Seat belts / British ? anybody try these yet ?

bossrobot

Site Donor
Reaction score

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
As i am into vehicle regulations as a profession, I can see that these are independently tested and government certified. (you can deduct that from the numbers on the orange label). So I would trust without doubt that the belts are safe for use.
For use in countries that follow United Nations vehicle regulations (about 80 countries worldwide; EU, UK, Japan, Russia, & many others) these would be OK to use without doubt.

For US and Canadian users however I'm not sure if they are OK to use. It depends largely on:
1. import restrictions on non-FMVSS approved parts. I personally shipped a container full of child car seats to the US to be crash tested in a laboratory, and they were seized by customs and destroyed....before we could destroy them ourselves on our crash test track.
2. the presence and depth of routine technical inspections (such as the yearly technical inspections in Delaware or Hawaii).

If you can get these belts imported, and if no-one ever checks the technical state of your car, then I see little practical limitations.

I am not even sure if the US supplied E9's have different belt systems compared to the EU delivered ones. (do you guys in the US also have the orange label on there? I think not)
when you are replacing or retrofitting them.

It's a regulation aspect; in the US seat belts are mandatory safety equipment since ~1967.
Vehicle manufactures supplying new cars to the US nowadays would need their belts to be FMVSS 208 approved, which these are not.
Now our cars are old, and thus different (replacement / retrofitting) rules may apply; I simply not knowledgeable on how these rules are in the US.
I'm sure the company would know.

halboyles

Site Donor
Reaction score
Don't have the car in hand right now so I wonder if their specifications seem to match the late retractable belts:

• 314cm Webbing Length
  • Buckle Stalk Length of 30cm
  • Vertically Mounted Retractor
  • Fitting Kit Included (Bolts, Washer, Brackets etc)
  • Meets Safety Standards
  • Fitted on the Left or Right
  • Dual Button Release
Does the length seem correct (~123 inches)? And would the vertically mounted retractor fit in the original location?

Dan Wood

Site Donor
Reaction score
I just ordered a set of these with 12" recepticles. I would guess they all go through similar testing.

I am working on using one from this company also. They are FMVSS approved and at least assembled in the USA. I was worried that the retractor would only work in the vertical position and was assured by the company that it will work in other position but may lock up more often. I don't have the mounting location at the top of the B pillar and was hoping the retractor would hide behind the rear seat side bolster which it won't. Now it am extending the retractor to mount on the side in front of the bolster. It won't look original but I can't stand the original seat belts.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
I was worried that the retractor would only work in the vertical position and was assured by the company that it will work in other position but may lock up more often.
Yeah, inertia lock retractors seem to be very sensitive to their orientation, but maybe these aftermarket units are more forgiving. I'm mounting mine in an E3 so it's much easier.

Dan Wood

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have installed the driver side retractable seat belt in the coupe using the original attachment bolts and locations.
I used this belt with a 6 inch metal extender which I bent to work around the rear seat bolster.
The action of the retractor is very smooth and a quick pull locks it up. I expect since it is mounted sideways that it might lock up with road bumps and it certainly easier to use than the original belts.

Attachments

• Seat Belt Bracket.jpg
    Seat Belt Bracket.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 193
  • Seat Belt.jpg
    Seat Belt.jpg
    205.8 KB · Views: 258
  • Seat Belt Shoulder.jpg
    Seat Belt Shoulder.jpg
    260.2 KB · Views: 199

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Mine came in yesterday. I'll post some photos soon but I'm really happy with the quality. The tooling looks like belts from the 90's, which would make sense if they want pre-explosive charge belts. :)

Dan Wood

Site Donor
Reaction score
Mine came in yesterday. I'll post some photos soon but I'm really happy with the quality. The tooling looks like belts from the 90's, which would make sense if they want pre-explosive charge belts. :)
Since I only bought one belt to try, I am consider changing to belts you bought except with the 18 inch cable end.

Dan Wood

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have installed the passenger side retractable seat belt. They are much easier to use than the original belts.

Attachments

• Psgr Seatbelt.jpg
    Psgr Seatbelt.jpg
    240.5 KB · Views: 189

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Yes, a majority here in the U.S. need seat belts that are rated for higher (clears throat) mass. Typically requiring longer belt lengths also. ;)

I resemble that remark!

just installed Blue Devils belts this week. Pretty nice.

every car in my shop has the top mount nut hidden under the headliner

Last edited:

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
every car in my shop has the top mount nut hidden under the headliner
Do you think my '69 E3 might have a mount under the B pillar cover? The cover is recessed in that spot but doesn't have a hole/mount. I guess I could take the cover off and look but that takes effort.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Do you think my '69 E3 might have a mount under the B pillar cover? The cover is recessed in that spot but doesn't have a hole/mount. I guess I could take the cover off and look but that takes effort.

The threaded nut is under the headliner.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Feel the force Dang...

Attachments

• 4296259B-5B96-4484-A2D3-AD9E54A4E72A.jpeg
    4296259B-5B96-4484-A2D3-AD9E54A4E72A.jpeg
    18.3 KB · Views: 174