Some comments about my BaT sale

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Since BaT has come up in a few posts recently, and I just completed a sale there, I thought my experience might be of interest. I've sold two cars on BaT in the last 3 years, Lorelei being the latest. For some strange reason, my decision to sell has come up a few weeks before an extended trip, which has complicated the process somewhat. I'll only reflect on the Lorelei listing here, and hope my experience might benefit someone on this Forum.

BaT seems to have become a very successful business model. There were 50 cars that sold the day Lorelei sold. It seems to me that maybe their business growth has exceeded their capability to fully manage this many processes. I contacted BaT in early August indicating I wanted to list my '74 BMW 3.0 CS on their auction. They asked for pix, so I sent about a dozen. A few days later, they said yes, and asked about a reserve. I gave them a figure and they suggested a lower one (they really want it to sell for their 5% commission from the buyer). We agreed on a compromise, and I indicated I'd be away from 8/22 until 9/22, and again from 9/27 to 9/29. Therefore I needed a narrow window for the auction to start so I could contribute. After emails discussing the start date, they agreed to a a listing date of 9/19 (ending 9/26), and said it would be put on the calendar for that date.

On 9/19, there was no listing. I emailed them that evening regarding the lack of a listing, and about 2 days later they responded - saying I'd made it difficult because of my schedule, but no apology for their lack of attention to the commitment. I reminded them it could not end on 9/27 through 9/30, as I was going to be away again. Finally, they actually listed it on 9/24, and it therefore ended on 10/2.

I thought that once the listing got underway, it went pretty smoothly. I sent a few more pictures after about 3 days, and they were posted on the listing within 24 hours. A couple of comments were made in the 4th/5th days, and I sent 3 more pictures for posting on 9/30 that I thought would address those comments. (This late in the auction, the submission process was more complicated). Those pix were never posted. In the end, the final bid exceeded the agreed upon reserve and the car sold for a price I was comfortable with.

So, if I were doing it again - I would REMIND BaT personnel of the agreed upon start date at least a week before, and again 4 days before the start date. I'd also be sure to have and be able to use a method they confirmed would allow prompt posting of any new pictures late in the auction.

Gary

Last edited:

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Ya, they're getting flooded with cars to sell.

I tried to sell my E320 coupe on there (very rare, 2+ condition) and they wouldn't list it. They gave no reason. Had a very low reserve.

Then 2 months later, I submitted again, but this time with no reserve. They accepted it, but by the time they would list it, was sold elsewhere.

Of course, a 2+ E9, they wouldn't hesitate, but as aforementioned, they hate submitting anything with what they deem as a high reserve.

Certain cars do well on the site: E9s, low mileage anything, Supras. Others not so much like US musclecars, trucks.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
thanks Gary for the thoughts / comments ... this will help many people. i have recently been receiving emails from Hemmings on an auction platform they have started to compete with BaT. will be curious to see how this plays out.