Rust issue, help -pic inside

duct-tape

Site Donor
Reaction score
First thing I did to start working on my project was to get the hood off. Literally second bolt I tried and the captive nut on the inside of the hood just popped away, leaving the bolt to spin in it's hole.
Any suggestions on how to remedy this? I suspect that the angle grinder is going to be the only fix
IMG_20170922_095713779.jpg

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Yessir. Angle grinder and welder were the first two things I bought after my Bavaria. I hope the rest goes better. You may end up sourcing another hood. These things have lots of nooks and crannies to hold sand and dirt and water.

duct-tape

Site Donor
Reaction score
yeah. thats pretty much what I was thinking..
I'm pretty sure I can't handle the metal work before finding another hood.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
yeah. thats pretty much what I was thinking..
I'm pretty sure I can't handle the metal work before finding another hood.

I'be had this happen on other projects, but fortunately there was an access hold to fish a bolt into the old spot.

It doesn't sound like you want to dink around with this. You need to cut off the bolt with an angle grinder. Once the hood is removed you have two options. Both involve cutting an access hole. Then you feed in a nut and capture it once again. You do that by drilling some holes in the sheet metal and adding a few rosette welds to hold the nut in place.

Alternatively you can fish a short bolt in there and add the nut on the compartment side. I would fastener down that bolt first because it is likely to fall back into the cavity during the process. If that happens you will need to treat your hood like a 5' x 5' etch-a-sketch, shaking it until the bolt falls out of your access hole.

This one is from my old Jeep:
1611412266_dcef665752_o.jpg