Soft clutch

ElRey

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have recently replaced the clutch master and slave (on my 74 E9) and have been noticing a weird problem. After depressing the clutch pedal half way the resistance almost completely disappears. The pedal is very soft and is hard to balance. The clutch is almost completely disengaged when the pedal is half way down, and if I am careful, I change gears then. The new style return spring is flexing, but I can't tell (and don't know) if it is pulling or pushing the pedal.
Any ideas?
Thanks,
Kingman

Honolulu

Reaction score
Reminds me of a problem with the clutch on my '95 E36 'vert (now gone). The clutch release bearing is guided by/rides on a steel cylinder. Mine was stuck past midway. Could NOT figure out why the clutch felt that way, bled it all, replaced the master and slave (master needed it, that's what lured me in to start), used language, etc... finally local indie pulled the trans., then it was obvious.

ElRey

Site Donor
Reaction score
Never mind. . .
In the time honored tradition of ignoring a problem until it goes away, my soft clutch has fixed itself. Perhaps it self-bled an air bubble or one of you cats snuck in my garage and fixed it.
-Kingman