silver 2000cs on BaT

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
this is a reasonably nice looking silver '67 ... well not @zinz nice ... but looks good on the top surface ... have not done a deep dive into all of the pix

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I absolutely love the patina on the shifter knob. It must have an amazing tactile feel to it - wouldn't change that for anything. And true or not, I would craft a rich story about how that knob has been on the shifter for the past 52 years. :cool:
1967_bmw_2000cs_1589910917691fdcb69b3fc29002DSC05193.jpg

vince

Site Donor
Reaction score
Very surprised to see that it has a power sunroof. I didn't think that was even a thing until around 1972 or 73.

zinz

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
A friend sent this to me tonight. I haven’t scoured all the pictures but it seems to be a nice survivor. Gonna need all the mechanical stuff gone through, but it sure looks straight.

I bet it goes kinda cheap

E911

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
@vince; I had, what I thought was, a power sunroof clip for an E9 once... it turned out to be from a 2000CS so I sold it off. I too thought the were all crank roofs back then.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
that's a good question Rex, but its at 16.5k w/ 1.75 days to go ... so i'm hoping it at least doubles, or even goes higher. the sahara 2800cs is already north of 25k with 3 days to go. both should climb nicely

zinz

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I finally looked over all the photos. There is a lot to like, and a lot that remains to be finished on this car. Engine, transmission, and diff leak all over. Not a great look. The crusty rust on the diff is not a good indicator as to the rest of the car (that is now covered in fresh paint). Pictures before paint would be best, but I doubt the seller has them, or will post them. When was is painted? if 10 years ago... any rust would have resurfaced by now. Idon't see any bubbles...

Ad says "seller notes grinding in 1st gear when starting from a stop" Crunching transmission.... First gear in these old Getrag 4 speeds are not synchronized... perhaps that's what they are having an issue with? The original 4 speed in my 2000CS was like that. Jack Fahuna in LA explained to me what was going on. From then on, I simply slipped it into 3rd gear as I rolled to a stop, then into 1st. That kept it from crunching. Anything further could be something simple as changing fluid and bleeding and adjusting the clutch slave? A replacement 4 speed would be easy to locate, dropping in a 5 speed is also a simple affair.

Interior? I'm not sure you could ask for better in an original car. The dash is almost perfect.

Engine bay looks unmolested with what appears to be a new fuel pump and new fuel line from pump to carbs...except, NO CLAMPS on the fuel lines of the high pressure side and a plastic T fitting... that's crap. (as Chris pointed out... the fuel line from firewall to pump is original and SHOULD have been replaced with the pump) That kinda shoddy workmanship will be tell-tale to any other work that has been done on the car.

Small stuff: Fuse box cover is in good shape... that piece is unobtanium. The VW fuse cover will "fit" but the numbers are backwards.
It needs a thorough degreasing underneath and all the mechanical stuff gone through. It needs an exhaust hanger from the back of the transmission. I'd like to see some compression #s on the engine.

It looks like a good driver and may give you many years of enjoyment. My guess is it stays under $25K because of the unknown rust issues and the general greasiness of the undercarriage. (seriously... 1/2 day of pressure washing and a quick wire brush to the crusty bits would have gone a long way to getting a higher bid). Perhaps they are being honest about the condition? Who really knows, but we'll find out tomorrow.

Ed Z

zinz

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Wow... I didn't zoom in that closely, Chris.

Yea... all rubber bits, hoses, belts, brake lines, and tires need to be replaced ASAP. Carbs may need a refresh of seals.

These are simple things that a smart bidder needs to factor into establishing his high bid. You'd drop $1000 pretty quickly on brakes, hoses, belts, Guibo, etc...

Ed

zinz

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Seller just added a bunch of underside pictures and a video

I only see a small area of crusty body panel in picture 118. The rest looks pretty solid to my eyes.

Could be a good one. Buy it Rex :)

Ed Z

Last edited:

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
glad to see that the value got up a bit ... didn't quite double but with a little bit of work it could be a much more valuable coupe. hopefully the new buyer shows up here and takes advantage of the knowledge herein - and pays attention to all of the work that our friend Ed @zinz has done on his pretty coupe.

zinz

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I agree, this was well-bought. Hopefully the new owner will join this forum!

I guessed it would stay under $25K... that's pretty close.

Ed

zinz

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
and pays attention to all of the work that our friend Ed @zinz has done on his pretty coupe.

Many thanks, Scott. I poured over all the new pictures the seller posted. I think this car was well-bought and with a little mechanical work, will be a very nice car. The dash and door panels are very good. The dash vinyl looked to be perfect and that can not be duplicated. The wood was plenty good from what I could see.

Good luck to the new owner!

Ed