side grill removal

Drew20

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi, newbie question I'm afraid... how do the side grills (on front wing/fender) come off?

I want to replace the black vinyl underneath the grill but not clear if it just pulls off, or if there's a fixing I need to get to.

I found this thread, which talks about small fixings, but where are they? Do I need to remove the protective piece of steel at rear of the wheel arch for access?
https://e9coupe.com/forum/threads/side-grilles.5016/#post-29891

Thanks
Drew

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Just reach behind the grilles and you can see what attachment method was used. The spring clip refuses to disengage from the plastic posts if that was used. No covers need to be removed.

Drew20

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Chris,
Could you pls expand on reaching behind the grill? The fixings are not accessible so far as I can see, as I can't reach them from inside the wheel arch, or from inside the car cabin.
At the rear of the wheel arches there is a piece of steel to stop mud etc getting lodged in between the inner and outer wings/fenders. I think these may need to come off to get the access I need. However they're coated in sealant, so it might take a bit of archaeology to do this. I'm not 100% sure this will get me into the box space I need to access however

Thanks

Philippe db

Reaction score
Hi Chris,
At the rear of the wheel arches there is a piece of steel to stop mud etc getting lodged in between the inner and outer wings/fenders.
Thanks

That indeed is your problem, this is not a standard piece and is what prevents you from reaching the grilles.

I cross my fingers that you don't find any horrors hiding behind these guards.

Drew20

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Philippe,
these are the steel pieces I am talking about, discussed in this thread:
https://e9coupe.com/forum/threads/inner-fender-covering-plate-s-questions.15938/
hadn't realised they are a two part element, but per realoem there is an upper and lower "covering plate" on each side

These are standard factory parts, so far as I am aware, looks like they need to come off then. And yes, fingers crossed for no lurking rust and plenty of waxoyl

cheers
Drew

edit:
think I've just answered my question, as in one of Steve's piccies I think I can actually see the fixings I'm looking for. Game on!

Last edited:

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Inside view

A4306552-0CDB-408E-82E3-A0151168D5FF.jpeg

Drew20

Site Donor
Reaction score
lovely, you could eat your dinner off that

pretty sure my wing is not going to be so....immaculate!

Philippe db

Reaction score
Hi Philippe,
these are the steel pieces I am talking about, discussed in this thread:
https://e9coupe.com/forum/threads/inner-fender-covering-plate-s-questions.15938/
hadn't realised they are a two part element, but per realoem there is an upper and lower "covering plate" on each side

These are standard factory parts, so far as I am aware, looks like they need to come off then. And yes, fingers crossed for no lurking rust and plenty of waxoyl

cheers
Drew

edit:
think I've just answered my question, as in one of Steve's piccies I think I can actually see the fixings I'm looking for. Game on!

Hi Drew,

These indeed are original but they won't prevent acces to the grills as you figured out yourself.

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
As discussed on another page, when you try to remove what looks like a rubber washer/disk it is in fact a rubber washer covering a piece of spring steel that has a hole in it to fit over the posts to hold the grill on. What doesn't show is that hole in the spring steel has little teeth that are one way only. You push it on and it grabs the plastic shaft of the grill and it is extremely difficult to remove with out breaking the mounting shaft of the grill.
Just warning you so you won't do what so many others have done including myself.
Good luck.

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
can you use a needle nose pliers to bend out the tabs of the spring steel?

It would be very difficult to get the pliers in the fender and get a hold of the rubber washer and the steel disk is inside the rubber washer. I did notice that if you squeeze them inward toward the body the spring steel disk will release the teeth and you can pull it off. We'll great when it pressed up tight to the fender and there is no room to bend it. I'll get a photo today and post it. It's hard to explain.
It's like BMW designed this for one way only and when you pry them off the posts break and you have to buy another.

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Here's a couple photos showing the spring steel inside the rubber washer. Note the nasty teeth it has.
Makes it a little easier to understand.

Attachments

• IMG_1438.jpg
    IMG_1438.jpg
    506.1 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_1439.jpg
    IMG_1439.jpg
    487.4 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_1440.jpg
    IMG_1440.jpg
    333.3 KB · Views: 123

Drew20

Site Donor
Reaction score
The steel springs are, for me, one time use only. if you need to remove them, cut them in half with strong pliers and buy a new one...The steel spring that is, not the grille.

+1
I got around to this job last night and I cut the steel spring washers off with side cutters, reasonably good access to do this. Looking at better options for re-attachment, there's another thread on this exact topic in the restos section.
But now I can get the black vinyl templated
Perhaps using a die to put some threads on the plastic legs, and some nylon nuts.....?

All looks clean and solid under the cover, although the cover itself is missing the rubber edging and was stuck very firmly in place with seam sealer :mad:

Took a Stanley knife and lots of judicious yanking to get it out without bending it. Based on realoem I was expecting the cover to be two piece, mine was one piece, held in by a lug and 5 screws. Guessing this is not factory

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Per W/N, the grills should be available in 2 odd weeks.... early March hopefully.

Drew20

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi, a reprise of this old thread. I've cut out vinyl decals to sit behind the side vent grills, but am wondering if they're a bit too big, as they stick out above and below the grills. Photos probably describe this better!
Is this right? I've plenty of vinyl, to redo these if need be
Ta

IMG_3870.JPG
IMG_3871.JPG

Last edited:

Honolulu

Reaction score
Who is going to know if the vinyl you cut is too big or too small? Maybe 2 people on this list... that makes 1 in several million worldwide. If you like it, let it be!

one man's opinion, anyway, and worth the price, too.