short dash anodized trim

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
question for the gruppe - the short trim on the drivers side of the steering wheel. i was at M5bb's house on sunday - we were installing his rear bumper. Gary showed me the short dash trim and i noticed something different between his trim and my trim. mine has the word Lights on it ... but Gary's did not

so here's the question, which year(s) had the word. my guess would have been the '74, but didn't the '74 have a single piece trim?

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Early cars with graphic symbols didn’t have words, in the US at least I think the DoT drove the requirement to use words. My 73 says Lights on the trim piece.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
thanks Chris, the one on Gary's '72 car had no symbol or text. another one that i have seen also didn't have a symbol. now for a follow-up question. which model had the single piece trim (side to side)? was it the 2800cs or the '74?

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
thanks Chris, the one on Gary's '72 car had no symbol or text. another one that i have seen also didn't have a symbol. now for a follow-up question. which model had the single piece trim (side to side)? was it the 2800cs or the '74?

The 2800 CS has two piece trim.

This is the one piece trim from a single-owner 1974 that I drove:
933AAF34-B356-4AC5-A760-11DDD3AFCEE5.jpeg

What some people may not know is that the stainless steel strip on the top of the aluminum trim is removable. The face is aluminum, and the top is stainless steel (not polished aluminum). It slides off, and I have done so several times now. I have cleaned and sold two sets now - removing the stainless both times.

Now if you look at the picture above, I would seriously question whether the 1974 aluminum is actually one piece with a delicate aluminum strip above the column - hidden under the stainless lip. Rather, I suggest that the stainless strip is one piece but the aluminum face is still the two separate pieces that we found in all years. The implications of this is that you can use older trim to replace your scratched up 1974 trim. Just reuse the durable one-piece stainless steel strip.

C93E2667-7615-4CA4-90D1-8D54C090F848.jpeg

ACC089BB-5995-4612-9D31-1C92B284CC8B.jpeg

Last edited:

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The 74s have the one piece trim as the adjustable column left a small gap above it I believe.

Just checked the parts book, 74 has different part numbers for both the Alu trim and the stainless trim attached to it.

Wladek

Reaction score
What some people may not know is that the stainless steel strip on the top of the aluminum trim is removable.
What some people may not know is that upper strip - is just chromed steel (not SS) that like to have ugly pitting from rust if was in humid place for a long time;)

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
What some people may not know is that upper strip - is just chromed steel (not SS) that like to have ugly pitting from rust if was in humid place for a long time;)

Funny I thought it was chrome and I had chrome in my original post. It looked more like stainless sim i edited my post after looking at my pics closely.

CookeD

Reaction score
Question on the topic of this trim - Can you still get the small steel "nuts" that the pins press into?

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Question on the topic of this trim - Can you still get the small steel "nuts" that the pins press into?

The grab bar is a hard foam molded over a steel structure. I’m not certain because my grab bar is packed away, but I suspect that the steel nuts that you refer to are just slots cut into the steel structure. Perhaps @Bmachine can confirm with his loose grab bar. Are you having issue securing your trim? Make sure that your posts aren’t snapped off. Id they are, and it is the passenger side, I know someone with a spare.

205A31B3-0F30-4C71-87F6-1E01765FB795.jpeg

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The 2800 CS has two piece trim.

This is the one piece trim from a single-owner 1974 that I drove:
View attachment 56688

What some people may not know is that the stainless steel strip on the top of the aluminum trim is removable. The face is aluminum, and the top is stainless steel (not polished aluminum). It slides off, and I have done so several times now. I have cleaned and sold two sets now - removing the stainless both times.

Now if you look at the picture above, I would seriously question whether the 1974 aluminum is actually one piece with a delicate aluminum strip above the column - hidden under the stainless lip. Rather, I suggest that the stainless strip is one piece but the aluminum face is still the two separate pieces that we found in all years. The implications of this is that you can use older trim to replace your scratched up 1974 trim. Just reuse the durable one-piece stainless steel strip.

View attachment 56690

View attachment 56689
this is great news for Gary ... i had no idea that the cap could be removed.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
if anybody has a good 1 piece trim, i would be in the market as i have a '74 steering column

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
this is great news for Gary ... i had no idea that the cap could be removed.
Yes, good news.
My piece has begun to brass through. I can see the brass under the chrome. Yes, I went after it with some polish because it had a really bad stain. I thought it looked like two pieces but a little hesitant to mess with it. I may wait and there may be some other items for chrome.
My plater lost 4 chrome plated oval head screws that hold the wing/vent window and the base that mounts in the door.
I got some steel ones and he can chrome them. SS would be ok but the heads are too fat and the screw does not go down correctly.
BTW you can tape the chrome piece along the top of the dash molding talked about above and media blast the aluminum to get it to a nice matt finish. If you have writing on it then don't as it will be removed very quickly.