Side vent removal WITHOUT damage method please

mr bump

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm stripping my 72 CS for paint over the next few weeks. I've given myself an unlimited time frame simply because we all know a E9 can turn into a pandoras box at a flick of a ratchet.
The wing/fender vents, is there a successful method of removing them without breaking the tabs off? They seem to be held on with a one way circle clip, can a member advise me on how they are removed?
Thank you in advance.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Perhaps use a Dremel and cut the flat metal clip if that is what you have. It is almost impossible to remove without breaking the pins off.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
If you have black vents, I say, just bust them off and replace them w/some nice repro chrome ones.

Chrome is the only way to go IMHO (along w/the hood vents).

Wladek

Reaction score
If you have black vents, I say, just bust them off and replace them w/some nice repro chrome ones.

Chrome is the only way to go IMHO (along w/the hood vents).
Robert, what if he have csl 5-slat black kidney grill?
They seem to be held on with a one way circle clip, can a member advise me on how they are removed?
If you have thin metal clips try to grab them gently with pliers & try to sort of unbolt them counter-clockwise.
If you have rubber/plastic clips as on photo - clean the pins first then put some wd-40, then grab them with pliers & try to move with rocking motion. Little heat gun treatment on these old rubber/plastic clips is also not bed idea, just not too much.
51131400012.jpg

Last edited:

Henrik

Reaction score
Don't worry if you break them. The vents can be easily attached to the fender with double-sided foam tape. Much better than drilled holes in the body that are potensial rust traps.

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
What you possibly have holding the grilles in place are metal things called speed clips. They bite into the plastic and hold 'em thight. Nice things if you never have to remove anything. If you do need to get them off it's 5 minutes for each of them....
1670838843299.png

I would personally opt for the route that HB Chris pointed out; gently destroy the clips; a dremel will do just fine & quick if you can fit it in there.
Most of the times the metal clips will snap in half when you put a side (wire) cutter on to them, but that does require you to wiggle them a bit up (towards the end of the plastic stem) to be able to get one half of the cutter's beak under them - A dremel is faster as you can just start without the wiggling work.

I know of one other neat trick, although it does take a while: The starlocks have teeth that grip into the plastic stem.
it you pry a small screwdriver in the hole between respective 2 teeth, and lever the screwdriver up, then you can force one corner of the tooth up, and the corner of the adjacent tooth down. If you do this in all 6 holes, you've essentially created a thread, and it will now gradually spin off when you grip it with pliers and rotate it. Benefit is that you can reuse that starlock now over and over. I also use this trick BEFORE installing a starlock; it will allow them to be unscrewed easier, if ever needed. On some of the alu trim parts i've actually resorted to just cutting an M4, M5 or M6 thread on them e.g. the rear trunklid badge and the alu trim on the center console around the window switches.

Last edited: