Show us your garage

bmw2800cs

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
We're renovating our house. The boss (my wife) has agreed to have a finished garage. Just two cars unfortunately but it would be great to see what you've all done with your garages. I've seen some nice ones in some of your posts.

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
352133B2-A6EA-4441-8A30-FEE7F7AC36EC.jpeg

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Markos, your inadequate coupe garage is perfect size for a paint booth. Put your tools and benches at the back and make a drop-down cloth/plastic curtain to separate it when you need to paint in the front half.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I did a few things with my old garage. I installed corrugated steel wainscoting to cover the foundation and cleanup the interior. Added can lights and switched ceiling outlets. Wrapped my support post in inexpensive galvanized flashing. Then I did a DIY epoxy floor. The epoxy floor turned out great but the statically charged flakes were a disaster.

I’m going to move the steel wainscoting to my e9 space.
9B86E34D-03D1-4810-B3B1-1775C8195054.jpeg

Candia4441

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I did a few things with my old garage. I installed corrugated steel wainscoting to cover the foundation and cleanup the interior. Added can lights and switched ceiling outlets. Wrapped my support post in inexpensive galvanized flashing. Then I did a DIY epoxy floor. The epoxy floor turned out great but the statically charged flakes were a disaster.

I’m going to move the steel wainscoting to my e9 space.
View attachment 145978
Hello, it is very nice hobby shop you are lucky have a place like that where I live my property have no room to make thing like you have have fun with your toys.

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
My Austin garage was a 1 1/2 car sized carport until the previous owners added a glass and aluminum garage door. The plus was it let in a huge amount of light. The minus was it let in a huge amount of heat in the summer afternoons. Being a carport, the walls are covered with Hardie board lap siding, made of concrete, so it was hard to find the studs to add shelves. On the right are the storage closets with steel doors, which I filled with chromed steel shelving to hold parts and supplies.
It had a 9-foot ceiling so a full-size lift was out and I grabbed a MaxJax when Costco had them on their website, something I haven't seen repeated since. I took out the entry level garage door opener and added a LiftMaster 8500 Elite Jackshaft Operator on the operating shaft which gave me more vertical room and was much quieter than the original one. I also added six 4' LED shop lights to brighten things up.
Overhead storage racks were a big plus in getting spare parts out of the way. The white ones are commercial, the long narrow gray one on the right I built.
The bags of concrete are left over from the installation of a large steel carport over the driveway outside the garage door to block the afternoon sun and possible hail from thunderstorms. This also shaded the AC compressor so it didn't have to work so hard to cool the house.

We've moved to Jacksonville FL now and the E9 is tucked into a two-car garage along with a Stuttgart stablemate, surrounded by the tools, parts, and equipment that don't quite fit in our slightly smaller house leaving no room for actual work.

I'm going to build a 500-square-foot third bay just for the E9 and its restoration. I'm aiming for 10' high walls with upper space open to an insulated roof to allow even more headroom. I'm having a little trouble matching the existing house siding in 10' size so we'll see if I can go that high. I'll add a split AC unit to cool & dehumidify the air as well. Again, LED lighting is the way to go. I'll bring in a sub panel with 240v for the welder and dedicated 120v outlets for the door opener, air compressor and other hi amp tools.

Garage Bay 3 500 square feet.png

2F4B0219-ED83-460A-ABEA-B5BE6311B14C.jpeg

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
My one regret with my new garage doors was going with 16’. I should have just made it 17’. You can order them in any size and the cost is incremental.

Since you have a 9’ door, you are already outside of any door they will have stocked. I would go with a 10’ so you don’t have to scoot around the nose of the e9 as much.

FYI, my doors were six months out, 2 months ago.

My Austin garage was a 1 1/2 car sized carport until the previous owners added a glass and aluminum garage door. The plus was it let in a huge amount of light. The minus was it let in a huge amount of heat in the summer afternoons. Being a carport, the walls are covered with Hardie board lap siding, made of concrete, so it was hard to find the studs to add shelves. On the right are the storage closets with steel doors, which I filled with chromed steel shelving to hold parts and supplies.
It had a 9-foot ceiling so a full-size lift was out and I grabbed a MaxJax when Costco had them on their website, something I haven't seen repeated since. I took out the entry level garage door opener and added a LiftMaster 8500 Elite Jackshaft Operator on the operating shaft which gave me more vertical room and was much quieter than the original one. I also added six 4' LED shop lights to brighten things up.
Overhead storage racks were a big plus in getting spare parts out of the way. The white ones are commercial, the long narrow gray one on the right I built.
The bags of concrete are left over from the installation of a large steel carport over the driveway outside the garage door to block the afternoon sun and possible hail from thunderstorms. This also shaded the AC compressor so it didn't have to work so hard to cool the house.

We've moved to Jacksonville FL now and the E9 is tucked into a two-car garage along with a Stuttgart stablemate, surrounded by the tools, parts, and equipment that don't quite fit in our slightly smaller house leaving no room for actual work.

I'm going to build a 500-square-foot third bay just for the E9 and its restoration. I'm aiming for 10' high walls with upper space open to an insulated roof to allow even more headroom. I'm having a little trouble matching the existing house siding in 10' size so we'll see if I can go that high. I'll add a split AC unit to cool & dehumidify the air as well. Again, LED lighting is the way to go. I'll bring in a sub panel with 240v for the welder and dedicated 120v outlets for the door opener, air compressor and other hi amp tools.

View attachment 145995

View attachment 145997

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
I spent my bout with Covid (March) in my garage across town. Had heat, food , Music. It wasn't till Doobie Brother's Listen to the music came through my headphones that I knew I was on the mends. It was a great Cave to be in.