RHD E9 Auction - the results are in

Michael Kaye

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just back from an auction where I was actively bidding on this E9:

https://online.handh.co.uk/m/lot-details/index/catalog/114/lot/43802/?url=/m/view-auctions/catalog/id/114/

Unfortunately (well fortunately considering the final price), I was out bid. It was a lovely car. Looked beautiful, very original and seemed quite rust free. BUT as those of you who I've been speaking with know, the car had some problems:

1. Shutlines/gaps very poor on both doors (likely had door bottoms and probably wings replaced and whoever did it didn't do a great job)
2. The drivers door in fact was twisted vertically, with little room for adjustment
3. Mechanicals needed a complete going over - new leads, pipes etc and brakes/servos needed a complete rebuild
4. Boot/trunk lid had had some work - weld's let it and as a result had a rather large over hang.
5. Absolutely no history (history file went missing!)
6. Seats and interior needs to be completely re-upholstered

I was guess to put these things right you would be looking at ~£15 to £20K (including a quality respray to match the current paintwork).

So all in all, a good car, looked lovely but probably sold for £20/22k over it's true value. A telephone bidder got it in the end for £62,000 + fees (total of £71,300!). I'm guessing they didn't view the car and just went with the way it looked (and don't get me wrong it did look lovely).

If anyone is interested, I have high quality photos of the car.

Michael.

Attachments

• 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    505 KB · Views: 168
Last edited:

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Car looks beautiful, I'd love to see your pictures of the problem areas- that will teach us what to watch out for on an otherwise pretty awesome looking car!

Thanks for posting

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I do see what you're talking about but I must say it's a very nice car. I feel the buyer will not be too disappointed, I think the fitment can be adjusted a bit and it would be nice to see some better brightwork around the rear lights but basically I'm really diggin that car, of course the steering wheel is on the wrong side....

Michael Kaye

Site Donor
Reaction score
I do see what you're talking about but I must say it's a very nice car. I feel the buyer will not be too disappointed, I think the fitment can be adjusted a bit and it would be nice to see some better brightwork around the rear lights but basically I'm really diggin that car, of course the steering wheel is on the wrong side....

It is a nice car but not really £70K worth of nice car in my opinion.

Wladek

Reaction score
In that case, i really don't understand - why the car with very average level restoration from 90's, that still need a lot of work, is worth only 20-30k less if compare to hi-end restored car from nowdays??? And it's not 100% said that hi-end e9 owner will receive his 90-100k just like that quick 62k on auction.

Mal CSL 3.0

Site Donor
Reaction score
Whilst some may disagree, specific colours can add big premiums to E9 prices. E9s with some of the amazing metallics like Turkis, Taiga, Tundra, Ceylon, and if original paint, always seem to sell for about 30% higher prices and sell faster.

I have not seen a more beautiful E9 than this one at the BMW museum. So I think Turkis E9s are the best of the best imo.

2B8A1345-85E3-49B6-AE00-C14B39A6BE28.jpeg

Rek

Reaction score
It is a nice car but not really £70K worth of nice car in my opinion.

Somebody obviously thought it was.

It was probably not worth £25k a few years back, and won't be worth £100k in a few years time.

I would kill for those panel gaps, although that front twisted door might raise a few concerns. It's either a simple reshaping of the door, or some alignment issue at the hinges.

Michael Kaye

Site Donor
Reaction score
I wonder what proportion of the price was paid for the registration number?

I was wondering the same…it was definitely an incentive for the buyer. I was considering if I was successful, I would sell on the registration number on, in order to fund the work on fixing the doors! :)

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
[QUOTE="Mal CSL 3.0, post: 252890, member: 29892] I have not seen a more beautiful E9 than this one at the BMW museum. So I think Turkis E9s are the best of the best imo.

View attachment 61919[/QUOTE]

This particular Turkis car is a Csl and in private ownership. Makes it all the more special as they weren’t many Turkis Csl’s produced. And the Alpina B2S rims with the chubby tires make it even more sexy, even if not ‘correct’ for this car.

Mal CSL 3.0

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks Keshav for the extra photos.

I just noticed it doesn’t have a small BMW roundel middle of the boot duck tail spoiler. I guess it must be factory spec not to have that? I also notice in the actual CSL brochure it’s pictured without it.
Interesting because I have also seen a lot of CSLs with the small BMW spoiler roundel.

(Also curious as I just bought a genuine rear CSL spoiler which has the roundel, so maybe I should delete that? Any advice?)

55D322E8-0FE8-449E-9D02-415F136EE6AD.png

2DF683E2-E088-47A7-96D1-CB0125742EBB.jpeg