Schnitzer Green Monster

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
A foreword about this absolute unique CSL from Schnitzer which was way ahead of its competitors and judging from the ‘remarks’ on the Photos section of this ‘mind blowing ‘ Csl with a KF fuel injection/ race engine with street use approval in the mid 70’s, it’s apparent that there is no good info, therefore I think it’s important to translate the introduction to this Csl.

TRANSLATION from the original text as added in the pics with some engine specs.

There were only a few motorists and passers-by who were not taken aback by the sight of the Schnitzer coupe: some of them slapped their thighs with enthusiasm, while others shook only uncomprehending the head. Schnitzer's most striking contribution was the light green and yellow painted aggressive body with spoiler, aerodynamically designed fender flares and a Tear-off edge at the rear. In addition, there were ten-inch wide light-alloy rims, equipped with ultra-flat, low-profile racing rollers - "belted tires available on request" -, and a 290 hp strong one injection engine. A "road car" of superlatives and one of the most extraordinary cars that has so far completed the test program at auto motor und sport.

Many things are unusual about be Schnitzer's lightweight version - including the starting ceremony every morning
to bring to life. A second person had to operate the enrichment lever on the injection pump, later this task was taken over by a specially prepared Allen key. Had this Once the engine had passed the stage of unwilling rattles and blubbers, which was occasionally accompanied by fiery kickbacks in the intake trumpets, there was one short warm-up phase on the program. After that, it was possible to drive off, with the engine surprisingly being civilized. Once at operating temperature, he picked up from 2500 willingly started the mixture (even full throttle!) and even let one particular problem move around the city. With longer stays in traffic jams, however, the engine had to be used more frequently be switched off because there was no headwind, which is absolutely necessary for cooling. An electric fan would do a good job in such cases.

Of course, Schnitzer's pupil was only in his element on the autobahn or on the Hockenheim circuit, where he could really put his strength to use, and of course with the performance measurements. After a fantastic start to the race with very little slip on the rear wheels, the engine revved like this in the lower four gears with an infernal roar vehemently up to the limit of 7200 revs, so that the pilot hardly had a breather between the individual gear changes. What had already been suspected was confirmed by the digital. Counters of the measuring device: The Schnitzer coupé had to cover the distance from 0 - 100 km/h in a short period of 5.7 seconds, after 23.8 seconds it had reached 200 km/h, and for the standing kilometer the clocks stopped 24.9 seconds - values that do not require any comment. The disguised racing BMW reached a top speed of 243.2 km/h and was thus slightly slower than the Alpina coupé, despite the considerable increase in output. This comparison clearly shows that a large air attack surface (wide tires and fenders) in the Speed range over 200 km/h costs a lot of performance.

When dealing with the Schnitzer coupé, it took a lot of getting used to, especially the unusually long gas pedal travel, which made the drivers want a telescopic leg evoked. In addition, the racing tires made it difficult to drive fast on normal roads because they followed all the small bumps, which made the car look very nervous. Extremely cautious Riding style was also required in the wet, because despite the hand-carved intermediate profile and relatively soft 350 compound, there was always an acute risk of aquaplaning. On dry, level slopes fast cornering did not pose any problems, because Schnitzer had designed his precious gear with significant understeer, and the power reserve on the rear wheels was only sufficient in tight corners
Sweep out to drive the car in controlled drift. As far as fuel consumption is concerned, the green car was content with an average of 23.3 liters per 100 kilometers. Against it blasted the oil consumption the usual framework in a very crass form: About every 200 kilometers, liters of the Motul racing oil in the trunk had to be refilled, its special Fragrance contributed to the sporty atmosphere in the cockpit.

The differently styled BMW coupés demonstrated very clearly to what extent subsequent modifications are possible and sensible. That the Schnitzer coupe in this
Version (cost: DM 56,667) would hardly pass the hurdle of the TÜV (the test car had a special permit), and is not very suitable for road use, lies on the
Hand. The Koepchen car, which comes up with a purchase price of almost 55,000 marks, can be certified as suitable for everyday use, mainly due to the unproblematic tires will. In this respect, the more civilized versions of the GS (DM 42,760) and Alpina (DM 45,242) have a clear advantage. It can still be stated that the overall range of the four tuning companies has increased significantly
similar, comfortable versions can also be ordered from Koepchen and Schnitzer, sportier models from Alpina or GS. Subsequent performance cures must
Cars in this price range are duly rewarded everywhere. That they are carried out properly - that can be assumed from the four renowned BMW tuners.

6B582054-A65C-4DC7-8FBA-8506E59C27FB.jpeg
A26D0233-C996-4660-B21A-E3BBF8CD21FF.jpeg
41751AD8-FC52-4FF3-98D5-6DC80511A52D.jpeg

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks for putting this together. I have the article, but the only german word I know is “lenkrad”. :D

Personally, I love the green monster. I certainly wouldn’t run the body kit, but it is one of a kind. Period Schnitzer motors are amazing.

