Seat Belt Question -- 1972 Coupe

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I have heard that for rally and racing applications, that is the way to go.

For pleasure cruising, however, I was thinking this was an alternative to only a lap belt. There does not seem to be a good three point belt alternative for my car, unless I can find a set of 1974 belts. Even then, I am not sure the webbing will be in good shape.

So, if I cannot do a three point belt, I was thinking about these as an option.

Lotuss7

Site Donor
Reaction score
You will need to create a mounting point the upper belt straps which is approximately at your shoulder height. That will probably mean on the shelf behind the rear seats which you will then need to reinforce somewhat.

Look at the manufacturers mounting instructions.

jmackro

Reaction score
Has anyone put belts like this in a coupe?

This set-up will only work with seats that have been engineered to handle the vertical stresses this belt configuration will impose. Corbeau seats probably are designed to handle those loads; stock e9 seats are not.

I have seen people mount their belts to the floor and then hook them to the headrest posts with caribiners - not a good idea.

105-0545_IMG.JPG

Last edited:

Ski coach

Deceased
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I think most coupes were actually delivered with safety points already in place in the rear shelf close to the C columns. I just had Schroth Auto-control harnesses placed for both front using these points and it worked very well.

'69 2800cs

Reaction score
Research 4 points first...Watch-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HR_FhuSEaU8

The mounting points for three point belts are already there. Underneath the rear armrest is the shoulder mount, and on either side of the front seat are your lap belt mounts.

You can modify the rear armrest and put the retractor back there, or put the retractor on the outer lap mount. A little unusual at first but you get used to it.

I use the parcel shelf mount for my rear 3 points. My boys at 3 and 7 ride in the coupe all the time!

Ski coach

Deceased
Site Donor $
Reaction score
My car is at VSR right now with electrical gremlins. Will be able to post next week. Check out Schroth 3 point auto control. Sensitized reel mounts to safety point on rear shelf. It's very comfortable in that it provides harness safety with interior movability.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
This forum is amazing.

Those look to be exactly what I was seeking. Thanks.