Selling my '71 E3 2800 (Bavaria) - SOLD

LarE9

Site Donor
Reaction score
I think I will need to post this in the "for sale" section, but wanted to post here first to explain the situation.

I bought a '71 2800 (Bavaria) about a year and a half ago from a guy who had it in his garage for about 20 years. (of course I had to buy it because it needed to be rescued!). I did the usual stuff to get it up and running - drain gas tank and lines, inspect fuel lines, change oil including adding some high zinc break-in oil, rebuild the brake calipers, changing all soft break lines, rebuilt carbs (it came with the original Zeniths) and so forth. The car was also an automatic, but he had included a 4 speed in the deal. As it turns out, the valve seals in the tranny I suspect, had gone bad since it would not shift into third or reverse. So as some of you may recall I was on a quest to replace it, and the quest failed. Long story short, recently got done doing the auto to 4 speed swap, it was a success. The Zeniths gave me trouble so I put on a pair of Weber 32/36s that I rebuilt (used to run them on my coupe). So the car runs good with them, but carbs need dialing in. The transmission shifts good, but the shifter needs attention, I have parts for the cup, etc. The master clutch cylinder should probably be changed, as there is a leak somewhere near where the hose attaches. Both master and slave were used (rebuilt the master), so I am not surprised. The wiring is a little hectic, but things seem to work. I don't know what the previous owner did to the car, he was not an enthusiast per se. However, I have records for the car going back to 1972. The engine was redone sometime in the 80s, have a receipt for Del's machine shop. The head is from 1980, so it is possible it could be a 3.0 (not many details on that in the receipts). It also has the original blue plates, so from what I can tell it has been in CA it's whole life. The only real rust issue I found was around the sunroof area, otherwise all the other usual suspect areas look OK. The interior is all there, although someone added black carpet, and tried to customize it. I have a bunch of extra parts with this as well.

The car was originally Polaris, but someone re-painted it midnight blue, and that paint is pretty rough. It is registered, I run errands around town with it, and it is surprisingly smooth on the road, handles well.
Also, here is what the archive sent me:
2160323 - BMW 2800 US Automatic - built March 2nd, 1971 - delivered March 26th, 1971 to Hoffman Motors in New York - colour Polaris metallic (BMW paint code 060);

I have to get back to working on my E9 engine installation and just don't have time or space for both projects. I would like to get out of this and break even or close to it. I would be happy if I could get $4K. Would anyone be interested in this? Does this price seem fair? Not out to make money of course, just don't want to lose too much of my a** on this, not to mention I put a ton of hours of my life into this car. I am in Sacramento, so if anyone in the area wants to drop by to have a look, message me.
Thanks! -Larry

Attachments

• IMG_3138.jpeg
    IMG_3138.jpeg
    333.8 KB · Views: 241
  • IMG_3129.JPEG
    IMG_3129.JPEG
    464.2 KB · Views: 228
  • IMG_3130.JPEG
    IMG_3130.JPEG
    434.1 KB · Views: 235
  • IMG_3131.JPEG
    IMG_3131.JPEG
    380.9 KB · Views: 236
  • IMG_3132.JPEG
    IMG_3132.JPEG
    429.5 KB · Views: 233
  • IMG_3059.jpeg
    IMG_3059.jpeg
    441.3 KB · Views: 227
  • IMG_3139.jpeg
    IMG_3139.jpeg
    466.4 KB · Views: 241
Last edited:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Moved to FS. I would totally jump on this if I had the (money, time, motivation, approval). :D

Larry Louton

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hello,I would be interested in this vehicle if I could see the problem with the corrosion around the sunroof. Photo would be fine. In your opinion, Would this vehicle be comfortable to drive to Venice, Florida? Given your knowledge of the vehicle. Do you have the glove box left of the steering wheel?
Thank you
Larry Louton

LarE9

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hello,I would be interested in this vehicle if I could see the problem with the corrosion around the sunroof. Photo would be fine. In your opinion, Would this vehicle be comfortable to drive to Venice, Florida? Given your knowledge of the vehicle. Do you have the glove box left of the steering wheel?
Thank you
Larry Louton
Hi Larry - I do have someone interested coming up tomorrow to look at it, and a couple others also interested. Will message you if anything changes.
In regards to the condition, as Chris stated, those things would need to be sorted prior to such a long drive. That being said, I did fix the shifter - I put a new cup/bushings, spring, and proper top C-slip. So it shifts smooth and there are no issues. The leak with the master is actually the top rubber seal where the reservoir hose goes into the master, so I was able to push that down further into the seal and it does not leak, it seems that it was simply not pushed in enough. As far as the carbs, they are balanced (air flow), and the lean idle was set the best I could get it. just need to dial in the idle situation, which I think is related to the choke/high idle cam assembly, the spring seems weak and it doesn't return properly. The jetting is close. I do not have a meter to measure the fuel/air so going by smell, etc. I might go down a size on the idle jet, etc. When the car is warm though, it runs really good! Driving to Florida for any old car can be a challenge to a certain degree. It would be more of a gamble with this particular one, but driving it around town and on the freeway, I have yet to run into an issue. The only issue on this one would be more likely electrical gremlins rather than mechanical. I will also post photo of sunroof area, plus all doors, sills, trunk, etc., pending the results of the visit tomorrow. Thanks guys! -Larry

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Would this vehicle be comfortable to drive to Venice, Florida?
Be sure to "do the math" before committing to the 3,000 mile drive. Airfare, gas, meals, motels could be pretty close to a push with having it transported. Throw in the possibility of a breakdown and you're quickly underwater. I drove my Bavaria on a 2,200 mile trip this summer. It was a great drive with no problems. Do keep in mind that although the seat was state of the art in 1972, it isn't in 2023. :(

Your trip would generate enough memories and stories for a lifetime, however. :love:

Larry Louton

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I was looking for a 1985 Jaguar XJ6 for a year and it turned out my brother who lives in a second story apartment next to a used car lot in Hollywood, California. He said the weirdest thing that the car moves most everyday but it is never washed and always returned to the back row. Lot owner said that the first owner had died without any family but would take five grand for the car with a bill a sale only. Bought the car, went to a tire store next door and put tires on the car. Showed the mechanic how to check the brake caliper pistons. Took me five days to get home and then I washed it.
Larry Louton

Attachments

• B64ABC22-2454-4EFE-A33B-84C3EC43A18A.jpeg
    B64ABC22-2454-4EFE-A33B-84C3EC43A18A.jpeg
    713.7 KB · Views: 144

ricsix

Site Donor
Reaction score
A beautiful car at an extremely fair price, I would be interested if I didn't just acquire my E3 this past summer - best of luck , it looks awesome

rblongboarder

Reaction score
Hi LarE9,

Sometime ago I restored a 1985 Euro M6, a 1988 M5 and a 1988 535is and eventually sold
them all off; I've been looking to go a bit further back in the time machine and the New Six's
caught my attention.

The photos in this article caught my attention:

Previous posts show that two potential buyers emerged with an interest in your '71 E3 2800
but I was curious if this vehicle is still for sale? (The thread doesn't seem closed.) If the car
is still for sale, could you post a shot of the sunroof area? Much appreciated.

Anyways, I thought it'd be pretty cool to restore a 1971 E3.. considering it's the year I was
born.

rblongboarder (SoCal)
jean-paul

LarE9

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi jean-paul...and others...

So I just sold it last week, had a couple brothers from the Monterey area come up, so it went to a good home. The Bavarias are underrated, I will probably regret selling it, but I am putting a new engine into my E9 and doing some other stuff to it, so I could not focus on both (time nor money). I appreciate your interest. Thanks!
Larry