Sacto - '73 3.0 CS Auto Restore

bern-GEE

Reaction score
Team,

I have a '73 3.0 CS (auto) that I have "revitalized" this month as a project (I have had the car for over 8 years). The paint and rust have been addressed but the rest of my work is just beginning. I live in NorCal and would like to make this car a daily driver.

ENGINE: The original engine is all but shot and I would like to upgrade and add fuel injection in the process - so I would welcome ideas on how to go about it and what to look out for?

TRANSMISSION: If the engine is shot - the transmission is DOA. I have heard that the auto's should be trashed but I would like to keep it an auto but change out the one I have - I welcome yout thoughts there as well. I hear that with the engine and tranny shot - I might consider a new drive train.

SUNROOF: Seems to be a little off as it slides back and is rubbing against the top of the car. I consider this minor but important.

DOORS: The arm control has wornout and both doors "swing openly" and do not stay open when pushed out to open - sorta like saloon doors.

TRUNK: I would like to find the tools and the box as well as re-do the trunk interior - what do you think?

OTHER: Their are some small items like header-liner trim, sound proofing materials and installation btu I consider those to be not as big a deal.

In all - I could take it to a shop like LaJolla Independent or do it piece-mill? Expertise welcomed.

I appreciate the help and any insight - as you may notice I am not a wrench guy but I don't mind getting dirty in the search and rescue mission.

That is my story and I am sticking to it.......many thanks to all

jhjacobs

Reaction score
ENGINE: The original engine is all but shot and I would like to upgrade and add fuel injection in the process - so I would welcome ideas on how to go about it and what to look out for?
This is not a minor undertaking but possible. I would suggest looking for a donor CSi with a major rust problem. Pull and rebuild engine and tranny then stick into yours. Part out the rest. Then again, a good carb setup is not bad and you can have your engine rebuilt.

TRANSMISSION: If the engine is shot - the transmission is DOA. I have heard that the auto's should be trashed but I would like to keep it an auto but change out the one I have - I welcome yout thoughts there as well. I hear that with the engine and tranny shot - I might consider a new drive train.
I don't see the relationship between the enigne and transmission. If it is shot then you should be able to find a used one; more people tend to convert to manual I suspect someone would do a swap with you. Having a manual part car to get the transmission and linkages / interior from would help in such a transaction.

SUNROOF: Seems to be a little off as it slides back and is rubbing against the top of the car. I consider this minor but important.
Mine did this to. It will be easy to fix if you do the headliner and it is not too bad to make adjustments without; the trick is knowing how to pop the under sunroof liner out without tearing it up.

DOORS: The arm control has wornout and both doors "swing openly" and do not stay open when pushed out to open - sorta like saloon doors.
Go and buy the new style door brakes. A pair should be about $80 and well worth it. Installation is pretty easy (less than an hour). Carl should be able to hook you up.

TRUNK: I would like to find the tools and the box as well as re-do the trunk interior - what do you think?
Look on Ebay; they show up from time to time. Bring your wallet.

OTHER: Their are some small items like header-liner trim, sound proofing materials and installation btu I consider those to be not as big a deal.
The headliner is not trivial; I just did mine and it was a real PITA. Best done with windows out. The other stuff is as easy or hard as you want to go.

In all - I could take it to a shop like LaJolla Independent or do it piece-mill? Expertise welcomed
It helps to like wrenching. If your body is truly clean it is probably worth doing the engine / transmission work. Use a pro if you're not into it.

jhjacobs

Reaction score
This is not a minor undertaking but possible. I would suggest looking for a donor CSi with a major rust problem. Pull and rebuild engine and tranny then stick into yours. Part out the rest. Then again, a good carb setup is not bad and you can have your engine rebuilt.

I don't see the relationship between the enigne and transmission. If it is shot then you should be able to find a used one; more people tend to convert to manual I suspect someone would do a swap with you. Having a manual part car to get the transmission and linkages / interior from would help in such a transaction.

Mine did this to. It will be easy to fix if you do the headliner and it is not too bad to make adjustments without; the trick is knowing how to pop the under sunroof liner out without tearing it up.

Go and buy the new style door brakes. A pair should be about $80 and well worth it. Installation is pretty easy (less than an hour). Carl should be able to hook you up.

Look on Ebay; they show up from time to time. Bring your wallet.

The headliner is not trivial; I just did mine and it was a real PITA. Best done with windows out. The other stuff is as easy or hard as you want to go.

In all - I could take it to a shop like LaJolla Independent or do it piece-mill? Expertise welcomed
It helps to like wrenching. If your body is truly clean it is probably worth doing the engine / transmission work. Use a pro if you're not into it.

mlclayton

Reaction score
coupe restoration

Don't know if you'll get this, but I'm about an hour north of you and do\have done coupe restorations. Have parts available for sale, and am in the middle of doing an m6 in 1973csi swap. Post a thread if you get this, and I'll contact you.