Six BMW Art cars raced at Le Mans,

starcruiser

Reaction score
Here is an article from Classic Driver. BMW entered an art car, by Julie Mehretu this year at LeMans, but it not finish.

There is a story about the painting of one of the Art Cars. Someone here knows which one. If the story is true. When the artist was finishing up he offered to paint the personal BMW of one of the BMW executives present. He declined! Imagine how unique and valuable his daily driver would have been. True????

There is a story about the painting of one of the Art Cars. Someone here knows which one. If the story is true. When the artist was finishing up he offered to paint the personal BMW of one of the BMW executives present. He declined! Imagine how unique and valuable his daily driver would have been. True????
Hi Steve

It was the Warhol car and Walter Maurer who painted most of the other art cars. He also has repaired all that have been damaged including the Warhol car.

The story goes it was Walters street M1 sitting there and yes, when Warhol made the offer Walter refused it :)

Also, a little known fact, Warhol was supposed to have painted an E21 race car, in fact he actually did the model, but BMW hated it, so they had him do the M1

Last edited:
Also, a little known fact, Warhol was supposed to have painted an E21 race car, in fact he actually did the model, but BMW hated it, so they had him do the M1
This could be related to something a BMW Classic gentleman told lately: the M1, as it is today, was Warhol's third attempt to create an Art Car. Both former designs were rejected, one had sunflowers painted all over the car including windows and lights. Then BMW people mentioned the car was meant to be driven so no paint on the glass parts. According to the BMW official, Warhol was completely annoyed and tried to get out as fast as he could. So he took slabs of paint and threw them at and on the M1 finishing the project in, they say, roughly twenty minutes.

Great story, huh? I'd be more than happy if someone (@BMW Pete ?) could confirm or correct this.

Hi @Christoph

Great to see you back my friend.

I only knew of the two he did. I have never heard about a third car myself.

The Gp 5 E21 was the one he painted all over the car with a roller, including the flowers were with a roller, so 100% that part of the story is correct. I also understood he was annoyed and therefore rushed the M1, so again it ties in with what you have heard.

Bad picture below, I actually have a clearer one at my warehouse, which I will add in the next few days, but at least you can see the model he did that was rejected.

1718676365953.jpeg

Hi @Christoph

Great to see you back my friend.

I only knew of the two he did. I have never heard about a third car myself.

The Gp 5 E21 was the one he painted all over the car with a roller, including the flowers were with a roller, so 100% that part of the story is correct. I also understood he was annoyed and therefore rushed the M1, so again it ties in with what you have heard.

Bad picture below, I actually have a clearer one at my warehouse, which I will add in the next few days, but at least you can see the model he did that was rejected.

View attachment 184740

Ok, so who is up to build a replica of this? Bet BMW would love to own one (if existed now).

Taken from the Warhol Catalogue Raisonné:

Invited to participate in the project in April 1978, Warhol initially prepared five maquettes supplied by BMW. He spray-painted them black, covering both the front and rear windscreens, and rolled a pink floral design over them.

When Andy confided to his diaries that he hoped that BMW would “read meaning into” his black BMW “with pink roll-on flowers,” he was recognizing the subversive character of the floral design and its pink colour, the anti-machismo of his design for a race car.

There was, however, an obvious problem of functionality with Warhol’s maquettes: its ‘blackout’ windows would make the car impossible to drive. Instead of rejecting the maquettes outright, Poulain diplomatically proposed that Warhol paint a new model under development, the M1.

Warhol travelled to Germany in May 1979 and painted the car, assisted by his printer Rupert Jasen Smith, on May 17 in the paint shop of Walter Maurer in Hebertshausen, north of Munich. Maurer supplied the water-based dispersion paints Warhol used, selecting the colors according to a maquette that Warhol had previously painted in New York.

“I attempted to show speed as a visual image. When an automobile is really traveling fast, all the lines and colors are transformed into a blur,” Warhol said in explanation of his work.

Warhol exemplified this speed in his execution of the work. According to Maurer, it took the artist “around twenty-eight minutes” to paint the car, while a video crew filmed him. Warhol painted two additional spoilers in case the original was damaged during a race. After the car was painted, Maurer coated it with several layers of transparent sealer that took two days to dry. The completed car was displayed at the BMW headquarters in Munich on May 22, 1979, and driven in the endurance race, 24 Heures du Mans, the following month (June 9–10).

Warhol’s speed in painting the car was matched by its performance. The mid-engined car finished a creditable sixth place finish and second overall in its category, though Warhol did not attend the race to see such visual poetry in motion.

However, the Catalogue Raisonné reveals that while in Germany Warhol attended the opening of Indians, Porträts, Torsos, at Galerie Denise René Hans Mayer, Dusseldorf. And he also met Joseph Beuys on May 18 and visited Wieskirche, Linderhof Palace, and Neuschwanstein in Bavaria, the following day.

Speaking of Warhol, he was a Pittsburgh boy who went to the Carnegie Institute of Technology. The Warhol Museum is a seven story building, a former printing press building? located on Pittsburgh's North Side. Now known as the toney North Shore.

The museum is the largest single artist museum in North America and one of the largest in the world.

Now if you are like me you thought, okay, one horse wonder. Campbell's Soup Can, Marilyn Monroe, The Factory, Edie Sedgwick, eight hour and five minute movie of the Empire State Building. What's all the fus? Well, wrong! We left believing Andy was one of the true geniuses of the 20th Century.

I'm dying to know what the other model cars were? All five seem to be black with the floral pattern @BMW Pete showed on the E21. Perhaps one was for the M1, but they went with the later iteration that we all know/love. Guess they would likely be of the 'sportier' models from 1978, if you follow Warhols' logic of flowering up a race car, which I'm taking as a reference to factory race teams/cars.
So what models were BMW racing in 1978 other than M1, E21?

@Wes and @Christoph and others, here as promised better pictures of the E21 Warhol originally did for BMW. Apprantl;y the flowers were what he thought would be the absolute opposite of the masculinity of car racing.

Yes the temptation to create it is strong and I do have a bit of a bastard E21 with all the Schnitzer Turbo components added ........could be interesting or really really stupid :) yes, I would leave the front windows clear

1718980402843.jpeg

1718980376327.jpeg

1718980436736.jpeg

1718980460073.jpeg

1718980480933.jpeg

1718980502288.jpeg

Last edited:
@Wes and @Christoph and others, here as promised better pictures of the E21 Warhol originally did for BMW. Apprantl;y the flowers were what he thought would be the absolute opposite of the masculinity of car racing.

Yes the temptation to create it is strong and I do have a bit of a bastard E21 with all the Schnitzer Turbo components added ........could be interesting or really really stupid :) yes, I would leave the front windows clear

View attachment 184915

View attachment 184914

View attachment 184916

View attachment 184917

View attachment 184918

View attachment 184919
Do it :)

We left believing Andy was one of the true geniuses of the 20th Century.
Agree completely. One thing extraordinary, he tried to get people to work or think, not just consume art. @Wes cites a great example for that: "he hoped that BMW would “read meaning into” his black BMW".
Some years ago Mercedes lent their Warhol paintings to a museum in the Nuremberg area. Some friends and I were there. The paintings were much brighter and deeper than expected, Warhol must have been a good craftsman, too. Now I cannot buy a reprint anymore because they all seem flat and pale.

Back