Safety Wire for Struts

m_thompson

Reaction score
I replaced the strut cartridges today. Had to cut the safety wire off the bolts at the bottom of the struts. I put locktite on the bolts when I reassembled everything, but I would be happier with some safety wire on the bolts.

What is recommended for safety wire? Some modern stainless steel?

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I bought a spool of aircraft safety wire when I did my front struts. IF you can wait until the end of September, when I return home, I'll send you 3 feet of it at no charge. That's more than enough for the two front struts.

Gary Knox

m_thompson

Reaction score
Gary,

Thanks for the offer. I bought safety wire pliers and and assortment of safety wire on eBay. I should have a lifetime supply in a few days.

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Mike,

Ah for the days on the farm/ranch in NE, when we had scads of bailing wire in a variety of places. It, along with duct tape, can solve all life issues for something that is not supposed to move. WD-40 is rumored to solve all problems for something that is 'supposed' to move but doesn't (not my favorite, but a lot of people like it!).

Cheers,

Gary

m_thompson

Reaction score
The eBay safety wire pliers and safety wire arrived last night. Looks pretty good for $18.00. I will wire the strut bolts this weekend.

m_thompson

Reaction score
I installed the safety wire from the kit that came with the eBay safety wire pliers. The largest of the wire in the kit was a little smaller than what was originally on the strut bolts. The safety wire was easy to install and twist using the pliers.