Seat belts

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have a 72
It has terrible shoulder belts, they are a separate part, you are supposed to hang them above when not in use

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
My ‘73 CSI had lap belts only. It was built in ‘72 and had the nut for roof mounted shoulder belts. I can snap one more pic of the shoulder belt but before I box up the roof tomorrow.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Rex, see if there is a nut right in front of the grab handle, I think this was added midway through 72 production.

mr bump

Reaction score
I've looked on the forum for the seat belt buckle hangers/holders for when it's not in use, can a member direct me to the thread please?

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Seat belts seem like a mystery for such a straight forward subject.

I’m struggling to find anything even with mounting location let alone configuration.

Yes it is a mystery. Your only question was what belts “come with” a CSI. You have factory seatbelts and dealer/location installed belts. I already mentioned that my ‘73 came with lap belts only. I suspect that it had no rear belts at all. Some rear GM lap belts were added by a previous owner.

Seatbelts are all over the board, here is a sample of what I have seen:

1. Original early Klippan lap belts that latch onto a protruding chrome hoop on the trans tunnel.

2. Lap Belts using standard/recognizable stuff BMw receptacles

3. Shoulder Belts hung from the ceiling in 1973

3.5: Fixed shoulder belts mounted to the mount under the rear armrest. I have these in my ‘71 but I have seen the exact belts in other cars. I presume they are a dealer install. They are grey in color.

4. 1974+ Shoulder Belts with a reel hidden behind upper rear arm rests. Hook on the rear panel wood to hold a plastic slack-management piece

5. UK CSL shoulder belts with a reel hidden behind lower rear armrest. Upper pivot point at the base of the rear window, about halfway back.

Rex Kapriellian

Reaction score
Yes it is a mystery. Your only question was what belts “come with” a CSI. You have factory seatbelts and dealer/location installed belts. I already mentioned that my ‘73 came with lap belts only. I suspect that it had no rear belts at all. Some rear GM lap belts were added by a previous owner.

Seatbelts are all over the board, here is a sample of what I have seen:

1. Original early Klippan lap belts that latch onto a protruding chrome hoop on the trans tunnel.

2. Lap Belts using standard/recognizable stuff BMw receptacles

3. Shoulder Belts hung from the ceiling in 1973

3.5: Fixed shoulder belts mounted to the mount under the rear armrest. I have these in my ‘71 but I have seen the exact belts in other cars. I presume they are a dealer install. They are grey in color.

4. 1974+ Shoulder Belts with a reel hidden behind upper rear arm rests. Hook on the rear panel wood to hold a plastic slack-management piece

5. UK CSL shoulder belts with a reel hidden behind lower rear armrest. Upper pivot point at the base of the rear window, about halfway back.
Ok.....here’s a what I have Markos. Maybe this will help.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    230.8 KB · Views: 126

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have a 72 and the shoulder belts hang from the ceiling
They are separate from the lap belts
When you are not using them you are supposed to tuck them in a little pocket on the ceiling

Rex Kapriellian

Reaction score
Sorry, Markos
Those look like #2 to me, same as my CSI had.
ok, that’s good....

The metal stem is self explanatory. These go on the inside (at least in the all the pictures I looked at) Where does the half boomerang mount go, and where does the reel mount go? (The reel has an index pin)

And just to be clear, I’m talking about the tri mount piece, and I’m not sure if the parts are being mixed (72 and 74)

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The retractor and free end/boomerang mount to the rocker sharing the same bolt. It will be right behind the seat track, the nut is inside the rocker hidden by your carpet if installed. Looks like a 74 date on your belts, Autoflug as used in most e9.

Rex Kapriellian

Reaction score
The retractor and free end/boomerang mount to the rocker sharing the same bolt. It will be right behind the seat track, the nut is inside the rocker hidden by your carpet if installed. Looks like a 74 date on your belts, Autoflug as used in most e9.
Ok, we’re getting somewhere.

The carpet is installed, and I will fish for the the nut plate tomorrow, but I do remember looking at the area prior and not seeing provisions for an index pin.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 125

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
just info, my car, 1972, original headliner but someone painted it black, the photo is the shoulder belt storage 'pocket' on the ceiling
DSC_6971 1p2k.JPG