Solid center console

Reaction score
At one point during it’s life, my car was equipped with a radio as the antenna would indicate. However, the center console panel is a solid wrinkle textured plate without a radio cut out. Oddly, I’ve googled and haven’t found any solid panel images. Was ”no radio” an option? Can anybody recommend where I may purchase a panel with the radio cut out? Thx in advance for any leads.

Attachments

• 058AA557-DF81-450A-B993-5867F634B2F7.jpeg
    058AA557-DF81-450A-B993-5867F634B2F7.jpeg
    252.3 KB · Views: 210

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
At one point during it’s life, my car was equipped with a radio as the antenna would indicate. However, the center console panel is a solid wrinkle textured plate without a radio cut out. Oddly, I’ve googled and haven’t found any solid panel images. Was ”no radio” an option? Can anybody recommend where I may purchase a panel with the radio cut out? Thx in advance for any leads.

Hi @blessedeighty8,

You actually have an e3 AC face plate in your car, modified with a closed opening. That is why the fitment is poor. There was a “no radio” option. I just posted pics of the face plate as seen in the blue books. The pictures aren’t great but as you can see it appears to have a cover panel.

You have a few options:

1. Modify your existing face plate for a radio cutout. You will likely need to move your plate upwards, as the radio opening is way too low. If you go this route I have the template for a becker opening. I know that @aearch modified an e3 plate.

2. Find a used e9 face plate. Several e9 members have one, but they aren’t listed. Try posting a WTB ad. A used one in good shape goes for $400 - $600. You may also find one that has been gouged for a DIN radio, for $100 - $250. You can either fix it or if the opening is small enough, use a decorative Blaupunkt cover plate: @Enoz sells a lot of radios on the forum.

3. I sell 3D printed versions for $225 shipped and painted. They are made from plastic and not nearly as heavy dufy as the original cast aluminum ones, but they look the part and get the job done. Also @m73 sells the AC decals. I also have a prototype that I can sell for about $25. It was the first draft so fitment is “meh”, but likely better than your e3 plate.

0E1B2111-62AC-4B58-8D67-AFF9A260698F.jpeg
46E06C7C-A630-4306-A9A1-4432FB66E979.jpeg
9EF5D338-4A25-4892-8418-DE905994885E.jpeg

I am working on an aluminum repair plate. I need to make it bigger as seen below. This *is the blaupunkt template if you do want to cut out the opening on your e3 face plate.

992E47BC-58AC-467A-850C-8B04F5AA93F6.jpeg

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
...was that a reference to leaving your coupe out in the rain, all the sweet green icing running down?
Sorry for the interruption, blessed88...If interest in below, drop me a PM

Attachments

• e9 aircon faceplate.JPG
    e9 aircon faceplate.JPG
    80 KB · Views: 153
Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi @blessedeighty8,

You actually have an e3 AC face plate in your car, modified with a closed opening. That is why the fitment is poor. There was a “no radio” option. I just posted pics of the face plate as seen in the blue books. The pictures aren’t great but as you can see it appears to have a cover panel.

You have a few options:

1. Modify your existing face plate for a radio cutout. You will likely need to move your plate upwards, as the radio opening is way too low. If you go this route I have the template for a becker opening. I know that @aearch modified an e3 plate.

2. Find a used e9 face plate. Several e9 members have one, but they aren’t listed. Try posting a WTB ad. A used one in good shape goes for $400 - $600. You may also find one that has been gouged for a DIN radio, for $100 - $250. You can either fix it or if the opening is small enough, use a decorative Blaupunkt cover plate: @Enoz sells a lot of radios on the forum.

3. I sell 3D printed versions for $225 shipped and painted. They are made from plastic and not nearly as heavy dufy as the original cast aluminum ones, but they look the part and get the job done. Also @m73 sells the AC decals. I also have a prototype that I can sell for about $25. It was the first draft so fitment is “meh”, but likely better than your e3 plate.

View attachment 88234View attachment 88235View attachment 88237

I am working on an aluminum repair plate. I need to make it bigger as seen below. This *is the blaupunkt template if you do want to cut out the opening on your e3 face plate.

View attachment 88236
Evening Markos,

thank you for such a comprehensive and educational response with references to potential solutions...very much appreciated! I will take up your advice and explore the WTB thread.

LNGBRD

Reaction score
Does Koogleworks sell (or make) these for E9's. I know they make the entire console for 02's. Worth a check on the web.