TrackRat

Reaction score
Thanks for the translation, Keshav. Lots of details in that document that were lost to me before this.

Based on the starting enrichment, and street manners described, that Schnitzer engine sounds like a pretty highly strung, big duration cam beastie- revving to 7200 with Kugelfischer injection.

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The translator unfortunately has its limitations, although 0-100 kms in 5.7 secs…..way back then, says it all. You did see the chart with a direct comparison to the other tuner CSLs of that period? Pretty awesome, not just the Schnitzer CSL. The body work is indeed 70’s ‘spaced out’ but it has the umph to carry it off. Even today, I personally haven’t see a street CSL with KF fuel injection.

IMSA-CSL

Reaction score
My ALPINA B3 is as well a terrible starter and does not like low revs...

I think all these engines were more race car engines than street engines...

TrackRat

Reaction score
IMSA, I’m curious as to which chassis your B3 is, as well as the motor and cam she’s running. Sounds like the ponies really like to run!

I believe once you get an M30/M90 cam into durations above, say 315 degrees, and Lobe centers get closer, you quickly lose vacuum signal at idle/low revs. if your running injection, it may be survivable on the street, but perhaps less than optimal. But if running carbs which rely on vacuum signal, you can have a real cantankerous beast. I’ve got a big, carbureted Mopar V8 which is streetable, but sounds about as tractable as your B3.

my M90 has a Schrick 300 degree cam, starts easily with no chokes fitted, idles at ~ 1100 RPM. It has decent street manners. High compression helps output across the full rev range, but at the expense of running 110 Sunoco.

Seeing the charts Keshav has posted leads me to conclude all these various tuners were “squeezing“ the 3L M30 pretty hard to develop the power listed.

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Many things are unusual about be Schnitzer's lightweight version - including the starting ceremony every morning
to bring to life. A second person had to operate the enrichment lever on the injection pump, later this task was taken over by a specially prepared Allen key. Had this Once the engine had passed the stage of unwilling rattles and blubbers, which was occasionally accompanied by fiery kickbacks in the intake trumpets, there was one short warm-up phase on the program. After that, it was possible to drive off, with the engine surprisingly being civilized. Once at operating temperature, he picked up from 2500 willingly started the mixture (even full throttle!) and even let one particular problem move around the city.
You got to love these automated translations....

shanon

Reaction score
Would this green one be the road going version?
Don't remember where this page is from.

I like the brake booster solution ;)

Attachments

• cslpage1 (1).JPG
    cslpage1 (1).JPG
    30.3 KB · Views: 124

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Would this green one be the road going version?
Don't remember where this page is from.

I like the brake booster solution ;)

The green car sure looks a lot like the Broadspeed version…..

EC5CDEFD-7688-4257-8215-D864E4B97814.png

shanon

Reaction score
Hey now, good catch Keshav!

"It' not easy being green..."

Haven't seen the pics of car w/o decals before. Wondering if Broadspeed borrowed a pair of Schnitzer's sneakers ;)

Happy holidays!

IMSA-CSL

Reaction score
The B3 export engine has a 300° Schleicher camshaft. Chassis is E3 not E9. ALPINA told me they made only around 50 of these export engines. No choke... but it is okay... it is no daily driver.

Gerrit

Reaction score
Here is some additional information over this AMS magazine article, gathered over time:

The CSL comparative article has to have been the largest and costliest PR enterprise that BMW ever did in cooperation with Auto Motor und Sport, Germany´s premier car magazine. The object was to boost the sales of the CSL past the 1000 unit mark before the 1973 season start.

Behind this move, of course Neerpasch but also Bob Lutz, the BMW general sales manager at this time.

A few month before the test, during an Airport track race, Neerpasch had met the main four BMW tuners of the day to define the frame of the event. Two were to provide a civilized upgraded version of the CSL, the other two something more radical. All were offered one car to tune to their specifications. Alpina and Koepchen already had a car on hand, GS and Schnitzer each got one from BMW Motorsport.

The test took place in the fall at the Hockenheim race track, on the nearby Autobahn and the city. It lasted a full week for the weather was not always appropriate. The civilized versions performed without major hitches, the Koepchen had problems with the wheels/tires so that they had to switch from 14 inch to 15 inch rims during the trial, The Schnitzer was getting hot in the city although an extra fan had been planned (see the radiator thermo-switch under the distributor cap – not connected). The tires of the Schnitzer were also questioned. Diagonal racing tires in that size have a substantial increase in rolling resistance compared to the smaller radials, a factor that was not mentioned in the article.

If anyone has more information, please add on...