Rocker covers

Laldog

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi all,

Does anyone have any recent experience with purchasing replacement parts for the rocker panel area? (rocker cover, etc) I want to weld in some replacements.

I know Jaymic sells them, but is there anyone else selling them that may have a better fit or is in the US and I won't get killed on shipping??

Thanks in advance.

Bill Riblett

(deceased)
Reaction score
BMW still has them, but the price (like a lot of other BMW parts) has risen dramatically in the past year or so. The outer covers are now $273.13 USD each. The 3 other structural parts are all even more expensive.

chicane

Reaction score
I was also curious about the outer rocker covers. Are these structural members or no?

gazzol

Reaction score
The very outer part as seen when the car is on the road and complete is decorative, under that is the structural outer panel then there is a central membrane and then the inner panel which makes the step on the inside side of the door rubber seals.

TimP

Reaction score
ORC

I bought the outer structural piece from BMW a couple of years ago. They weren't cheap but they got them faster than anyone else I found could and I got a 20% discount with my BMWCCA membership.

chicane

Reaction score

Bill Riblett

(deceased)
Reaction score
chicane said:
gazzol said:
The very outer part as seen when the car is on the road and complete is decorative, under that is the structural outer panel then there is a central membrane and then the inner panel which makes the step on the inside side of the door rubber seals.

Just to clarify:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=3442&mospid=47808&btnr=41_1210&hg=41&fg=20

#7 is decorative, #8 and #9 are structural, correct?
No, the covers are shown on a different "page". They are #3 on this diagram:
http://www.bmwmobiletradition-onlin...el=3435&mospid=47811&btnr=51_3430&hg=51&fg=20
The diagram in your link shows the 3 structural parts.

G

Reaction score
Bill Riblett said:
chicane said:
gazzol said:

Just to clarify:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=3442&mospid=47808&btnr=41_1210&hg=41&fg=20

http://www.bmwmobiletradition-onlin...el=3435&mospid=47811&btnr=51_3430&hg=51&fg=20

I was under the impression no#1 was the outer decorative piece !
So what is .. no#1.. and where does it go ?
I am missing the ..I don't know what to call them anymore ! outer rocker sill moulding aluminum cover ! :roll:

Quick estimate $1200 "per side" for lower door mouldings and as some one else posted, almost $600 :? for a turn signal switch...thats just ridiculous..

chicane

Reaction score
G said:
Bill Riblett said:
chicane said:
gazzol said:

Just to clarify:

I was under the impression no#1 was the outer decorative piece !
So what is .. no#1.. and where does it go ?
I am missing the ..I don't know what to call them anymore ! outer rocker sill moulding aluminum cover ! :roll:

Quick estimate $1200 "per side" for lower door mouldings and as some one else posted, almost $600 :? for a turn signal switch...thats just ridiculous..

#1 is the moulding. We are refering to the actual metal welded to the car.

G

Reaction score
#1 is the moulding. We are refering to the actual metal welded to the car.

Nah I doubt that, Section"51" is trim and Detail..Section "41" Bodywork.

chicane

Reaction score
gazzol said:

Ok, now I am really not following you. What is the "outer" decorative and what is the "outer" structural panels? Can you use RealOEM and maybe some pics to illustrate which are which?

blumax

(deceased)
Reaction score
Confusion--ORC--is non-structural

#1 is the outer s/s with vinyl insert strip that is decorative--and attached to the ORC
#2 & 5 s/s screws--correctly installed ORC is screwed in place--screws go into upper part of structural rocker--then screws covered by the outer s/s threshold trim strip--plus screws at front and rear edges of wheel well openings--some have pop-riveted the lower edge of the ORC to the lower edge of the structural rocker
#3 ORC--original was covered with a rubberized texture bonded to the underlying mild steel of the cover
#4 short seal that goes between the ORC and lower part of front fender--there is also a longer seal--? not showing--that fits similarly from the rear edge of the door to the rear wheel opening

believe this may shed light on the confusion re the ORC's decorative role

BTW--the ORC--does a great job of collecting and holding silt between the inner surface of the ORC and the first layer of the structural rocker--then the presence of any moisture turns that silt into a mud pack--the result being an almost univeral rusted condition between the two pieces as many of us have discovered or will discover when the ORC is removed--having learned this--it makes a strong case for avoiding pouring water over the top of your Coupe or driving them in the rain once they are renewed to fine condition.

gazzol

Reaction score
chicane said:
gazzol said:

Just to clarify:

Sorry if I've repeated anyone above me.

7,8 and 9 in the above link are all structural, 7 is not normally seen due to the non structural cover. I think what may be clouding the issue here is if someone has come across a car where the non structural cover has been welded on as in the case of the first ever CS I worked on. It is on reflection an easy mistake to make if you are not familiar with these cars.

damienh

Reaction score
I've had my aluminium decorative covers off for the last few weeks, and was wondering before I put them back on, if there would be any benefit to putting a load of silicon or something in there to fill up the cavity so water can't get in ?

damienh

Reaction score
I've had my aluminium decorative covers off for the last few weeks, and was wondering before I put them back on, if there would be any benefit to putting a load of silicon or something in there to fill up the cavity so water can't get in ?

gazzol

Reaction score
damienh said:

Absolutley not!!! This is the worst thing you can do, filling cavities to try and keep water out will result in only one thing.....keeping it in once it gets in.
While you have the covers off spray in some cavity wax. i removed my covers and drilled some holes so that I could spray wax (with a special cavity sprayer) into the structural part of the sills/rockers

gazzol

Reaction score
damienh said:

Absolutley not!!! This is the worst thing you can do, filling cavities to try and keep water out will result in only one thing.....keeping it in once it gets in.
While you have the covers off spray in some cavity wax. i removed my covers and drilled some holes so that I could spray wax (with a special cavity sprayer) into the structural part of the sills/rockers

damienh

Reaction score
Yes that makes sense.

What about any debris already in there ? would you just not worry about this and spray the stuff in anyway ?

And any rust that may be lurking in cavities, I don't suppose the wax would have any rust inhibiting properties ?

Sorry for my lack of knowledge / common sense.