Show and shine fails

Mal CSL 3.0

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi,

So at a recent Bmw club ‘show and shine’ judges said my engine bay lost me points. Need to fix a few things and seeking input:

1) Re the metal throttle tube, tried various metal polishes and can’t improve it. What metal is it? Any suggestions of a product to remove tarnishing, so it looks clean?

2) My booster vac hoses look tatty. Thinking of painting them black (or grey). Has anyone done this? or any other recommendations of products to use to spruce them up? (I don’t want to replace the hoses since I think the ones I have are period correct).

3) Relay near the battery. I tried to pull it out (to repaint silver) and it won’t budge? Is there any trick to get this out?

4) Lastly anyone selling: - 2 x black bonnet stoppers - or the plastic tube (with the zinc plated O brackets) that sits on top of the valve cover that the injector wires feed through.

Any advice appreciated.

49896004-0B13-4B39-A47E-BC3EC5B5082C.jpeg

EE96EAAB-BA76-47D7-BF64-B59B0BF643D3.jpeg

5760734B-8553-41D9-8968-21C21D342D5B.jpeg

Last edited:

nosmonkey

In Rust We Trust
Site Donor
Reaction score
I'd get the throttle body vapour blasted, would make it look new and also doesnt tarnish anywhere near as quick. I've got a manifold vapour blasted 5 years back and it still looks like day 1

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
yes i would have crucifixed you for those unforgivable mistakes...just kidding !

1- throttle body blast + re-anodize (if only blast you open the pore of aluminium and it will deteriorate quickly

just reanodized my r45 exhaust nut (will post pics)

on that same pic springs look awful (to meet the standards that i get from your description obviously), blast and chrome them in matt chrome

3- relay (not a relay BTW) regulator, you can disassemble it from below, needs to remove a nut or bolt , but you can polish it easily on the spot with steel wool and your favourite paste, do not forget to add a yellow adhesive tape to give the final touch

5- ----and IMHO your car will never be considered top concourse with that distributor (from the pictures i would say not period correct) ... but do not tell the judges :)

jmackro

Reaction score
3- relay (not a relay BTW) regulator, you can disassemble it from below, needs to remove a nut or bolt , but you can polish it easily on the spot with steel wool and your favourite paste, do not forget to add a yellow adhesive tape to give the final touch

The regulator is secured to the body with two, philips-head, self tapping screws located below. Unplug the connector, and you should be able to get at the screws pretty easily. Yes, steel wool will polish it up, though zinc plating is the better solution. As dQ says, the case is secured to the body with yellow tape.

270801F.jpg

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Csi fuel filters go under the battery tray. Look and you will find the bracket for the hose clamp.. or is RHD different?
maybe just replace that regulator with new. It is bolted to the relay bracket.
Tube Brackets are still available, - I keep them in stock.
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-bmw-parts/pipe-clamp/12121350635/
You are missing the bracket for your radiator to tank hose.
Missing your cold start connector- I stock the 90 degree boots
That adjustment screw for your throttle body can be replaced with new and
adjusted to 1 1/2 threads. Idle adjustment is the big screw on lower left.
Bleed screws are available.
Maybe time for RAL7022?
Standoff bolts are available:
https://www.wallothnesch.com/en/vergaser-einspritzung/bmw-2-5-cs-3-0-csl-e9/katalogbild-13-20.html

Attachments

• 4A48853F-1823-471D-9D25-A565E121D674.jpeg
    4A48853F-1823-471D-9D25-A565E121D674.jpeg
    221.1 KB · Views: 160

coupelady

Reaction score
Beautiful work, coming from a fellow detailer. We have had great luck with a Dremel tool with the various brushes and then the buffing tools maybe with a bit of compound. It is a small enough tool that lots of things benefit from it, we wore one of the tools out during the restoration we liked it so much. I also have had great luck with very fine steel wool in various applications. These things take some time and elbow grease but to have it buff out, I think you know the feeling, it needs to be pretty and keep the judge's eye looking at other areas. Now if there is pitting when you have done all of this maybe a fine media blast might be worth it off of the car. You may find that a slight oil wipe will keep it pretty afterward without it rusting or getting mottled again (without a sealer which can turn yellow, crack with the engine bay heat over time). Try the Dremel on the springs? On the hoses, I would replace with similar or the OEM material. If that is a NLA road block try cleaning them with 6383 Kleanz-Easy a Martin Senour Paint product. Having said that I am not sure that is available where you are. It is a solvent type product, such products worry me greatly especially for the long term. It was recommended to me by a well know restorer/judge/chief judge. So far I have been using it for 4-5 years with no ill effects. I would suggest clipping off the ragged "fabric" edges. Beautiful indeed! Please keep up the great work! Thanks for sharing.

Mal CSL 3.0

Site Donor
Reaction score
Fantastic information as always, thanks everyone! This forum actually makes coupe ownership more enjoyable and achievaable, even for novices like me.

Sfdon, thanks for info re parts from Esctuning (is that your company btw?).....

Wanted to check - Does this tube have a spit along it’s length so I can just separate it slightly and push the harness wires in? (Since I don’t want to pull my wiring harness off just to feed all the wires through the tube holes)

29667CC8-5855-4F52-B212-0794D326F0A4.jpeg

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
You split the seam-

Attachments

• 3960E12B-5304-44F3-A541-9BF52FAD1B35.jpeg
    3960E12B-5304-44F3-A541-9BF52FAD1B35.jpeg
    193.5 KB · Views: 181
  • CDBE5B0D-F74D-4B50-AD10-61569E636137.jpeg
    CDBE5B0D-F74D-4B50-AD10-61569E636137.jpeg
    188.4 KB · Views: 158

aearch

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Last edited:

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
yes i would have crucifixed you for those unforgivable mistakes...just kidding !

1- throttle body blast + re-anodize (if only blast you open the pore of aluminium and it will deteriorate quickly

just reanodized my r45 exhaust nut (will post pics)

on that same pic springs look awful (to meet the standards that i get from your description obviously), blast and chrome them in matt chrome

5- ----and IMHO your car will never be considered top concourse with that distributor (from the pictures i would say not period correct) ... but do not tell the judges :)

here is aluminium fiber glass blasted (silver colour) and after anodizing in matt finish,...

3D86A153-CF70-49E0-8A70-4637055E06EF.jpeg
6E3B76AB-D8F8-496B-AEC0-0A0FE999FC3A.jpeg

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
For the ignition wire tube I bought wires from Kingsbourne, these separate easily from the insulators so you can pull them through the tube with a coathanger and not have to split the tube open.