SOLD 3.0 CSL RHD City Pack Project in UK

steviemillar

Reaction score
Would anyone be interested in taking on my 1972 3.0 CSL RHD City Pack Chassis 2285212?

Fjord Blue with blue vinyl roof and black interior. I am the fourth owner of this car, the third owner had it from 1979 - 2013 and its been with me since then.

In the interests of full disclosure, I am going to highlight good and bad points, I hope the content of the list gives an insight into the car’s history and current condition.

The car does not have its original block as a new engine and gearbox were fitted by a BMW Agent in 1978, a receipt for this work is in with the paperwork I have. The change was made with the car at 95000 miles, odometer now reads 107000 miles.

An electric sunroof was installed at some point in the car’s early history. I do not have any paperwork to state when fitment actually took place however seems likely to have been carried out when the car was new. The third owner reckoned Dover Concessionaires fitted the sunroof as noted in an article he wrote for the BMW Car Club magazine in the 80s or 90s. At the very least, it was prior to 1979. I have not tried to operate the sunroof however it seems water-tight.

The aluminium panels are all still fitted and are in decent condition. There are small bubbles at the front corners of each door and the drivers door has some small dings and dents below the swage line. The paint has reacted on the bootlid and tops of rear wings.

New wings were fitted in 1990 and are in good shape requiring local repairs only.

Rear arches have been repaired in the past, there is cracked filler on the lower quarter ahead of the offside wheel and the nearside rear wheel arch has been repaired. Both lower rear quarters are solid, the nearside having been replaced.

Floorpans are really good with localised repairs beside the throttle pedal mount and the corresponding area on the passenger side. The passenger repair has not been finished off very well underneath and would need tidied up.

Inside the trunk, the shock towers are solid with the areas around the spare wheel well and fuel tank mounting in very good condition. There is some surface rust around the jack storage area due to perished seals allowing limited water ingress and the spare wheel well has been repaired.

Inside, the interior is generally in good useable condition. The original Scheel seats are in decent order although the drivers seat will need the seat base padding reshaped. No headrests came with the car. Rear seat looks almost unused although there is one slight tear in the passenger side cloth seat base. Door cards are whole and look good although the two front cards are slightly warped and the drivers door pull handle has sprung. Leather trimmed steering wheel is in great condition.

Black headlining has no tears or cuts (apart from the dirty great big sunroof hole of course….)

The lacquer is lifting on the wood trim however most of the sections are in good condition.

The chrome and mouldings are mostly in good condition with the exception of the offside rear bumper as it is holed at the quarter mounting and seems to have accrued a dent beside the number plate light. The nearside section is good but would maybe need rechromed to be perfect

Windscreen has a scratch inflicted from the drivers wiper I would say

I have not tried to lower any of the side windows. Consider them as not working.

There are five alloy wheels, most likely the original fitment items. The four on the car were refurbished with the black centres before i bought the car however the tyres are old and cracked. I had the fifth wheel refurbished in solid silver and a new tyre fitted, this is not pictured but is included.

The car starts on the button however it does run rich. Clutch operates and selects gear cleanly, clutch pedal has some deadband at the top of the travel and bites low down. Brakes are sticky in particular the front callipers. Handbrake holds the car. The exhaust back box is blown so requires replacement.

I have taken several photos of the car to illustrate the points above and added them to my Flickr account here

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmjqoAMo

I have missed a photo please let me know and I will add to the album.

I had great intentions with this car and I entrusted it to a renowned restorer friend whose attempts at repairing the nearside arch, lower quarter, front floor pans and spare wheel well are not to a very high standard in my opinion and I would be re-doing these areas if keeping the car. To be fair, the remit was to get the car structurally good enough to be roadworthy and I reckon its there.

As regards price, the engine and sunroof points above will affect its value and this car is maybe not for everyone. I have antagonised too long over its value so I’ll start at £55K and I will entertain all or any offers close to that. If you like the car and reckon the price is wrong then bid me…

I will help as far as I can with accommodating viewings by prospective buyers or their delegates, do walk arounds, take as many additional photos as requested and with a little notice, I could most likely get access to a lift to put the car up in the air if required.

IMG_0407.jpg

IMG_0412.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0413.jpg
    IMG_0413.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_0429.jpg
    IMG_0429.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 196
  • IMG_0434.jpg
    IMG_0434.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_0323.jpg
    IMG_0323.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 174

m73

Reaction score
This is my .02 cents & pure speculation as I don't restore or know of the market values exactly.....but......

If this needs a full-resto then at possible 50-60k & it could mean total price of 12ok with net worth of 150k (so 25% margin from a business angle which seems fair)

Although cars should be bought with the heart -- but with the head the numbers have to make sense.

-Mo