Some Tips -

lip277

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hey folks -
I've been playing catch-up in many things recently and the Coupe is one of them.
Some of you may recall I purchased my car last fall from Tony (Velocewest). So far, the car has been wonderful. Not perfect but - More than I could have hoped for.

I have some things I wish to pass along that I've found out since I have had the car.

• Front Turn Signals
    The car came with a busted lens for one of the front turn signals. Tony was 'looking at e-bay' for a replacement thinking the European lens' the car had were not available here -
    A little sleuthing on realoem.com and (with part number in hand) a call to my dealer - and a new lens. ~$115 if I recall correctly. I talked them down from 'list' - and much more than the CCA membership would have gotten me.
  • Speaking of turn signals.... Lens Gasket-
    That same turn signal's installation was missing the gasket between the housing and the lens. This was letting water into the reflector area when I washed the car. But more importantly - it was causing stress on the lens as the lens didn't want to sit into the housing (without the gasket to take some space) as far as the two screws would try to pull it in....
    Short of ordering the entire assembly (for a premium $$) - I thought ..... "Why not use a large diameter O-ring?"
    I did some math and found a size that works... I got a set of them from Grainger but found them a 'little' too small (They'd work - but I wanted better)
    So - I ordered a bit bigger.... ok... Too big and I had to cut them down but .... :) The diameter of the rubber is perfect and cushions the lens nicely.
    Now for my offer - I had to get a pack of 10. I have the 'extra' parts that are left over. If anyone wants one or two - PM me and let me know. First come - first served for anyone that wants my extra's. I also have the ones that are shorter - I'd be happy to send those out if I run out of the longer ones.
    For those that would like to know the AS #.... AS568A-253 is just a shade long. AS568A-251 is 'ok'. I should have tried the AS568A-252 to see how it fits. :)
  • Ballast Resistor
    I recently installed a new distributor. In messing around with the electrical connections when it was installed - I found the ceramic housing of my ballast resistor had cracked in half. Finding a replacement proved to be interesting.
    Even with the Bosh P/N & resistance value..... I had a hard time finding an equivalent short of spending $70.
    I came across a Mercedes series of Bosch and Beru ballasts.
    F3020-11627 is the WorldPac P/N for my 0.9 ohm ballast. Less than $30 from Importec.com :)
  • Alpina 16" Wheels (Reproductions)
    Some of you may remember this http://www.e9coupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4257 thread.
    Turned out the front tires clipped the fenders - just a shade. I had to get the fenders rolled. Not a huge deal - just one of those things. Thought folks would want to know.
That's it for now.... I'm sure there will be more that comes to mind.

Again - If anyone wants to take me up on the gasket material for the front turn lens' - just PM me.

Thanks-

lip277

Site Donor $
Reaction score
A follow up....

On the front turn signal o-rings....

I realize I wasn't quite clear above...
Just PM me that you would like one or two. I'll reply to your PM with my mailing address.
You send me a SASE (self addressed stamped envelope) and I'll send the items back to you... No cost.
They are not doing me any good sitting on my shelf (and they weren't much $$ anyway).

Deal? :)

lip277

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I still have a few o-rings available if any more of you wish them.
Just PM me and I'll give you my address for you to send a SASE to. I'll then send the o-rings back in your envelope.

FYI -
I have mailed out all the envelopes that I have received (to date).

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
Just so you are not the only replying to yourself...;-) I think it's very cool that you are posting all this for the benefit of all...thanks in advance so when I finally get a coupe (if I don't lose interest first...) I can come back and read all about it again when I have this problem :)

Ed G

Site Donor
Reaction score
Instant adhesive (super glue) works well on standard o-ring compounds (nitrile). In fact, Loctite may still sell an o-ring design kit that consists of nothing more than some o-ring cord stock, instant adhesive, a fixture to insure a square cut of the cord, and some sealant for the bond area. I wouldn't worry about sealing. But I would position the seam on the bottom of the assembly when you're done just in case the bond degrades and separates a few years down the road.

Long story short- If you need a custom sized o-ring- cut it and glue it.

lip277

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Glad to help out the 'coupe group' as my wife calls you guys... (and gals too)

Yes - if you wish to splice the cut ends back together - by all means do so. And yes also - I have the cut ends on the bottom in the middle... seems to work well.
So well in fact...

I had the CS out a couple of weeks back. Took her for a ~300 mile drive. Lots of bugs and road grime so I needed to wash her before I put her to bed for (probably) the winter...
I was drying her off when I noticed some condensation inside the front turn lens on the 'OE' gasketed side. The other 'o-ring' side was nice and clear. No water in at all. I think I'll put an o-ring on that side too and 'save' the original gasket for posterity.

As far as the o-rings go...
I have mailed out (or will Monday) all the envelopes I have received to date. I need to check the POB again so if you recently sent me an envelope - I'll receive it shortly.
Still a few of the 'longer' o-rings are available so... just let me know if you'd like one or two. See post #2 above for how to contact me.

Thanks

lip277

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I have now sent out all the o-rings that I have received requests for.

I have a few left if anyone has any desires - But I think this train is winding down.....

Again - PM me if you want any. I probably have 2 or 3 sets still here.

Honolulu

Reaction score
Here's a neat link to a table of o-ring sizes http://hawthornerubber.com/AS-568A-201.html

O-ring -253 based on actual ID, c = pi*d = 16.83" "just a shade long",
O-ring -252 will be 16.44" long
O-ring -251 which was "okay" is 16.05" long

sounds like the -252 might be your best bet. Available in 10-packs, but your local bearing supply house might cut a deal for just one or two. Can't beat free, though.