Right Windows won't work

RIQUE

Reaction score
Hi list, after I picked my car from the paint shop, right windows did not work. I figured they forgot to connect the wires. I took the door apart to check and the front wires, blue and black were not connected. I tested to see if they receive current when I push the switch and they receive 12 volts up and down. There is a black box with four terminals and no other marks. I connected them in all posible combinations but I only get a slight click from the black box? How must I connect these wires or is there something else wrong. When took car to paint shop all windows worked.
Thanks, Enrique

TILLA

Site Donor
Reaction score
Rique,

When you say blue and black I question if your car has had the motors replaced with those from an e28. The original motors has three wires - green, black, and brown that are connected to a terminal block on the regulator frame. They should be connected to corresponding colored wires where the brown is grounded to the door and the green and black go to the switch. If you do have the new motors, they have a blue and black wire which should be connected to the green and black wires leading to the switch - the brown ground wire is not needed.

RIQUE

Reaction score
Mark, the blue and black cables seem to connect directly to the black box. I get power from these cables when I action the switch. Does the e28 motor have four connecting pins as mine does? Thanks, ENrique

TILLA

Site Donor
Reaction score
Riuqe,

I'm not sure what that black box is - could it be an aftermarket device like an auto down relay? The e28 motors have only two leads - black and blue so depending on the polarity of the current you apply the window will go up or down whereas the older motors have three leads which I assume connect to two seperate windings, one to turn the motor clockwise, one to turn it counter (anti) clockwise, and a ground.

PaulinPa

Reaction score
On my 74 with stock black window motors the black wire goes on the tab towards the front and interior of the car and the blue wire goes on the tab next to it but towards the trunk.If you don't have ALL the window switches plugged in sometimes the motors won't go.My car also has a black box under the rear seat,guess it's another relay.

RIQUE

Reaction score
PaulinaP,

Seem our cars have similar wireing and the black box. I will take a pic to see if it is the same. Do you or anybody else know if these windows operate with relays? maybe I have a problem there. THanks, Enrique

x_atlas0

Reaction score
My window wiring doesn't sound any bit like yours. Have you tried eliminating the "black box" entirely? The wiring should be able to go straight through the switch, as per another thread on this site about the E28 window upgrade.

RIQUE

Reaction score
Not possible its a integral part of the window motor. Do you know if the windows go through a relay somewhere in the car. Inside the rear seat compartment there is nothing.

TILLA

Site Donor
Reaction score
Rique,

It sounds like you have the later version motors, it's helpful to know what year coupe you have. Mine is a 72 and has the older sardine can type motors, but from what I have seen in parts and repair manuals there were changes which included breakers mounted on the panel under the dashboard.

RIQUE

Reaction score
you are totally right. My car is a 73 CSA. Hope this helps solve my misterious problem. I thought it might be burnt motor but I doubt it because the rear windo has the same problem. IT seems like a disconnected cable on a relay some place.

RIQUE

Reaction score
Tilla by breaker do you mean those tinny little red buttons. under the dash right to the steering wheel? When I pushem, niether side window works. Then push again and left side works

TILLA

Site Donor
Reaction score
Yes, those red buttons are circuit breakers that were added to later cars. You mentioned in your first post that you get voltage, do you get it at the motor? if so then I would think that it could be that there isn't enough current - maybe a corroded or otherwise bad connection. Did you try turning the white nylon gear between the motor and gear housing?

RIQUE

Reaction score
Mark, what do you mean by voltage at the Motor? The two cables blue and black when connected to my voltmeter will give 12V when I press the window switch. How do I measure at the motor? Enrique

TILLA

Site Donor
Reaction score
Where are you measuring the voltage at? Does the polarity switch when you press the switch the other way?

RIQUE

Reaction score
I am measureing at the cable terminals that connect to the black box. I don't recall the voltage changing but should say UP be positive and when DOWN switched is pushed then negative? Thanks again, Enrique

gazzol

Reaction score
Rique the black box you refer to is the window motor. my car has these motors fitted and they are a P.I.T.A. They seize up when the car has been stood for a while.
What you need to do is :- with the wires disconnected take hold of the black box and pull down hard. The black part is just a plastic cover and it will slide off. On the fronts you won't be able to remove it completely but you should be able to pull it down far enough to squirt some easing oil in there and try turning the motor which will be stiff, if you can't turn it (you probably won't) carefully slide a thin screwdriver into the slots in the armature of the motor and use the screwdiver as a lever rocking the motor backwards and forwards. As soon as you can move the motor you'll find it works again. once it works spay some more oil into the bearings and run the motor up and down to get the rust out of the bearings, then spay some liquid grease in there too.
I've had to do this everytime my car has been laid up for a while so I'm pretty convinced that this is your problem, let me know how you get on.

RIQUE

Reaction score
Gazzol, exactly as you mentioned the black motors were stuck with old grease. Got front one running. Thanks to all for the support.
Enrique