Say what you want about triple Webers...

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
But few carb set-ups beat the look of triple SU's... ;-)

20210717_144826.jpg

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
My XK-150 and AH 100-6 each only had two, sigh.
Yes, the AH 3000 Mark 2, was the model that received the triple SU setup. So, just after the 100/6 model. This arrangement was apparently chosen so that under the Motorsport regulations at the time, a swap to triple Webers would be permissible. The 5450 buyers of the Mark 2, triple SU carbed cars, would have to learn how to tune these pretty much by themselves, as training in this area was rather lacking, in the early '60s. Those later Big Healeys with 3 Weber 45DCOEs had great Rally success, and remain a favourite upgrade, even if fuel economy suffers. Plus they look and sound so awesome! :cool:

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
My 62 e-type had only 2, if I had kept it surely by now it would have either 3 su’s or webers

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
They had so many manifold variations even within the 120/140/150/150s/3.8/4.2 series
Only the 65-67 4.2L Series 1 triple SU manifold fits an e-type. The tilt is off for all the others (carb tops will hit the bonnet) and the triple seperates on the 3.8s don't work with the later linkage. Believe me... I tried

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
My 62 e-type had only 2, if I had kept it surely by now it would have either 3 su’s or webers
Somebody took your triple SU manifolds (they were seperates until 65) probably to make a 150"S" out of a 150... Lots of that going on back in the day...

Bert Poliakoff

Site Donor
Reaction score
Drove a 64 EType roadster as a, believe it or not, dependable daily for 5 years before restoring it. Synching those SU carbs was a pleasure and only took less than 15 minutes. I later switched to Webers but could never get them leaned out. However the car went like a scalded cat. Eventually I went back to the SU's

I am kicking myself for selling it, especially when I look at pictures of it on my garage wall

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
How did you even fit in that car? I could only fit in a 2+2 automatic but could never drive it.
I didn’t. I literally looked over the windshield. It was given to my wife and I as a wedding present from her dad’s friend (I would clean and tune it when visiting), I started to restore it but when the kids arrived I was under water and sold it in pieces. Live and learn.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Somebody took your triple SU manifolds (they were seperates until 65) probably to make a 150"S" out of a 150... Lots of that going on back in the day...
In retrospect I think it did have 3. Long time ago! It only had 26k miles and had all documents including the maintenance poster. Spent most of it’s life on Longboat Key in Sarasota so had some salt issues. As a 24 year old cruising around in it I felt pretty invincible!

Bert Poliakoff

Site Donor
Reaction score
All 6 cylinder ETypes had 3. But different manifolds. on the 4.2 motors. The pre 64 were 3.8 The later 6 cylinder motors as in the XJ6 sedans and coupes had 2. Strombergs

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
All 6 cylinder ETypes had 3. But different manifolds. on the 4.2 motors. The pre 64 were 3.8 The later 6 cylinder motors as in the XJ6 sedans and coupes had 2. Strombergs
Bert - you mean all Series 1 e-types had 3 SU's. US Series 2s all had the dual stranglebergs...

Bert Poliakoff

Site Donor
Reaction score
I swapped the 3.8 out of my car to a 4.2. Both American cars and 3 carbs. I think the discrepancy is the very later year 6 cylinder cars were starting to be smog compliant I had an XJ 6 at the same time made around 72 or so and that was a 2 carb 6 cylinder The maintenance on my E was remarkably minor and not required often. The XJ6 was a bitch. Worst thing on the E was you had to pull the motor to do a clutch.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Bert - you mean all Series 1 e-types had 3 SU's. US Series 2s all had the dual stranglebergs...
Bert,
tferrer is correct. ALL USA E-types with the XK straight six went to dual carbs starting in late 1967 (MY68). But many of them have since been back-dated to triple HD8's by owners who wanted the bling and/or more performance. IIRC, ROW kept their triple HD8's until the V12 came along.

halboyles

Site Donor
Reaction score
But few carb set-ups beat the look of triple SU's
Here's a DCOE setup that will give the SU's a run for their money. We've got these M30 linkage systems available now. We also have the thermostat housing spacer that @Markos designed with all the studs and gaskets needed for installation.

Attachments

• 20210709_175954.jpg
    20210709_175954.jpg
    277.2 KB · Views: 84
  • 20210709_180258.jpg
    20210709_180258.jpg
    360.4 KB · Views: 102

Bert Poliakoff

Site Donor
Reaction score
I will go with that. Since my car was early, I never paid attention to the Strombergs. I never looked at a late E Just the series 1 & 2 with covered headlights andd the horrid XJ6
Yes.But 3 carbs on the series 1 & 2 until 68 I think Interesting side note. SU made some huge 2" sand cast carbs that guys put on 120's etc They are the holy grail

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
SU made some huge 2" sand cast carbs that guys put on 120's etc They are the holy grail
Right. E-type HD8’s (the triples) are also 2” size. HD8’s were a widely used carb and pretty cheap used. Many xk120 vintage racers use HD8’s to save 4 grand over those rare sandcast H8’s.