Seattle: 1973 3.0 CSI -$89K

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I was supposed to stop by before he text me the pics. It was $65K yesterday but he changed his price to $89K after doing more research.

I told him that the car is with $25K until he fixes the rust. After that he doubled down and posted the pics in the ad.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/d/lynnwood-73-bmw-3000csi/6793687886.html

4ECFD9D1-4CEA-4287-A6BA-0C687124C950.jpeg

FD59E4BA-26A2-47B2-BDE0-65A5B041B44A.jpeg

Last edited:

BMW Pete

Site Donor
Reaction score

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks Markos,

Looks like we have somebody locally who values rust highly, I understand this species is very unusual in car guy, he must have seen the overnight price of rust increase some 37% and therefore increased his price by $24k.

Maybe he knows something we don't or smokes something we don't :)

It takes all sorts - as they say

Pete

No doubt. The sad thing is that I passed up
an opportunity to have coffee with friends in order to
see this rust bucket. If I want to see a rusty e9 I just need to head to the garage. Fortunately my inner fenders are in much nicer shape. :D

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
You're in tune with this stuff way more than I am but imho a car with no front fender metal remaining and who knows what else rusting, ill-fitting hood (front end wreck?), no a/c, and vinyl interior is not worth 25k.

Haha No. A running d-jet engine is worth that.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
You're in tune with this stuff way more than I am but imho a car with no front fender metal remaining and who knows what else rusting, ill-fitting hood (front end wreck?), no a/c, and vinyl interior is not worth 25k.

This is all e9 academics among friends. What you and I feel it is worth isn’t necessarily what the market will pay.

I think my number on the engine was fair. I sold my short block and the d-jet parts for $1,800. Honestly, $5K for a running d-jet motor/harness/fuel pump is reasonable IMO. How often do you see them for sale, and what options does a CSI/CSL owner have
to correct their car?

The vinyl seats look fine IMO, better than 75% of
the redone seats without the proper tucks. I happen to like embossed vinyl quite a bit though. Most CSI’s don’t have AC and few had leather. The dashboard wood needs new laminate.

My biggest concern is the fender hole. This is what I text the seller as soon as he sent the pics:

“I hate to say it but you aren’t going to get anywhere near your original $65K asking price with the condition of the inner fenders. Until you address that you have a $25K car. When water goes in that hole in the shock tower, it drips down against the firewall, and causes rot near the a-pillar and firewall. Open the glove box and look inside towards the firewall.”

“I’m happy to help point you in the right direction or take a look at the rest of the rust situation. I’m not going to refer the car to anyone as it isn’t a great buy for anyone at the moment.”

“The felt on the passenger
shock tower is likely due to the shock tower hitting the hood. That happens when the inner fender begins to fail and pushes upward to the hood. It can also happen from poor hood alignment though.”

About the $25K assessment:

@teahead sold a CSI in similar condition for $30K last year (his did have AC AFAIK)

http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemDescV4&item=323206264709

This one is Baikal, one of the most lusted after shades of blue in the e9 color wheel.

I can honestly say that there are $15K worth of parts on the car not including the adjustment that I made on the motor. I guess the question is whether the whole car is worth $10k more than the sum of the parts.

The car will sit in his garage. Time will tell if it is ever
worth $89K :D

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Interesting. The exterior and interior shots make the car look good. However, with that kind of rust showing on the fenders then all the other susceptible locations elsewhere on the car will likely be well rusted. I see no photos of the floor structure or closeups of the lower side panels and doors. Hmmm.... The car appears well kept - but the rust damage started early and just kept going behind the scenes. With all the parts $25 may not be that unreasonable.