a huge amount of details of the extent of the restoration

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
My humble view is those modifications actually harm the value of the car. Those seats look terrible, there is a heap of non-factory stuff happening in the engine bay too. No mention of if even matching numbers. The colour change also probably hurts it. There is obviously a lot of time and money poured into this car but from what I've seen of recent CSL sales is originality is what commands the good prices. They are also wrong on the 200 number as it's actually 500 UK delivered RHD cars. They could be mixed up as I think there may have been around 200 drive back cars. These were driven from Germany back to the UK as early demonstration cars ect but don't know if this is one.
Just my five cents worth. Curious to hear what others think.

afishe

Site Donor
Reaction score
My humble view is those modifications actually harm the value of the car. Those seats look terrible, there is a heap of non-factory stuff happening in the engine bay too. No mention of if even matching numbers. The colour change also probably hurts it. There is obviously a lot of time and money poured into this car but from what I've seen of recent CSL sales is originality is what commands the good prices. They are also wrong on the 200 number as it's actually 500 UK delivered RHD cars. They could be mixed up as I think there may have been around 200 drive back cars. These were driven from Germany back to the UK as early demonstration cars ect but don't know if this is one.
Just my five cents worth. Curious to hear what others think.
You are right, it probably does hurt the value - but then, value is not everything, the guy built his car as he wanted it and I can respect that (so long as it is not utterly tasteless!) So long as there are a few 100% original examples around, I am not sure they all have to be that way. People seem fine with 'normal' E9's on webbers, 5spd gearboxes, later 3.5 motors etc but as soon as it is a CSL the opinion seems to be 100% as original is the only thing that is acceptable and I find that a bit odd. I am pretty sure I will put my car back together as original but I do find some of the period modifications on the GS tuned CSL very appealing so I might end up making something of an homage to that. or maybe not - thats all a long way off!

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
You are right, it probably does hurt the value - but then, value is not everything, the guy built his car as he wanted it and I can respect that (so long as it is not utterly tasteless!) So long as there are a few 100% original examples around, I am not sure they all have to be that way. People seem fine with 'normal' E9's on webbers, 5spd gearboxes, later 3.5 motors etc but as soon as it is a CSL the opinion seems to be 100% as original is the only thing that is acceptable and I find that a bit odd. I am pretty sure I will put my car back together as original but I do find some of the period modifications on the GS tuned CSL very appealing so I might end up making something of an homage to that. or maybe not - thats all a long way off!

I think the issue here is there is a view that CSL's are essentially collector cars and that market values originality. The other E9's usually fall into the category of enthusiast cars where a degree of customisation is usually expected and provided it's tasteful probably doesn't hurt value too much.

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
Looks like 220-225k USD, so not a totally outrageous ask, IF the body has been thoroughly restored. I hope he gets 200k US.

Jago Bret

Reaction score
There’s a good article about this car in Practical Classics “The Enthusiasts guide to BMW Classics. Sadly the owner Rick Dickinson passed away shortly after finishing the restoration. He was an interesting man by all accounts and worked as the senior designer on iconic Sinclair Spectrum and ZX81 computers in the 1980’s!!