Reaction score
yes, it is a "show us"

but there are no pics, hence its place here

how much does it cost you keeping your coupe ? calculated over a year period

here is my calculation,

for coupe keeping there is a "before" and "after",
it largely depends on what you do "before" to have a stable after

changes before,
do everything, that is, everything, engine, suspensions, electricity, carburation, ignition, internal mechanisms, brakes, steering, ... doing everything at home except engine grinding and steering alignments, and exhaust welds,

I do not have detailed account, but easy that near 20k almost all pieces

after,
I calculate that 5000 km / year, let's say 15 l / 100km
this is around 1000 e of fuel per year
insurance and trafic permission 500 e
inspection 46e triennial = 15e annual

maintenance,
brake fluid 20e annual + 10e filter
steering fluid 20e cuatrianual = 5e + 25/4 e filter 30e
annual motor oil + 10e filter
Five-year air filter 50e = 10e
cooling 36e annual
spark plugs 90e quinquenal = 18e
gear box and differential 40e cuatrianual = 10e
washers, seals, rocker cover cap, various greases, oil sprays, vaselines, rags, light bulbs, fuses ... cost per year over 20e
tyres decennial including alignment 1000e = 100e
annual total 1800e more or less, ... only parts and spare parts zero labor
important notice, if the before is not so exhaustive it does not matter, those 20k you are distributing now and then, the downside is that you do not enjoy the car with confidence

what about your cars ?

sandhu

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Car insurance £300
Mot ...£40
Full Service ...£250
Fuel ...2k
Valeting materials £200
Attending classic car events , buying tickets £200
Mileage does not exceed 3k

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
CAPEX and OPEX I guess.

Not sure about the coupe, but for all my other high mileage driving cars the money I send Saudi Arabia in the form of fuel expenses dominates everything.
Pretty easy to remember visually OPEX = OPEC.

For the coupe the CAPEX stuff comes and goes when I want to make some quantum improvement. CAPEX is not that important for a car in the positive slope part of the valuation curve.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
CAPEX and OPEX I guess.

Not sure about the coupe, but for all my other high mileage driving cars the money I send Saudi Arabia in the form of fuel expenses dominates everything.

For the coupe the CAPEX stuff comes and goes when I want to make some quantum improvement. CAPEX is not that important for a car in the positive slope part of the valuation curve.

I’m averaging about $4,500 annually in CAPEX and about $500ish in OPEX. Looking forward to flipping those numbers. I would like to switch to classic insurance but I need to park my project in the garage first.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
CAPEX and OPEX I guess.

ah CAPEX and OPEX, had to google that...,always learning some interesting acronims from my elders,...
MFIBPLTCPFM
stands for: “My Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me...."

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
I used to track my expenses to the cent for 3 years when driving the car ~5000 km/ year.

As a conclusion, I can say that slowly restoring a E9 is cheaper then driving it 5000km/year in the Netherlands: it is at least the mantra I use to defend the expenses when BMW packages are brought into the house....

- Fuel consumption was bad, roughly twice factory specs: ~750 Euro for 5000 kms /year. (fuel is taxed heavily in NL; cost is averaging roughly 1,5 euro/liter =6.7 US dollar/US gallon!)
- Normal maintenance to keep it running (oil, plugs, occasional battery, a split water hose etc) added 250 /year. (note that I never had a break down in these 15000km, so no need for unplanned or expensive fixes.
- Tax is 150/year.
So running cost, or OPEX if you like, are ~1150 euro/year.

As to CAPEX, or investments: All improvements on the condition of the car varied over the years; on average it's at 1500 Euro/year. What exactly can be done with that money is in my build thread.
"Investments" here are only parts that make it into the car.
Tools (a second hand lift , 2nd hand compressor, various power tools, 380Volt installation) and consumables (gloves, grinding discs, sanding belts) are not taken into account.

Side note: I do all the work myself, so there is no labor included anywhere.

Still, the Netherlands being a small country where private property is expensive; the garage itself was more expensive then what's inside...., even after 5 years of investments

Erik

Last edited:

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I dont keep any records of my coupe expenses lest they fall into the wrong hands. Plus i don't really want to know!
yes, i have 2 things that fall into this category - the coupe and the wine collection. no receipts of wine ever make it into the house - ever. i even paid sfdon for an engine without any paper trail.

Philippe db

Reaction score
Interesting thread DQ. Always thought of asking the question myself to see if my expenses were normal.

So here you go 1971 CS, bought in restored condition, costs "excluding" insurance, fuel and stalling:

2015 €4648 Kilometers driven 3225
2016 €1727 Kilometers driven 1675
2017 €3164 Kilometers driven 1615

Total €9539 for 6515km's. Comes down to €1,46 per kilometer without counting the normal car related expenses. I don't regret an € I spend on her but there for sure ar cheaper cars.

(cost that could have been avoided by not letting her role back inside my garage and hitting the garage door -€1148)

Last edited:

autowerks

Site Donor
Reaction score
Great topic DQ, I think a lot of the costs can be avoided if one sticks to maintenance only, but upgrading is what drives the cost up specially if one has to pay for labor as well