Siena gets insulated

pamp

Reaction score
This ended up as a DIY deal. Kind of proud of how it turned out. Saved $$ needed after the wheel show... Dynaliner material for the bonnet.
Made my own templates
100_1426.jpg

The result...
100_1425.jpg

The wife asked "have you been keeping track of the hours you have wrenched on this car?" Rats...just look at the major stack of beer bottles in the back ground...

Last edited:

Stefan

Reaction score
This ended up as a DIY deal. Kind of proud of how it turned out. Saved $$ needed after the wheel show... Dynaliner material for the bonnet.
Made my own templates

The wife asked "have you been keeping track of the hours you have wrenched on this car?" Rats...just look at the major stack of beer bottles in the back ground...

Great job Pamp!

I was planning to do the same.
Almost certainly better sound insulation than the original material.

I'm sure you have tested this, but do you manage without cut-out for fan blades?

Yes, it's a sideeffect with working in the garage - stacking boxes with empty bottles :)

johnrob

Reaction score
The pictures on the Dynaliner site have their namebrand all over the product yet the picture you posted seems to be devoid of any logos etc. What did you do?

pamp

Reaction score
Insulation

Well,
Since the insulation was in such poor condition when I bought the car over 4 years ago,
I removed all of it immediately. Don't remember a cut out for the fan, but nothing hits with the hood closed and engine running. Been raining here so I have not test driven it yet. Will do so today.
To hide the logo was a suggestion by m_thomson when I first inquired as to availability of OEM materials (search "fire wall") ...vinyl bumper coat paint. I used "Honda Black" and first tested this when I fabricated insulation for the upper fire wall using 1/2'' Dynaliner. Ran the car pretty hard and left the hood closed during cool down and no ill effects to the paint or the insulation. I will post later today if I find any problems after the test drive as to the bonnet using these materials.
To make the templates, I used heavy mil plastic and stuck it in place with black window caulk, a tar like substance that comes in a roll and quite handy for doing this kind of thing.Then trace your outline with a ball point pen, it nearly cuts through the plastic. Cut out the plastic shape and then glue to card board with a light coat of 3M super 77 adhesive. Cut out the cardboard to shape, test fit and fine tune then transfer to the Dynaliner material. This is a self-taught method but works for me! I used a straight edge and utility knife for the straight lines and cut the arcs by hand with a decent pair of scissors. Cleaned and prep'ed removing any loose material. Wipe surfaces first with paint thinner then again with alcohol...stove fuel at 99 percent. Job took 3 hours total for the work and 10 hours of contemplation...

Last edited:

pamp

Reaction score
Test drive

Up to speed and heated up quite well. Left the bonnet closed for cool down, no issues.
Again... 1/4'' material. I can see that there maybe possible issues with the fan blades if one would choose to go with 1/2'' material. Overkill in my opinion...